q's about watering the garden

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruufuus

novice ethnobotanist
Reaction score
Hey guys im 4 weeks into my coco grow, and i am wondering about my watering/feeding schedule. i have read that it is recommended to feed nutrients every other watering, is this the case? Also i am unsure just how often/how much to water each time. i have just been going by feel thus far and have not had any problems, but i want to maximize my growth by giving the plant just how much it wants when it wants it. i am growing in 3 gallon grow bags full of 80% coco 10% per lite and 10% vermiculite if that helps.

Basically i am flat out asking when should i water my plants, how much should i give each plant when watering, and how often should i alternate between nutrient water and purified water? i look forward to hearing back from you all. thanks in advance!

-RUUFUUS

Nobody can really answer that. You must just water them as you see they look droopy and/or the pot feels light. Always know how much your pot weighs(by feel) after watering then again when they are ready for more. Just pick up and practice and feel the weight. You will get a hang for it. Just takes time.

I grow in PROMIX HP (similer style to coco) and I go with a schedule of feed/feed/water (repeat)... so only water every 3rd time. I give them water until it starts to run out the bottom into the trays, about 4 liters water for 18 liters of soil is what I average. Coco is lighter so you may need to saturate more as it runs out the bottom. I use the weight of the pots to determain if they need to be watered or not. If I think they may need water, I wait one more day, then it's a sure thing. Hope this helps.

Xeblaro said:
I grow in PROMIX HP (similer style to coco) and I go with a schedule of feed/feed/water (repeat)... so only water every 3rd time. I give them water until it starts to run out the bottom into the trays, about 4 liters water for 18 liters of soil is what I average. Coco is lighter so you may need to saturate more as it runs out the bottom. I use the weight of the pots to determain if they need to be watered or not. If I think they may need water, I wait one more day, then it's a sure thing. Hope this helps.
what kind of nutrients do you feed with? how are your results from this feed/feed/water schedule?

Right now I'm using "supernatural" nutes. They come recommended from a friend and my results are fantastic. Any sort of soil fert would work though. I have no over-ferting problems with feed/feed/water, so I stick with it. Awesome results... I wouldn't want to go feed/water, it feels like too little.

When I was using coco, I'd wait until the top inch or two was dryish. The top 1/4 completely so.

I also used a water/feed/water/feed type schedule, but settled on always feeding, as I felt they could handle it. I think they recommend it that way so we don't overdo it the first time around.

If you have more than one plant, you could increase the feeding (whether by ppm, or feeding instead of just water) with one plant, and then only do the same to the others, once that one plant shows no sign of stress.

Latest posts

Back