Putting plants outdoors in late Aug. in Missouri

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinpanharry

Reaction score
Hello all!

First time poster here. I raised a few plants up to about 3 months old and about 3 feet high. They are good sized. My indoor flowering area is and will remain full for a few months, so on 8/25 I placed them in our garden. They are in cloth pots on plant stands. Not having grown outdoors before I wondered if I was incorrect in expecting them to flower out by 10/25 or so. Or is it too late in the season to do this? I am near St. Louis.

Thanks in advance,

Tinpan

Never tried it but I can’t hurt to try if you don’t have space indoors. I would think it will take them a while(a week or two) to acclimate to the sun and different environment though. That may delay harvest time. I wouldn’t bring them into your indoor grow area if they don’t completely finish outside. You could bring bugs inside. My outdoor plants will be in the 10th week of flower the last week of October(Massachusetts) to give you an idea of outdoor harvest time(though you are further south so you may be able to flower later into fall).

Not sure if they have enough time but you might be okay. My only concern is where you live and the drop in temps before they are finished. I believe yall will be in the lower 30s in october.

Last edited:
hello harry and welcome aboard

it all depends on your genetics

do you know what strains your plants are?

otherwise , it will be a roll of the dice , it will be close
The strains are Strawberry fields, Apple Fritter and Skunk hero.
Thanks for the reply!

The Indica heavy ones will finish first. Any Sativa heavy ones take longer. You might be pushing it a bit, but time will tell. I had (and misplaced) pics of a Sativa heavy plant that had gone through a couple of frosts and was actually covered in snow.

Snow Leopard pushed into middle of October 3 yrs ago …..

shook the snow off next morning and harvested 3 days later

58688800-A75B-483D-B152-D14A3B69C279.jpeg

Snow Leopard pushed into middle of October 3 yrs ago …..

shook the snow off next morning and harvested 3 days later

View attachment 308168
Did the cold kill the plant or was it time to harvest anyway? When my kids were young, we had a foot of snow one Halloween. It killed all my yard greenery so I assume it would kill a tropical plant like cannabis too.

Did the cold kill the plant or was it time to harvest anyway? When my kids were young, we had a foot of snow one Halloween. It killed all my yard greenery so I assume it would kill a tropical plant like cannabis too.

nope , did not hurt it one bit

the temps were just low enough to snow overnight and that is what I woke up to , 3-5 inches overnight

the next days temps were quickly above freezing and I just shook all the snow off and harvested the plant 3 days later

yes it was past ready but my first time growing this strandivar and I wanted to push it as far as I could to see what happens

we had already harvested other Snow Leopards a few weeks earlier

the snow did hurt the later watermelons and some tomatoes while other tomatoes lived

EAFA4E14-4D7A-4895-9ED0-6D3C401CE915.jpeg
7133AED7-26D4-4EF4-997D-551EE11700CB.jpeg
723E9084-1B67-4E80-B246-869B1ACF6216.jpeg
83F58027-A2E6-4AAF-9B1A-77B8440628E7.jpeg

part of the same garden before the snow

557327CE-81E2-4C03-9DE1-6292C35BECFB.jpeg

926908CF-6F67-49E3-9698-FE64D7EA0E3B.jpeg

I have to cover with a clear tarp and run an extention cord with a space heater just to finish some strains here in Michigan because the frost in October. Those last couple weeks..sheesh!..way worth it though! Your girls will thank you.

I find the flavors and fragrances are more pronounced outdoors than indoor grows

just my opinion and experience

Latest posts

Back