Pruning/training tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greengal

Reaction score
Heyy I’m looking for some pruning or training tips/ideas for these gals. They’ve got a lot going on n I’ll be flipping them to flower soon. Thanks!

Attachments

• D3BA8B4A-605D-41C8-B919-C8E9BE6004BF.jpeg
    D3BA8B4A-605D-41C8-B919-C8E9BE6004BF.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 3A4E6E0F-3F41-4A87-808F-DD0D2EE1699D.jpeg
    3A4E6E0F-3F41-4A87-808F-DD0D2EE1699D.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 559D6D57-CD92-4A53-91D8-D43EC322DE05.jpeg
    559D6D57-CD92-4A53-91D8-D43EC322DE05.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 10
Climb on YouTube and put pruning and training marijuana plants in the search. You'll find enough to occupy the evening watching all the different methods.
If you're growing in a tent, you don't want them to get too bushy 'cause they'll be prone to mold if packed in too tight, but height is a problem, too. A room or outside is a whole different kettle of fish.

Healthy looking plants!

Hey thanks. I’ve watched a handful and get confused pretty quick. Scrog, lst, defoliate... huh?? I Have a few other plants that aren’t so bushy that I think I can manage but these... there’s just so much I don’t know where to start. What would you do?

First off, don't over think it. Second, don't sweat it. It's a weed. It'll happily grow in the cracks of a sidewalk given a little rain and a lot of sunshine.
Now, if you want to grow world class weed, you'll need some of the others to chime in. If you want to grow stuff that slaps me silly, just keep doing what you're doing. If and when you run into problems, just holler. There's a bunch of really good amateurs' and some out and out pros on this site.

When it comes to the Youtube stuff, ya gotta kinda let common sense guide ya. Try what you think will work and keep records of your results. Everybody is a beginner when they start, and trial and error are great teachers.

Defoliation is good. If you think you over did it, you probably didn’t. The plants fill back in pretty well. Like hippy said though, watch some videos. If it looks suspect, it probably is. Being that this is your first grow, less of any of the options(LST, defoliation, etc) is better. Keep goo notes on what you do, what works and what doesn’t. I know that doesn’t sound helpful but again, as hippy said, these plants will grow from a crack in a sidewalk. Big’s advice to trim the lower leaves and stems are good practice as well. Those will not give you much of anything by harvest time. Your plants look good. Looks like one of your plants may have been in the corner of your tent. I rotate my plants to even out the structure. Get one griw under your belt and read, read, read. Any problems, ask as soon as you see them. People on here have seen it all.

The ones you describe as bushy might be a good field trial of a little defoliation. Go easy at first. You'll get a feel for it.
Lol I thought I had defoliated these a week or so ago... and I thought I had taken out a lot

Defoliation is good. If you think you over did it, you probably didn’t. The plants fill back in pretty well. Like hippy said though, watch some videos. If it looks suspect, it probably is. Being that this is your first grow, less of any of the options(LST, defoliation, etc) is better. Keep goo notes on what you do, what works and what doesn’t. I know that doesn’t sound helpful but again, as hippy said, these plants will grow from a crack in a sidewalk. Big’s advice to trim the lower leaves and stems are good practice as well. Those will not give you much of anything by harvest time. Your plants look good. Looks like one of your plants may have been in the corner of your tent. I rotate my plants to even out the structure. Get one griw under your belt and read, read, read. Any problems, ask as soon as you see them. People on here have seen it all.
Thanks I’m working my way through Cervantes growing Bible. There’s A LOT to soak in

hey there

cut off the bottom three nodes of fan leaves and flower stems

before

View attachment 300034

after

View attachment 300035

before

View attachment 300036

after

View attachment 300037

chicken food

View attachment 300038
Gonna have to get my big girl pants on lol that looks drastic. Can you take off fan leaves in the middle of the plant to create more space? Does having that space really matter? My biggest concern is that there are so many colas tucked away in the bushy foliage that might not amount to much and take away from each other

yes you can remove some of the bigger fan leaves

this allows better light penetration and improves air circulation which helps reduce the chances of mold

one can remove about 20%-30% of the leaves and it will not have any negative consequences on photosynthesis

one can also remove the small inner lower bud sites , just pinch them off , and this will allow the outer colas to get bigger…..some call it lollipoping

all the best

yes you can remove some of the bigger fan leaves

this allows better light penetration and improves air circulation which helps reduce the chances of mold

one can remove about 20%-30% of the leaves and it will not have any negative consequences on photosynthesis

one can also remove the small inner lower bud sites , just pinch them off , and this will allow the outer colas to get bigger…..some call it lollipoping

all the best
Thank you

Latest posts

Back