pruning (good or bad)???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420 4 ever

hey all, i was just wondering if pruning was a must or not, and if so when do you start.

I prune when I have to only. I LST first as it is less stress on the plant. bend it and tie it down before you start cutting. but if you prune right. Prune what you can clone.

Prune the fuckers if you don't mind waiting. I just pruned the piss out of mine. Got 6 clones.

the only time i prune is when i want a bush and not a tree.

Ohhhhhh Nooooooo, not the pruning vs LST wars.

LST will move your branches into areas that normally would not have growth.

It will also let side branches grow as main branches.

Pruning will create a pairing of new growth by creating two branches from each one.

Pruning is not cloning.

Cloning is taking a 4 to 6 inch cutting from a plant to start a new plant.

Pruning is trimming the topmost part of the plant off to promote different growth.

It depends on what you want to have as an end result.

Short plants: Use pruning to develop the most branches. Prune only the new growth from the tip to one node below. The branch must have at least 3 or 4 nodes on it before pruning. That's the same with the two new branches that grow from the pruned one.

Never prune more than 30 percent of the available tips. If you do, you run a risk of over stressing the plant and creating a Hermie. That's not an absolute, but I've seen it happen.

If you have the room for tall plants at harvest, then use a combination of both pruning and LST.

LST first, to provide a full grow area. Then prune to max out the growing tips. Do this until the plant is two weeks from flowering. By then, you should have the proverbial "sea of green". The topmost level of the plants should be almost the same exact height and you should have one plant tip touching another across the entire growing area.

The point is to make as many top buds as possible in your grow area.

By using both of these techniques, you're maximising your plants potential.

Oh man.. I thought they were the same... You're right though, seems they're not.

Eggman said:
Oh man.. I thought they were the same... You're right though, seems they're not.
Don't feel bad. A lot of people are confused about pruning and cloning.

I start puning as soon as the plant develops it's first 4 nodes. Then I have twice as many branches to use LST on. I alternate pruning and LST from then on, until I've got the branches filling my grow space on the first level. Then, I use pruning to develop more branches until the plants are two weeks from flowering.

Each time you prune, the plant will slow it's growth while it repairs the damage from the pruning. This is much more noticable in dirt than in Hydro. Dirt will take up to two weeks to repair itself. Hydro takes only a few days. It's another advantage of Hydro.

Good luck.

they say it not really good in flower stage ,i guess because you may cut the flowers that grow the buds ,but the fan leaves should be okay in flower,in veg ,you can prune all the dead leaves you want.if there completly dead just cut it ,its taking energy from the rest of the plant

A little pruning is good. but never cut living fan leaves. those are the solar collectors for the plant. Those are the main leaves catching the light.

Like Gqone said. You can trim off dead leaves.

When pruning, I only prune growth on the lower half of the plant, this is to aid air flow and help the plant concentrate on producing nice colas.

That being said, I only do this typing of pruning during the vegatative stage of growth. Never prune during flowering, at that point, the buds need every last leaf on that plant to help them get nutrients. This is why nearly all if not all fan leaves die nearing the end of flowering, because the fan leaves are 'giving up' the last of their nutrients to the buds to help the buds, because of this the fan leaf obviously no longer has the nutrients it needs to survive, and dies.

What if you cut off everything but single leaves so that you have one tip at top of your tree? Thats what i just did to all 6 of my plants and i'm worried i just did st stupid.

rebelwithoutacause said:
What if you cut off everything but single leaves so that you have one tip at top of your tree? Thats what i just did to all 6 of my plants and i'm worried i just did st stupid.
let me get this straight. you cut off all your leaves and branches and just left the top? is this right?

Does anyone have a pic of were to cut the plant to top it. Also tell how old it is? I just got some blueberry and dont want to mess up and cut the wrong place and kill it.

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
let me get this straight. you cut off all your leaves and branches and just left the top? is this right?

No I cut off all the shoots, there are still allot of leaves but i only left the ones that aren't creating new shoots. On the tops there are still a couple new shoots on each plant though but there like 1''-2'' ones.

Latest posts

Back