Ptsd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya man i been having lightheaded instances to point of near collapse last few days, today literally had to sit in a chair last night had to hold on to a handrail till i regain conciseness basically scary as heck those are new last 4 5 days. ( since starting Propranolol 20mg day) lowers blood pressure i think but mine runs fine normally possibly light headed due to blood pressure? have and appt. the 1st

the seriquil at the dose i take does nothing for the nightmares it knocks u out but does not keep me asleep like a good weed high would, stuff makes me literally a zombie, bumping off walls to go to bathroom in middle of night does not keep me asleep but i can;t tolerate 100mg or wtv more other people can take. If I cloud stand those doses then maybe, seems a popular prescription for sleep but they do not want u using it for that go figure

Lamictal/Lamotrigine is the one that gives nightmares, due to increase that tomorrow not looking forward to that.

hxxp://veteransformedicalmarijuana.org/content/general-use-cannabis-ptsd-symptoms

General use of cannabis for PTSD Symptoms

Raphael Mechoulam, Ph.D.

Dr. Mechoulam is the Israeli scientist who identified THC as the psychoactive compound in marijuana, and decades later he discovered the brain's endocannabinoid system and the endogenous neurotransmitter anandamide. He is one of the most respected Israeli neuroscientists and has been a senior advisor to the Israeli government on marijuana policy and the ethics of research with human subjects. He discussed his experiments demonstrating the neuroprotective effects of the endocannabinoid system in mice that have had traumatic injuries to the brain. He believes the neuroprotective effects of marijuana may eventually have applications for other neurological and psychiatric conditions, including Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.

Another fascinating discovery, one with implications for PTSD, is that the cannabinoid system is integrally related to memory, specifically to memory extinction. Memory extinction is the normal, healthy process of removing associations from stimuli. Dr. Mechoulam explained that an animal which has been administered an electric shock after a certain noise will eventually forget about the shock after the noise appears alone for a few days. Mice without cannabinoid systems simply never forget - they continue to cringe at the noise indefinitely.

This has implications for patients with PTSD, who respond to stimuli that remind them of their initial trauma even when it is no longer appropriate. By aiding in memory extinction, marijuana could help patients reduce their association between stimuli (perhaps loud noises or stress) and the traumatic situations in their past. Working with Army psychiatrists, Dr. Mechoulam has obtained the necessary approvals for a study on PTSD in Israeli veterans, and hopes to begin the study soon.

The Alternative Medical Journal: General use of cannabis for PTSD Symptoms.

Despite the anecdotal evidence to the contrary, most of the experimental studies that have been conducted so far indicate that by and large the administration of exogenous cannabinoids such as vaporizing therapeutic cannabis may not be the most reliable nor effective means of utilizing the eCB system to treat anxiety and aversive memories such as those formed in PTSD. For reliable and truly effective treatment of these conditions it appears that restricting eCB breakdown by way of FAAH inhibition is the best target discovered so far within the eCB system. (The other eCB targets include the two primary receptors CB1/CB2, vanilloid receptors, eCB reuptake, as well as eCB production.) To this end, Kadmus Pharmaceuticals, Inc. has started to express serious interest in marketing a new FAAH inhibitor they have developed, currently code-named KDS-4103. KDS-4103 appears to have a lot of potential from a pharmacological perspective. Even though it produces analgesic, anxiolitic, and anti-depressant effects it otherwise does not produce a classic cannabis-like effect profile and animals easily discriminate between THC and KDS-4103. All this indicates that KDS-4103 does not produce a “high” like THC and other direct CB1 agonists. KDS-4103 is orally active in mammals and fails to elicit a systemic toxicity even at repeated dosages of 1,500mg/kg body mass. All other available evidence to date also suggests a very high therapeutic margin for KDS-4103. All in all, considering that the kinds of events which usually precipitate PTSD in most individuals often also involve pain, KDS-4103 seems like it may be just about the perfect medication.

So what should all this mean to the individual? Anecdotal evidence says by and large the use of therapeutic cannabis provides a significant improvement in quality of life both for those suffering from this malady and for their family and friends. Whether or not this is taking the fullest advantage possible of the eCB system in the treatment of PTSD is yet to be seen. Mostly the use of cannabis and THC to treat PTSD in humans appears to provide symptomological relief at best. In and of itself, there is nothing wrong with symptomological relief. That's what taking aspirin for a headache, a diuretic for high blood pressure, opiates to control severe pain, or olanzapine for rapid-cycling mania is all about. We do have the potential, however, to do better than just treating symptoms of PTSD via activation of the cannabinoid receptors. With the right combination of extinction/habituation therapy and the judicious administration of a FAAH inhibitor like KDS-4103 we have the potential to actually cure many cases of PTSD. For the time being though, symptomological treatments are all we have for more generalized anxiety and depression disorders.

If an individual were to want to get the most out of using therapeutic cannabis to improve a PTSD condition they should try to use low to moderate doses with as stable a blood level as possible for general anxiety and depression symptoms. Oral cannabis produces more stable blood levels. Since peak levels will produce the most soporific effect, administration of oral cannabis right before bed should produce the most benefits for improving sleep patterns. If the goal is to use cannabis to facilitate extinction of the response to PTSD triggers than small to moderate doses of cannabis vapors should be administered shortly before planned exposure to the trigger. A series of regular extinction sessions will produce better results than a single session. If cannabis appears to make aversion, fear, or aversive memories worse then the dosage should be lowered. If feelings of fear do not improve with lower dose then discontinue use of cannabis as fear-extinction aide.

In light of all evidence currently available, it is striking that the FDA refuses to investigate cannabinoids for the treatment of anxiety disorders like PTSD yet they have approved studies of MDMA, the club drug Ecstasy, for the treatment of PTSD (Doblin, 2002). Even if you do not accept cannabis as the answer itself, it should be hard to accept that by and large we still have not found effective and reliable ways to utilize the eCB system in modern western medicine. After all, the most potent (meaning it takes the least amount to produce a threshold effect) substance know to humans is not LSD as many still assume but is instead a derivative of fentanyl, know as Carfentanil. The threshold dosages for LSD and Carfentanil are 20-30µg (micrograms) and 1µg, respectively (Wikipedia, 2 & 3). This makes Carfentanil 10,000 times more potent than morphine, 100 times more potent than fentanyl, and 20-30 times more potent than LSD. At least up until 2005 and unlike LSD, Carfentanil was(is?) regulated as a Schedule II substance in the US (Erowid). For those that do not know, this means that despite perceived extreme dangers from use or abuse of this drug it is still assumed to have medical value. With the lives and well being of so many veterans AND private citizens at stake, those in the scientific community and police makers alike cannot afford to miss the wake up call. Even a child should be able to see the hypocrisy evident in the relative policies concerning cannabinoids and opiates. It is time to fix this appalling imbalance in our policies concerning the pharmacopia or else be the laughing stock of future generations.

hxxp://www.alternet.org/speakeasy/kristen-gwynne/veteran-faces-jail-time-treating-ptsd-medical-marijuana

Posted by Kristen Gwynne at 12:59 pm
March 5, 2013

Veteran Faces Jail Time for Treating PTSD With Medical Marijuana

In 2003, former U.S. Navy Corpsman Jeremy Usher returned from Iraq and Afghanistan, only to suffer from flashbacks of combat and a variety of mental health issues, including nightmares and insomnia, panic attacks, and depression. Thanks to medical marijuana, he is doing better, but is now facing jail time for choosing a medication the federal government refuses to legitimize.

A combat medic, Usher was on the back of a helicopter sent to rescue wounded marines when he was shot in the head, causing brain damage and memory loss and leaving him with a stutter. When he walked out of a treatment at a San Diego hospital, he was still not well, and according to the Greeley Tribune, "suffered form extreme paranoia as he wandered San Diego, constantly spinning around while walking to make sure no one was sneaking up on him."

According to the the Greeley Tribune, Usher then began self-medicating with alcohol, marking the beginnings of his criminal record. He is currently serving probation in Colorado -- where pot is now legal for adults -- for his second and third DUIs. Usher says he is cleaning up in his act in counseling and school, but is facing jail time for violating probation by treating his PTSD with medical marijuana nonetheless. For failing dozens of drug tests, he could do 29 days in jail.

Usher told the Greeley Tribune he feels like he is "being punished for being a little different" and "not understanding why." His doctors have written letters to the court explaining that medical marijuana and Marinol pills have helped treat his PTSD, and they recommend he stay on it. Nonetheless, America's draconian drug policy is now threatening to send a traumatized veteran to jail, where he worries his progress could begin to reverse

Surely, living without medication in jail, where the environment is often unpredictable and violent, is not beneficial to a PTSD sufferer's mental health. Moreover, if Usher is abstaining from drinking and using medical marijuana to treat the PTSD that caused his self-medication and run-ins with the law in the first place, identifying the public safety threat that might justify his incarceration is difficult, to say the least.

Usher maintains hope that he will be allowed to continue his medication, but also wants to prevent the same consequences for other veterans.

"I want to raise enough awareness so that this doesn't happen to guys coming out of there," Jeremy told the Greeley Tribune.

"I'm never going to be free of the flashes of the memories; I'm stuck with those for life. What I'm able to do is manage those in an appropriate manner, without just going out and cracking open a bottle."

The quantity of drugs I take would kill a lot of people. I dunno if I can still donate blood--I'd feel sorry for the poor vict...patient who received my blood (the nicotine in it wouldn't improve their chances :evil: ).

:48: :bump: it is amazing what they deem ok for us to take and the list of side effects most include Death,,, but don't smoke pot

hxxp://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/08/michigan_medical_marijuana_pan_1.html

August 06, 2013 at 5:53 PM, updated August 06, 2013 at 9:47 PM

LANSING, MI -- A state panel appointed to review Michigan's medical marijuana law gave preliminary approval on Tuesday to a citizen petition seeking to add post-traumatic stress disorder to the list of debilitating conditions that can qualify a patient for participation in the program.
The Michigan Marihuana Act Review Panel, in a 7-2 vote, recommended adding PTSD to the list. The preliminary vote will be followed by a public hearing, which must be scheduled within 60 days under state rules, before the panel reconvenes to make a formal recommendation.
The head of the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, the state agency responsible for appointing the panel and administering the medical marijuana program, will have final say on whether to add PTSD to the list of debilitating conditions.
LARA disbanded a previous iteration of the panel in April after acknowledging failure to appoint members in a manner consistent with administrative rules. The original panel had recommended adding PTSD, and the new-look group, whose members were appointed in June, followed suit in Tuesday's preliminary vote.
"In my opinion, marijuana is one of the best medications for people with PTSD," said appointee David Crocker, a medical doctor from Kalamazoo who serves as president of Michigan Holistic Health. "…We have a lot of veterans with PTSD in our clinics. Many of them will tell you they think marijuana saved their lives, and many of their families will tell you the same thing."
Jeanne Lewandowski of Detroit, a panel member who works as director of palliative medicine at St. John Hospital and Medical Center, spoke out against the petition and was one of two appointees to vote against it. She argued that marijuana could impair the ability of military veterans to reintegrate into society and said she was concerned about social isolation.

PTSD petitioner John Evans John Evans of Ann Arbor, a military veteran and medical marijuana user, explains why he filed a petition seeking to add PTSD to Michigan's law.

In a series of separate votes, the panel rejected petitions seeking to add insomnia, asthma and autism to the list of debilitating conditions under the law. The insomnia vote was preliminary, meaning it will also be subject to a public hearing followed by another vote.
The asthma and autism votes, however, were considered final because the previous iteration of the panel had already considered the petitions and LARA had organized public hearings, frustrating some members who felt the agency was employing a double standard.
"I didn't feel it was appropriate," said David Brogren of Bloomfield Hills, a non-physician panelist who serves as president of Cannabis Patients United. "They disbanded the original panel because it was put together in error. I don't believe the errors were malicious or anything like that -- it wasn't a conspiracy, they just made a mistake -- but I think what they should do was go back to square one on all (the petitions). That would be the most fair thing."
During a public comment section of Tuesday's panel meeting, several marijuana advocates criticized the state for its handling of the review panel, which was envisioned in the 2008 law, mandated by administrative rules established in 2009, but did not meet for the first time until 2012.
A number of advocates questioned whether LARA had again violated the administrative rules by appointing only six members to the panel who also serve on the state's Advisory Committee on Symptom Management. Seven are required.
But Carole Engle, director of LARA's bureau of health care services, expressed confidence that the panel was properly constituted and convened, noting that Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder is expected to appoint another member to the committee who would then serve on the panel moving forward.
"We are convinced that we are not wasting our time," Engle said in response to a question from a panel member. "…We're still missing one member from the advisory committee, but we do have a quorum of appropriately appointed members here today, and that should not impede the panel's ability to make decisions at all."

Thanks JAAM!

High CBD strains
Two years ago one analytic chemistry lab had begun testing Cannabis buds for potency in California, and one strain had been found to contain more than 4% Cannabidiol (CBD) by weight. Today there are at least 10 labs serving the industry in CA, Colorado, and Montana, and more than 25 CBD-rich strains have been identified (See list at right). Dedicated plant breeders aspire to produce strains stable enough to enable seed sales. As one skilled breeder reminds us, "stabilizing the genetics... is not just a simple F1 Hybrid between two parents that may or may not have the desired traits. Stabilization could take as many as five or six inbred generations beyond the original F1 cross to establish a homozygous gene condition for CBD." We asked the dean of West Coast plant breeders, DJ Short, to define his standard of stability. "If you cross it with itself, you get pretty much the same thing," he replied. DJ guarantees that at least 2 females (and 2 males) in your pack of 10 will display or exceed the advertised characteristics. That means half the seeds, based on an 80% sprout rate. DJ says he could cross more generations and approach 100% replicability, but he knows the buyers would rather have access now, on the two-out-of-10 basis. Lawrence Ringo of Southern Humboldt Seed Collective informs us that he has stabilized the CBD-rich Sour Tsunami strain and will make seeds available as of March 1! The Marketing of Cannabidiol Given the huge potential market for less psychoactive and non-psychoactive Cannabis, the introduction of CBD-rich medicine at the dispensary level can be seen as rather slow. Many dispensary owners have been reluctant to stock CBD-rich strains because their present customers are seeking —or are not adverse to— Cannabis that provides euphoria or sedation. In other words, THC content sells, it's a sure thing. Why should a dispensary spend money and devote shelf space to a type of Cannabis that most medical users haven't heard of and whose effects are unproven? Growers, in turn, have to anticipate the wants of dispensary buyers, and are reluctant to devote precious garden space to plants for which there is no established market. Demand at the dispensary level might not take off until effectiveness is established. Which might not happen until significant numbers of patients have tried CBD-rich Cannabis and results. Why the Occasional CBD-rich Strain? Why does it happen, that after generations of breeding Cannabis to maximize THC, about one in 500 samples tested by the labs is found to contain 4% CBD or more? This is one of many questions we hope to answer. A friend is convinced that a mutation gave rise to his True Blueberry x OG Kush cross, which typically contains 10% CBD or more. "Neither parent stock had CBD," he notes. It took a series of crosses and parent selections to produce his blue-ribbon strain. When and where would such a mutation occur? As the Cannabis plant matures, the common precursor to both CBD and THC is a molecule called cannabigerolic acid (CBGA). CBD Synthesis CBGA is turned into CBD acid and THC acid by enzymes called CBDA synthase and THCA synthase. A mutation resulting in excess CBDA synthase or deficient THCA synthase would result in CBD-rich offspring. We hope to track the similarities and differences reported between strains with similar cannabinoid ratios. Harlequin, Jamaican Lion and Omrita Rx3, for example, have been tested several times by several labs and are in the neighborhood of 8-9% CBD and 5.5-6% THC —about a 3:2 ratio. And yet anecdotal evidence suggests differing effects. We have only taken the first step on a long march towards understanding.

hxxp://canadianhempco.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_178

great person to follow= hxxps://www.facebook.com/ASpousesStoryPTSD

There are so many new faces on here that I want to jump back to something I try to touch on quite often.

“Self-Help”

Self-help is something that is urgent for those living with someone who suffers from PTSD AND for the one with PTSD themselves! PTSD can be very damaging to a person and/or family, so there are things you can do to keep yourself as well as your family balanced. Especially if you are one just starting to learn about it.

In the beginning I’m sure you are saying “I have no clue who I’m living with! This isn’t my spouse.” Well in a way you are right, but in a way you are wrong. Your spouse is still there, it’s just learning to cope and find the true them that is under the mask of PTSD.

PTSD can bring horrible things about. Verbal abuse… which is very common, sometimes physical abuse (which in this case you always have to make sure you are safe and seek professional help quickly!), they might throw things, anger can come out of nowhere, triggers which can be caused by a sight, a smell, something as simple to us as rain or wind, flashbacks… where to them they are actually reliving the event that took place, the nightmares… these can also cause them to be physically active in their sleep or talking/screaming out loud, anxiety, not wanting to be in crowds, some have difficulty with driving and staying focused, memory issues… and much more. Then as PTSD changes it’s what I call stage, they might cry a lot, feel depressed, and the worst complaint from spouses I hear is the lack of emotion, the numbness PTSD brings.

PTSD can be caused by many things trauma related… military, multiple deployments, a car accident, a natural disaster, a rape or attack, a surgery or hospital stay, child abuse, many things can be the cause all based around a trauma that was life threatening to yourself or even a loved or close one. Some people will develop it, some people won’t.

Secondary PTSD, Your own PTSD/symptoms, and Caregiver stress are very real, PTSD can effect others…

With all of this I’m sure you have said some time or another “I feel like I’m going crazy! How do I deal with this? I just want to run away! I’m so overwhelmed! I just want my husband/wife back!”

Guess what! There are ways of coping with all of this! I won’t lie, PTSD is not easy, life and fairy tale stories are not handed to you on a silver platter by any means, and you can’t just wave a magic wand and PTSD is gone… it’s not that easy and PTSD seems to be for life. BUT there is still life, there can still be family, there can still be a marriage in many cases. You have to find the coping skills, make sure treatment for the one suffering with PTSD is found, and work together instead of fighting with PTSD!

So, self-help…

* BREATHE!

Actually I’m being serious Breathing is a great way of coping. There are breathing skills you can learn which help when you feel your own anxiety starting or it’s one of those rough days. Learn and practice the same coping skills your loved one has been taught… and if they haven’t been taught, teach them! They help!

* Take time for yourself.

You don’t have time? You take care of your spouse and chase little ones around all day oh and to add in there work? Humm… let’s see, if you have time for all of that then you have 5, 10, or 15 minutes to break from that to take those few minutes for yourself. Taking just a few minutes out of the day to just focus on nothing, to just get outside by yourself, or do something you enjoy… will help! And if you don’t then I have a serious question for you…

If you don’t take time to take care of yourself, then how are you going to continue to function to take care of everything and everyone else?

I already know the answer, you won’t be able to! The weight of everything will be on your shoulders, you will find yourself becoming frustrated, short tempered, and sometimes even angry. You will start viewing life as it is not fair. And eventually secondary PTSD will grab a hold of you.

Take that time, it really is needed!

* Start a hobby.

* Exercise and make sure you eat right!

Even if it is something as simple as walking around the yard. Anything will help. And there are going to be days where you don’t want to cook, that’s okay! When you do cook, make extra to freeze for another day. Do simple dinners such as salads where each person can add their own toppings and such. But make sure you eat! If you don’t, you won’t have the energy to make it through the day and stay strong.

* Find a support group, talk to friends (if you have any left at this point… hard fact of PTSD is people seem to walk away when they don’t understand), go see a therapist yourself, anything that will help you to have someone to talk to. It’s not healthy keeping things bottled up inside, and when you do, that bottle is going to flow over sooner or later. (I do also have a closed support group on fb for loved ones of PTSD)

* Take time to talk with your partner.

Not argue, just talk. Communication is a huge key to maintaining balance in a relationship when PTSD is involved. When you know how each other is feeling or viewing things you can have a better understanding which leads to working on things and having a better relationship.

* Do something that makes YOU feel better!

Anything! I buy myself flowers once a month lol. I love the smell of them in the house, I smile when I walk through the room and see them, and I got them for myself… for me! You don’t have to wait to be given flowers, you also don’t have to dwell on it if someone else doesn’t get them for you, get them for yourself! I also have a goldfish pond, it gets me outside, it’s relaxing, and it’s a me thing. I am also a retired dog trainer, so I take time to work Alex, my dog, which I have also trained to work PTSD symptoms. Pets are know for reducing stress… let them!

* Keep a schedule for yourself.

Schedules are extremely hard with PTSD, but something simple like I will take a shower in the morning or before bed. When you have a full plate it’s easy to forget to do the simple things for yourself. Make sure you maintain those.

* Take time with your children/grand-children if you have them!

PTSD will take up a lot of your time. You still have to maintain the balance of family. Even if it’s taking time to watch a tv show with them or do a craft, bake something. On bad days, just walking in the room with them every now and then to say hey I love you and just wanted to check in on you (if they are old enough that they don’t need supervision of course). Take time to talk with them. And educate them on their age level about PTSD… it’s helps them understand better what the parent with PTSD is going through and helps you maintain the parent child balance.

* TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!

Whatever or however is comfortable for you, but just make sure you do it!

To say the least this is a short list of the many things you can come up with to do for yourself. But do something! You have to take care of yourself, finding ways to cope is a huge part of that. Many spouses of PTSD do have secondary PTSD, their own PTSD, or caregiver stress and in many cases it’s because they became overwhelmed before they even knew what was happening. Learn as much as you can as soon as you can, and know that each day is going to be different, each day is also a new day. Remember to smile! I know that’s a very hard thing to do, but you will be shocked how someone with PTSD will pick up on it and it might just make both of your day better. Hang in there and always know you are NEVER alone!

~Bec
“A Spouse’s Story…PTSD“

her site.

I feel we all know someone affected thru this.. Regardless of if you have it. My brother is putting our guys on copters in coffins in Afghanistan this is real! People need to wake up to this. I hid most of mine for almost 20yrs. ~NE

hxxp://aspousesstoryptsd.com/

Welcome to "A Spouse's Story...PTSD"

This is a place for ALL people, all nations, who have, are living with, know someone with PTSD, or would like to educate themselves on the subject for the benefit of others.

Let me say "Hello" you can call me Bec, Becky, or Rebecca, lol...any are just fine. I am the spouse of a United States Disabled Veteran with PTSD and several other disabilities, not visible...my dear husband Craig. Just to set it straight, Craig is onboard with this.

PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE NOT DOCTORS or in the medical field, we are a family that lives every day with PTSD. If you have an emergency please contact your local emergency hotline.

This site includes important information about and concerning PTSD and at times other mental illnesses, contact information for support groups, hotlines and crisis phones numbers, online links and other resources, service dog information, ways to cope with PTSD...tips and tricks that work for us, information regarding children and PTSD, my journal page also known as a blog, and much more!

Having a place with real life information is one of the hardest parts of learning about PTSD as the one who suffers from it or as a spouse/loved one. I don't want others to be left out. You are NOT alone!

You can also follow us on FaceBook. You will find that our FaceBook page is the down to earth us and everyday life in general living with PTSD, some serious, some just fun, and a reminder that everyday life still exists. However, I have chosen for this web site to be a little more on the serious side. PTSD is no joke, it's real, and it effects people's lives in many ways that a person not having it would not understand unless educated on it. So, that is a big part of why I am here.

Welcome to the "family"!

~Bec

More reasons to just smoke mmj

Antipsychotic Medication and Weight Gain

Why does taking Seroquel, or other antipsychotic drugs for biplolar disorder and schizophrenia, make patients pack on the pounds and gain weight.
Mar 25, 2013

Why Does Seroquel Lead to Weight Gain? Seroquel® (quetiapine fumarate), and other atypical antipsychotic medications, such as Zyprexa® (olanzapine), Risperdal® (risperidone), Clozaril® (clozapine), drugs commonly prescribed for the management of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, often have the unwanted side effect of weight gain as well as an increased risk of diabetes. Does this mean patients are forced to choose between their mental and physical health?Why Do Atypical Antipsychotics Lead to Weight Gain?

oes help but the government won't admit it,, I know i'm a vet wit PTSD,,
just got tired of takin some many pills for this n more for that ,,, just dropped the program n use MJ. now I have better control. just have to take control ,, of sound n smell,, those too trigger PTSD

lovbnstoned :cool: :icon_smile:
ol stoner :tokie:

Mental Health Stigma: Prejudice and Discrimination

Stigma.

It’s an ugly, six letter word that can single-handedly dictate how your life will turn out. Mental health stigma can mean the difference between getting that dream job, or remaining unemployed. Between getting that coveted boyfriend or girlfriend, or remaining single. It can also mean the difference between remaining in hiding or coming out of the mental health closet.

Even though stigma has the ability to take control of one’s life, it is ultimately what we do with it that matters. If you have been diagnosed with a major mental illness, you may believe that you have to face the rest of your life shrouded in a veil of secrecy. I make that assumption because for nearly fifteen years, I felt the exact same way.
The Definition of Mental Health Stigma

Everyone who has dealt first-hand with the stigma around mental illness likely has a working definition in their mind, but the people at The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health sum it up quite nicely.

“Stigma refers to negative attitudes (prejudice) and negative behavior (discrimination) towards people with substance use and mental health problems.”

Mental health stigma knows no bounds and is constantly on the move. It can catch you in the workplace or in the classroom. It can interfere with making friends and can even interfere with keeping friends. But since stigma has to begin with a negative attitude or prejudice, if we can lessen the prejudice, we should in theory be able to lessen the discrimination.

People fear what they don’t understand. And let’s face it, mental health has only recently begun to even be an acceptable topic of conversation. Unfortunately, for many, it is still a topic that sends shivers down spines but it doesn’t have to stay that way. By simply talking about it, we normalize it. I have a feeling that, eventually, people will start to understand.

I never told any friends, coworkers or even romantic partners that I had been hospitalized against my will for over four months for drug-induced psychosis. I never told them that I was once again hospitalized for several months for major depression. Why? Because of stigma.
The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy of Stigma

But just how much of that mental health stigma was created in my own mind? Because now, I’m open and honest about my history and life couldn’t be better.

It feels great not having to create convoluted stories to mask the several years of my life spent in psychiatric chaos. I no longer have to fill my resume with white lies to cover the times spent in the psychiatric hospital.

Everyone is different and everyone should come out about their own mental health issues at the right time for them and, preferably, with proper support.

But for me, the time is now and my only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner.

apprecte all the info

Through the Looking Glass: Social Anxiety and Self-Absorption
By LAURA L. SMITH, PH.D.

Mirror mirror on the wall, why is everyone always looking at me? Some people believe that others are always looking at them and judging them quite harshly. It’s like there are mirrors everywhere and they all reflect imperfections.

People have social anxiety when this feeling becomes overwhelming and interferes with daily life. Symptoms of social anxiety include fears of:

public speaking
going to parties
meeting new people
speaking up to authority figures
eating in pubic
Anxiety in those with social phobia usually includes physical symptoms such as sweating, rapid heart rate, upset stomach, flushed face, and shakiness. The prominent emotions are fear and dread. The difference between shyness and social phobia is one of degree—those with social anxiety have a very, very bad case of shyness that leads to severe limitations in life.

People with social phobia believe that they will certainly be humiliated, embarrassed, or shown to be inadequate. It’s no wonder that those with social anxiety tend to withdraw from others. And the more they withdraw, the more anxiety wins.

Social phobia can be successfully treated with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Elsewhere in this blog we have written about exposure which is the “B” in CBT. Exposure involves coming face to face with fear, usually done in a planned, systematic way. The cognitive part of treatment involves looking at the way thoughts influence feelings, helping clients identify unhelpful thoughts, and replacing them with more adaptive thoughts.

Self-absorption is a common theme of the thoughts of those with social anxiety. Self-absorption involves paying excessive attention to oneself. It’s like a camera is constantly turned on to you and the picture it transmits is too bright and quite unflattering. Common thoughts related to this theme include:

Everyone is looking at me
I might go crazy
I’m not capable of handling this
I must look foolish
I can’t stand to be in public
I know I’ll sound stupid
So how does one address the self-absorption underlying such socially anxious thinking? Realize that the rest of the world does not focus on you nearly as much as you think. Typically people walk around more focused on their own concerns than on judging you or others.

Start noticing how often you see other people doing exactly what you worry so much about. For example, listen to two people talking at a gathering. Inevitably, you’ll hear a few unintelligible phrases, social gaffes, boring, or grammatically incorrect statements. So what? Do you evaluate others as harshly as you do yourself? Probably not.

If your social anxiety interferes with your life, makes you miserable, or keeps you from doing what you want to do, there are treatments that work. Please seek help and be kind to yourself.

lovbnstoned said:
apprecte all the info

ty man have not been on here since the KK stuff but figured the post was worty gl to all

BTW he warned me for posting in here... pretty much told me to stop spammming soooo i left

How in the heck we're you spamming?!? This thread's very much akin to my sticky in Coffee Table. "How Has Cannabis Helped You", and is more then merits it's own thread. And once again. good on you for posting all this info regarding PTSD.

Does that mean I'm spamming too...lol?

7greeneyes said:
How in the heck we're you spamming?!? This thread's very much akin to my sticky in Coffee Table. "How Has Cannabis Helped You", and is more then merits it's own thread. And once again. good on you for posting all this info regarding PTSD.

Does that mean I'm spamming too...lol?

:yeahthat: N.E.wguy, I haven't seen you post anything that would qualify as spam. :confused2: Even PTSD patients who don't use medicinal bud will benefit from these articles. I've had PTSD for at least 35 years and there is info in the articles of which I wasn't aware but that I would consider essential. Good work and green mojo for all the hardcore research.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder May Be Treated With Herbs
hmmp://atlantablackstar.com/2013/09/17/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-may-treatable-using-herbs/
September 17, 2013 | Posted by G. Thorpe
Tagged With: Post traumatic stress disorder, Post traumatic stress disorder cures, Post traumatic stress disorder treatment, PTSD

Post traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, is a psychiatric condition that often arises after an individual witnesses or is involved in a life-threatening event such as a disaster, rape or violent assault. Children and adults experiencing PTSD can relive the terrifying experience through nightmares, flashbacks and behavioral disorders including insomnia, crying and depression.
They may feel estranged or detached from familiar surroundings, family members, friends and pets. In many cases PTSD can be so severe as to interfere profoundly with the sufferer’s daily life.
PTSD is not new, it is known by other names including battle fatigue, shell shock, survivor’s guilt, and traumatic neurosis. The disorder is defined by a set of symptoms such as hypervigilance, becoming easily startled, anxiety, irritability, cognitive dysfunction, anger, mood changes, fearfulness, numbness, inability to experience joy or pleasure, loss of memory and avoiding areas associated with the trauma.
Natural remedies can help ease symptoms and support sufferers through the healing process to recovery.
Homeopathy
Homeopathic remedies have been shown to have a profound effect on children and adults suffering from PTSD, according to Dr. Edward Shalts, former vice president of the National Center of Homeopathy.
The psychiatric diagnosis of PTSD requires that one or more of the above symptoms be present for more than one month after the traumatic event. For initial trauma treatment of shock, ailments from fright and grief, see a Natural News article here: hxx p://www.naturalnews.com
Homeopathic remedies for PTSD
Stramonium is effective for nightmares and night terrors, especially when the child is afraid to be left alone in the dark. Helpful for anxiety disorders after experiencing violence, anguish, fear and sleeplessness.
Mancinella helps children especially — and battered women — or anyone who feels they are under the control of another person or some outside entity.
Gelsemium quells anticipatory fears that something bad will happen in the future. The child often feels weak, with heavy eyelids, occipital headache and may have diarrhea.
Staphysagria helps children and adults deal with nightmares after violence. People needing staphysagria feel powerless and unable to defend themselves. They are often perceived as being very sweet, but, they are unable to deal with grief or anger, suppressing it until they erupt in outbursts of rage.
Chamomilla brings a sense of calmness to children who have experienced severe trauma and then become hypervigilant and hypersensitive. They may complain of stomachaches and be overly sensitive to noise and music. Being gently rocked often brings relief.
Herbal remedies for PTSD
Certain herbs are known for their ability to relieve stress, anxiety and other feelings, which may be covered under the scope of PTSD symptoms.
Hops eases stress, nervousness and restlessness. It’s useful for the treatment of anxiety disorders, insomnia and pain. Hops are antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory and have sedative properties, making it an excellent herb for muscle spasms.

url: hMPp://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2013/how-old-memories-fade-away-0918.html

How old memories fade away
Discovery of a gene essential for memory extinction could lead to new PTSD treatments.

If you got beat up by a bully on your walk home from school every day, you would probably become very afraid of the spot where you usually met him. However, if the bully moved out of town, you would gradually cease to fear that area.

Neuroscientists call this phenomenon “memory extinction”: Conditioned responses fade away as older memories are replaced with new experiences.

A new study from MIT reveals a gene that is critical to the process of memory extinction. Enhancing the activity of this gene, known as Tet1, might benefit people with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) by making it easier to replace fearful memories with more positive associations, says Li-Huei Tsai, director of MIT’s Picower Institute for Learning and Memory.

The Tet1 gene appears to control a small group of other genes necessary for memory extinction. “If there is a way to significantly boost the expression of these genes, then extinction learning is going to be much more active,” says Tsai, the Picower Professor of Neuroscience at MIT and senior author of a paper appearing in the Sept. 18 issue of the journal Neuron.

The paper’s lead authors are Andrii Rudenko, a postdoc at the Picower Institute, and Meelad Dawlaty, a postdoc at the Whitehead Institute.

New and old memories

Tsai’s team worked with researchers in MIT biology professor Rudolf Jaenisch’s lab at the Whitehead to study mice with the Tet1 gene knocked out. Tet1 and other Tet proteins help regulate the modifications of DNA that determine whether a particular gene will be expressed or not. Tet proteins are very abundant in the brain, which made scientists suspect they might be involved in learning and memory.

To their surprise, the researchers found that mice without Tet1 were perfectly able to form memories and learn new tasks. However, when the team began to study memory extinction, significant differences emerged.

To measure the mice’s ability to extinguish memories, the researchers conditioned the mice to fear a particular cage where they received a mild shock. Once the memory was formed, the researchers then put the mice in the cage but did not deliver the shock. After a while, mice with normal Tet1 levels lost their fear of the cage as new memories replaced the old ones.

“What happens during memory extinction is not erasure of the original memory,” Tsai says. “The old trace of memory is telling the mice that this place is dangerous. But the new memory informs the mice that this place is actually safe. There are two choices of memory that are competing with each other.”

In normal mice, the new memory wins out. However, mice lacking Tet1 remain fearful. “They don’t relearn properly,” Rudenko says. “They’re kind of getting stuck and cannot extinguish the old memory.”

In another set of experiments involving spatial memory, the researchers found that mice lacking the Tet1 gene were able to learn to navigate a water maze, but were unable to extinguish the memory.

Control of memory genes

The researchers found that Tet1 exerts its effects on memory by altering the levels of DNA methylation, a modification that controls access to genes. High methylation levels block the promoter regions of genes and prevent them from being turned on, while lower levels allow them to be expressed.

Many proteins that methylate DNA have been identified, but Tet1 and other Tet proteins have the reverse effect, removing DNA methylation. The MIT team found that mice lacking Tet1 had much lower levels of hydroxymethylation — an intermediate step in the removal of methylation — in the hippocampus and the cortex, which are both key to learning and memory.

These changes in demethylation were most dramatic in a group of about 200 genes, including a small subset of so-called “immediate early genes,” which are critical for memory formation. In mice without Tet1, the immediate early genes were very highly methylated, making it difficult for those genes to be turned on.

In the promoter region of an immediate early gene known as Npas4 — which Yingxi Li, the Frederick A. and Carole J. Middleton Career Development Assistant Professor of Neuroscience at MIT, recently showed regulates other immediate early genes — the researchers found methylation levels close to 60 percent, compared to 8 percent in normal mice.

“It’s a huge increase in methylation, and we think that is most likely to explain why Npas4 is so drastically downregulated in the Tet1 knockout mice,” Tsai says.

“By demonstrating some of the ways that regulatory genes are methylated in response to Tet1 knockout and behavioral experience, the authors have taken an important step in identifying potential pharmacological treatment targets for disorders such as PTSD and addiction,” says Matthew Lattal, an associate professor of behavioral neuroscience at Oregon Health and Science University, who was not part of the research team.

Keeping genes poised

The researchers also discovered why the Tet1-deficient mice are still able to learn new things. During fear conditioning, methylation of the Npas4 gene goes down to around 20 percent, which appears to be low enough for the expression of Npas4 to turn on and help create new memories. The researchers suspect the fear stimulus is so strong that it activates other demethylation proteins — possibly Tet2 or Tet3 — that can compensate for the lack of Tet1.

During the memory-extinction training, however, the mice do not experience such a strong stimulus, so methylation levels remain high (around 40 percent) and Npas4 does not turn on.

The findings suggest that a threshold level of methylation is necessary for gene expression to take place, and that the job of Tet1 is to maintain low methylation, ensuring that the genes necessary for memory formation are poised and ready to turn on at the moment they are needed.

The researchers are now looking for ways to increase Tet1 levels artificially and studying whether such a boost could enhance memory extinction. They are also studying the effects of eliminating two or all three of the Tet enzymes.

“This will not only help us further delineate epigenetic regulation of memory formation and extinction, but will also unravel other potential functions of Tets and methylation in the brain beyond memory extinction,” Dawlaty says.

The research was funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Simons Foundation and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Latest posts

Back