Purple Urkel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

villa029

Reaction score
I just bought about a 4" Purple Urkel plant from the cannabis club. I got a 12" pot and some potting soil OSH brand to put it in. I'm still thinking about what type of light I should get. I have a standard type of socket bulb and I was thinking of either a plant light 60W GE "to enhance plants visibility" or a standard 30W Flourescent bulb "energy save" or maybe even a soft white 60W, which of the three do you recommend? I'm very excited about it and will try to post pics of its development. I'm going to put it in my closet for most of the time w/ the occasional trip to the window natural light. I wanna keep my set up simple and wanna make it bud as soon as possible. I'll be relying heavily on your opinions. Can anyone tell me anything about this Purple Urkel?

Man, they sold you a plant without any info????
OK, get the 30 W florouscent on it and get a grow guide. Growing herb cannot be rushed. You need to have your set up done or you will be very dissapointed.
Here is a thread with valuable resources. After doin some reading come back and we will help you more specifically. The grow guide will give you the basics and need to know info. We will help you choose a light and things of that nature after you decide on where and what you want to achieve. ;)

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5837

Incadescent grow lights DO NOT WORK.
The flouro will keep it going until you get ready to roll. Keep the flo about 2-3" above the plant.

Alright I got questions about the lighting. I have a 30W flouroscent but I'm not sure if all florouscent are the same. The one I got is an energy saver and it's shape looks like a curly fry about 4" long and it plugs right into a standard socket. Also my friend is growing the same exact thing and has a GE 65W Plant Light that has a blue tint and is regular pear shaped. The box says its ideal to make plants look healthier but it doesn't say anything about promoting growth. Will his light work I'm not sure if it's considered to be incadescent and will my curly fry florouscent work for mine? Thanks in advance.

that 60W Grow light is an incadescnet. Won't grow herb.
the 30W flo is ok to get her to about the 2-3 node, but you will need more light.
Florous, High Pressure Sodium, Metal Halide, and LED Plant lights is the only thing that will grow herb.

That's what I thought thanks. I will set up my plant for the next few days with the 30W florouscent light but I'd like to know the recomended type of light along with wattage necessary in order to successfully grow my plant from its current stage up until time of harvest. I wouldn't like to have to be changing the bulbs. I just need to know the type of light and the wattage to grow ONE plant. I wanna keep it stupid simple and avoid ballast. Maybe something that will go into a standard bulb socket. Pics of my Purple Urkel here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/villa...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Urkel is a great strain, potent, tasty, all the right stuff. If you want to keep just one plant you could get a 125 or 150 HPS or something to that effect.

You see the HPS and MH lights are both over $100 and I'm not looking to spend that much. Is possible to buy the hps light bulb and stick in a regular lamp, or maybe try a halogen light, I'm just throwing ideas out there looking for the cheapest way to grow it indoors. I read that HPS lights are only to be used at secondary lights, what do you all think?

What ya read was wrong. HPS will suffice for the entire cycle, especially for a small grow. I don't use MH for veg. at all and have no issues, it's more of a belief or preference as far as I am concerned.
Halogen will cook and kill anything you put under it and doesn't carry any kind of spectrum you need. You need a powered ballast, either coil and core or digital type to power an HPS bulb.

Okay, so basically in order to grow my herb successfully I need to invest in a hps light fixture? Is there a more economical way around this?

Well, the reason why we all push HID lighting is after you grow your first plant. You will get addicted to growing. 1 plant won't cut it. Esp. under Flos. In the lighting section are stickies regarding each type of light.
Let me say. My first Indoor grow was florou. I invested 120 bucks included shipping on a 250W HPS. I will never go back. The yeild difference was so much better.
but if you do use florous. you have to train a lot more using pruning and LST methods combined. Like a Screen of Green Method (Scrog) and have a 4' (4) tube lighting to get 1-2 plants.(2) fixtures of 8 bulbs total would be better) Mix daylights and soft white bulbs.
But this won't save ya much money in the long run. As an HPS lumens per watt is more economical than florous over a course of time.
each tube is 40W times 8= 320 Watts. for pretty much the same lumens a 250W HPS produces.
I don't have exact figures.
Now the other option is to get a powerful grow florou from an online grow shop. Check out "Insane" Grow journal "heavenly Hash" or "Blu-n-Bed". He uses two of them and I think they screw into a regular socket. but they are 90 bucks a peice or so.

It seems unlikely for this to happen for me so I was wondering if maybe I could put it next to a window for natural sunlight and supplement it w/ florouscent. Do you guys know of the most economical place to buy these lights maybe even used.

There's usually all kinds of stuff on Ebay. Some of the grow shops sell used stuff too, I dunno if there's one around you or not.

one question VILLA where and how did u get a 4'' plant... i know u said cannabis club but i can't find this on the net is this a shop where u live..

thanks in advance

It's from one of the "medical dispensaries", probably here in Ca. They sell all kinds of plants, a fair amount do at least.

how can i get my hands on some or would i have to go to cal. or is it just for medical patients...thanks for the reply

It's for medical cases and anybody that can wander into one of the many doctors offices that write such prescriptions and cry about pain or sleeplessness and get a card. I'm fairly certain you'd have to be here.

Yeah I am not a member actually, my friend is and he got this plant from the Oakland, CA facility for about $20. It was actually 3" tall and had about 4 leaves w/ 2 more small one developing. I've had it now for 4 days and I've definitely w/o doubt seen it grown. It's growing good now w/ that flouro but I'm worried about not being able to accomodate an hps light soon. The top node has grown about 1/16" - 1/8" in the four days that I've had and the center leaves have opened up to a noticeable degree.

thanks for the info so i guess i can not order a clone on a site somewhere can i thanks anyways

Just a freindly reminder.;)

Marijuana Passion Forum User Guidelines said:
You will not use these Forums for the purposes of sharing or distributing Marijuana, Marijuana Seeds, Clones, cultivation equipment, or other information or products that could cause harm to Marijuana Passion or its affiliates.

Thanks everyone. Just didn't want this to go any further with the clone thing.

sorry mutt did not realize this will not speak of this again or anything of its nature

Latest posts

Back