Punching holes in PVC tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
I cut the holes in my PVC pipe for my drip tanks with a PVC cutter to produce a crossed hole that resembles a hash tag (pun intended). Then I punch the resulting diamond-shaped plug out through the pipe. Is there an easier way to cut the drip holes? I am afraid to use a drill bit because it may slip. TIA.

I dont think so. Large 2" drill bits come with or without a center drill. The center drill makes it very hard to slip, if you're careful..

I drill PVC pipe all the time. How large a hole do you need to drill? I can probably recommend the best type of bit. I have personally never seen a larger drill bit without an arbor...and if I did, I wouldn't use it. An arbor is a must on any larger bit.

If your talking Drip tubing. just fold it over and cut out a small piece with a razor knife.

if its drip line..I use a push pin to poke holes...makes for a nice mister

It is actually the hard white plastic pipe that comes in 10' units at Home Depot. I will dig out the piping of one of my drip systems so I can take a pic.

The white pipe is SCH 40 pipe and you have to drill it to get good looking holes. When I have to drill pipe I just do it on the front or back steps where I can hold it against the riser to the next step that way it can't move.

DO NOT drill pipe while holding it in your hand that a sure fire way to get to go see the docs

Just start your drill nice and slow, even if you have to drill a smaller pilot hole first.

I used a lot of this making my compost barrels and drilled holes every inch--I drilled hundreds of holes. I used a regular drill and spade bits for holes 1/4 and larger. I used small spiral type bits for small holes--under 1/4". I didn't have any problems--just make sure you hold the pipe tight and don't let that move. With small/light pieces of material, the drill motor tends to want to spin the material being drilled.

Take a pointed punch and ding it where you want the hole.
Keeps drill bits from "walking".

Take a red hot poker and make a small dot...drill in it

Use a cheap soldering iron.

OGKushman said:
Take a red hot poker and make a small dot...drill in it

Use a cheap soldering iron.
I used to melt holes in PVC with a lighter-heated coat hanger. The solder iron is a better idea.

Props for the info, people. :aok:

You might want to check if you are going to burn holes in it. I believe that PVC puts off toxic fumes/dioxins when burned.

not burn, no combustion people!

Just melt it enough to have a lip so the drill bit wont jump.

Its how I made a set of outdoor PVC overhead water mister system.

:confused2:No burn No Fire how we going to have fun?

Latest posts

Back