Proper way to ventilate a room

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickbait

Reaction score
Hi all im new to site and have read a lot of posts im setting up my first indoor grow room its size is 5x5x6.6 planning on using 1000 watt light with enclosed hood this will be my flower room. veg room is 2.6x5x6.6 and will have a 8 bulb flor. should have made clear this is one room with wall between flower and veg floor walls and ceiling are all insulated can wire as needed need to know right way to heat and ventilate an any other help I can get. have six months before I retire and want to get started. would appreciate any help you can give

Sounds similar to my garden room. Measure`s about 7'x7'x7' inside. Built in back corner of garage, up off floor, insulated on 6 sides. 2 passive intakes at floor level, 8" exhaust fan at ceiling level. Also have 2" squirrel cage type blower to use as exhaust fan during winter months. Have completed 6 grows using this garden room.

Was thinking can you hook filter to one side of enclosed light and then hook fan to other side pull air through filter then light and out of room with fresh air coming in from bottom of room.just trying to do it rioht thanks for imput

I don't quite understand your question?

Ventilation is one of those things that is kind of individualized and usually has to be kind of set up to the space and climate you have. But some things are common to every grow space. You need some kind of decent centrifuge type fan (one you can connect a filter to if you need it. You also need an oscillation fan to move the air around.

For the flowering room, I would recommend a 450 cfm fan. One of the common setups is filter-hood-fan. You can have ducting in between, but you want to keep it as straight as you can without sags. One bad sag is like 2 90 degree turns. Many locate the exhaust remotely from the growroom. In the winter when it is cold, I use the exhaust air from the vegging space to help heat the flowering space during lights out. I have a larger bathroom type exhaust fan located in the veg space that blows into the flowering space. This alleviates the need for an auxiliary heater in the flowering space if it gets too cool.

Are you using 4' T5 fluoros (54W 5000 lumen tubes)? The fluoros will not get too hot, so cooling them is generally quite easy...one of the things I love about them.

Put the grow space on its own circuit and make sure that the room is GFI protected.

Where these rooms are located will influence how the ventilation is dealt with. So, where is your space?

ok so if im reading this right hookin filter light and fan together is ok to do thank you for info. In your post you said you use your t5 to help heat your flower room this brings up another question how do you let heat and air circulate from veg to flower without letting light in flower room when it light out this is something I been trying to figer out. thanks for responding to my questions so fast you've been a lot of help now I have to go blow some more snow later

forgot to tell you grow room is in 32x40 poll barn and I live in Michigan also have t5 8 bulb in veg with a barn this size can I exhaust in barn and draw fresh air also

Check out light traps. You can build some kind of box or use ducting that creates a light trap. The volume of air from the veg to the flowering room does not have to be high volume so putting some kind of light trap (kind of like a water p-trap) will not hurt.

Hi all im new to site and have read a lot of posts im setting up my first indoor grow room its size is 5x5x6.6 planning on using 1000 watt light with enclosed hood this will be my flower room. veg room is 2.6x5x6.6 and will have a 8 bulb flor. should have made clear this is one room with wall between flower and veg floor walls and ceiling are all insulated can wire as needed need to know right way to heat and ventilate an any other help I can get. have six months before I retire and want to get started. would appreciate any help you can give

You want to exchange all the air in the room 3 - 4 times an hour. (Edited --> WRONG! THG caught it, 5 - 8 times an hour, sorry)
You also want a little more air out than in. You'll have to do some math. The fans move Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM). Heat will drive you crazy with the 1k streetlight too, you may want to put it in a tube (unless that is what you meant by enclosed)

Last edited:
stick,
Michigan huh ? Yooper or troll ? Your set up sounds similar to mine, other then I use LED`s. My garden room is in a corner of my garage (30x50) up off the floor. Garage has 3 courses of blocks, with a 8 foot 2x6 wall on top. I exhaust the room into the garage itself, with no problems through 6 grows. Also grow year round. Room is well insulated.

PS,
Garage is 30'x50', room is 7'x7', use 6.5'x3' to grow in.

Last edited:
You want to exchange all the air in the room 3 - 4 times an hour. You also want a little more air out than in. You'll have to do some math. The fans move Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM). Heat will drive you crazy with the 1k streetlight too, you may want to put it in a tube (unless that is what you meant by enclosed)

You really need to exchange your air a lot more than several times an hour. You want to exchange the air in your space at least once every 3 to 4 minutes. I personally like to exchange mine more often--at least 2-3 times a minute, if possible.

I run a 448 cfm Vortex for a space that is 3 x 6.5 and has a 1000W in it. I have a large air coolable hood. The fan is located remotely from the closet and connected with 6" insulated ducting.

Yes, an enclosed hood is an air coolable hood. I, personally, find cool tubes too small for 1000w lights. I prefer larger air coolable hoods over cool tubes when you get into bigger wattages.

And I promised I wouldn't do that.... my apologies, Stickbait
Good thing TheHempGoddess is keeping an eye on me, thanks THG.
I remembered that wrong... evacuate *at least* every 5 - 8 minutes....
I should be running my exhaust fan for at least 2 minutes every 10 minutes but I'm poor so I go 2 minutes every 15 and shot off my mouth before thinking... sheesh, I'm part of the very problem I whine about.

I was thinking around 600 cfm for a room the size of mine do you run your fan 24/7 or just when 1000 watt is on thanks for your help.also I live under the bridge in west Michigan

And I promised I wouldn't do that.... my apologies, Stickbait
Good thing TheHempGoddess is keeping an eye on me, thanks THG.
I remembered that wrong... evacuate *at least* every 5 - 8 minutes....
I should be running my exhaust fan for at least 2 minutes every 10 minutes but I'm poor so I go 2 minutes every 15 and shot off my mouth before thinking... sheesh, I'm part of the very problem I whine about.

You should be running your exhaust 24/7. Running on intervals is not what THG is reffering too, she is saying cubic feet of room compared to CFM rating of fan, with a speed controller if needed, anyone worried about odour will tell you shutting exhaust off only causes a big stink! as well as some other issues.

I was thinking around 600 cfm for a room the size of mine do you run your fan 24/7 or just when 1000 watt is on thanks for your help.also I live under the bridge in west Michigan

Run it 24/7 your flower room is 165 cubic feet, so a 600 cfm will do nicely. You want to run it 24/7 for odour and proper air exchange, it will prevent serious issues like powdery mildew.

You should be running your exhaust 24/7. Running on intervals is not what THG is reffering too, she is saying cubic feet of room compared to CFM rating of fan, with a speed controller if needed, anyone worried about odour will tell you shutting exhaust off only causes a big stink! as well as some other issues.

Dman is correct. You run your fan all the time. Turning it on and off multiple times an hour is hard on the fan. And the fan does not take enough power that turning it on and off like this is going to save you much. So no real upside to this and a lot of potential downsides. Exchanging your air x number of times a minute refers to what your fan does when running all the time at full capacity. I have a space a bit under 150 cu ft. I run a fan that is capable of 448 cfm per minute, so my room exchanges the air almost 3 times a minute.

Man this is what makes site so good I was planning on running fan only when lights are on can you suggest a good fan to use sounds like im going to need a good one. do you run a intake fan also or not and what do you all use for intake filter im building room as tight as I can don't want any bugs or light getting in thank everyone for your quick response iam enjoying building this cant weight to start growing

I recommend a Vortex fan.

Old screens work well

Yeah you cant go wrong with a vortex, extremely well made and 10 year garantee i believe, they are a bit pricey and there are other options, but for piece of mind this is the way to go, most find that intake fans arent needed, just passive intake.

I was trying to figure out how old my Vortex was. I think it has to be probably 8 years old and still running fine. LOL--I have a spare fan that sat in storage so long, I loaned it to a friend starting a grow up so they didn't have to try and buy everything at once.

I have never found need for an intake fan. I put screen over my intakes, like duck mentioned. I pull cool air from my crawl space to cool my lights.

Latest posts

Back