problem with soil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dankels

i just realized the soil im using, MG organic choice, is a garden soil and says not to use in pots, i have a feeling this is going to cause a problem with water retention, i used a 3:1 mix of soil, perlite, and peatmoss, the soil would stay mosit for 3-5 days when they were in plastic solo cups now they are in 3g planter bags and the soil has been damp for 5 maybe 6 days, anyone have any idea about what i should do?

if the plant has a lot of roots then there isn't too much you can do... i'd say replant in (if not other soil available) a 60/40 soil to perlite.. that'll kill the water retention rite easy.

i thoiught about doing that but im afraid of destroying the roots since theres no way to tell how much there is, what if i put a bunch of holes down the sides of the bags do you think this could help a little, i just dont want to take any chances by pulling them up and replanting them again

3:1 mix of soil, perlite, and peatmoss,
...interprated as 1/3 perlite??? is that correct?
..if so, that 'should' provide ample drainage. If you recently moved them out of cups into 3 gal. bags, it will take a week or 2 for the roots to grow out and utilize the space.
"DON'T" overwater....let them dry between waterings if it takes a week.

As long as you feel the soil farther down getting dry, then your probably ok. The only time you will run into problems is if your soil at the bottom never loses water, then it will rot and your roots will start to turn upwards. But if your soil gets dry and you have perlite, you should be ok.

i think it was TBG that told me once to use the MG feeds for 3 months so i did and it worked pretty good.... i had to do the same thing i had to pull mine up and replant in the good soil i just dug a big portion of the dirt out with the root ball and right before i put it back in i busted the dirt clump around the root ball and stuck it in the good soil really fast and covered it up .. watered it and waited it took about 5 days and the came around... breaking some of the little roots will not hurt anything it will just slow it down to recover then u will never know..... try to basically pull them up and plant them like a clone with the root ball hope this helps. good luck man

why are you using bags?? why not a rubbermaid tub if you want a space for them to strech out-???

3 gal containers would be fine too with that mix- 1/3 perlite is plenty!

i would never use bags agian for that reason....no arreation!

my worthless .02

yes hick its 1/3, it doesnt seem to be enough, the soil was slightly moist when i put it in the bags and i only put 100ml after i transplanted them so definately no overwatering, how long can my soil stay moist without causing problems? ill transplant them again if i have to i just really dont want to mess around with them. thanks everyone

I'm not familiar with those bags. They don't have any drainage?...or holes for aeriation?..

If not, "I" would recommend makeing some. Maybe an ice pick could be used to poke several holes down low in the bags. 1/3 perlite is plenty. Once transplant shock has passed and they start growing again, they should expand their roots and start useing more water. It may take a week or two for the roots to grow out into the medium and start uti;izing the moisture.

they do have drainage but no nearly as much as it should have, i just made a lot more last night so i guess ill see how that goes, thanks hick

Latest posts

Back