Question about 24/7 and 18/6 veg light times

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FemmeFatale

"Imagine no religion"
Reaction score
OK, so....I am 2 weeks behind in my vegging room. (about 4 weeks left in my flower room and just sprouted my new veg) I usually veg six weeks before starting 12/12. I have decided to do 24/7 to try and get a jump start ( I usually do 18/6). My question is....What happens to the plant if you change from 24/7 to 18/6 after 4 or 5 weeks. does it stress the plant or will it cause the plant to flower?

Why change it? The plants do not need a dark cycle til you put them in flowering 12/12. By staying with 24/7 you just give the plants more light to grow by making bigger happier plants

Nothing! They will simply slow the growth a very small amount. No stress or flower. Some people say that it equals 1/3 of veg growth lost. I don't really agree! I understand the math of it. But I think that a plant Vegged @ 24/0 and one vegged @ 18/6 will only be a couple inches diff. Ive seen my 24/0 clones and my friends @ 18/6, same cuttings and mine did not get much bigger at all.

BudLover#69 said:
Nothing! They will simply slow the growth a very small amount. No stress or flower. Some people say that it equals 1/3 of veg growth lost. I don't really agree! I understand the math of it. But I think that a plant Vegged @ 24/0 and one vegged @ 18/6 will only be a couple inches diff. Ive seen my 24/0 clones and my friends @ 18/6, same cuttings and mine did not get much bigger at all.

well, the "six" hour light differential only equals 25%(1/4) veg' time growth, not 1/3. :doh:
sounds like fuzzy big gov' math!.. :rofl: ;)
BUT.. "IME", reducing the light hours promotes stretching between nodes, which might make the plants appear taller, but does not 'increase' actual growth. (# of nodes)... ;)

FemmeFatale said:
OK, so....I am 2 weeks behind in my vegging room. (about 4 weeks left in my flower room and just sprouted my new veg) I usually veg six weeks before starting 12/12. I have decided to do 24/7 to try and get a jump start ( I usually do 18/6). My question is....What happens to the plant if you change from 24/7 to 18/6 after 4 or 5 weeks. does it stress the plant or will it cause the plant to flower?

While it will not stress them, it will encourage stretch and result in fewer nodes--bud sites. Curious why you would want to go to less vegging hours?

BudLover#69 said:

What about the number of nodes? The 24/0 versus 18/6 really has nothing to do with height since less light encourages stretch--it has to do with tighter internodal spacing and thereby more bud sites.

Hick said:
well, the "six" hour light differential only equals 25%(1/4) veg' time growth, not 1/3. :doh:
BUT.. "IME", reducing the light hours promotes stretching between nodes, which might make the plants appear taller, but does not 'increase' actual growth. (# of nodes)... ;)

LOL,Funny I did mean 1/4, And that explains why mine did not look much bigger. Makes sense to me!

The Hemp Goddess said:
What about the number of nodes? The 24/0 versus 18/6 really has nothing to do with height since less light encourages stretch--it has to do with tighter internodal spacing and thereby more bud sites.

You and Hick are right now that I think about mine were a little more tighter and his must of stretched a little bit. Makes sense.

FemmeFatale said:

Shouldn't do anything, as long as you are running 18+ hrs of light.

I know I'll get shouted down, but I've never really noticed much of a difference between 18/6 and 24/7.

I do a 18/6 cycle, out of habit I guess and I just feel plants need some night time.

Wet

Wetdog said:

I know I'll get shouted down, but I've never really noticed much of a difference between 18/6 and 24/7.

I do a 18/6 cycle, out of habit I guess and I just feel plants need some night time.

Wet

:ignore:.........:rant:.......!!!

:D

Hick said:
Depends on how you look at it. If you're running 18 hours and increase to 24, that's a 33% increase. 6 is 1/3 of 18.

Wetdog said:

Wet

Mee Too Thanks! But I do think they may be right about the little extra strech you get! In some Compact strains it might help to open them up a little though, maybe.. I run 24 hours light in Veg becuase I'm too cheap to buy a timer and think over all it is better to go with 24/0 veg and 12/12Fl. BUT I don't think 18/6 is bad at all, and it is a valid time schedule for some peolple/strains

Classic said:
Depends on how you look at it. If you're running 18 hours and increase to 24, that's a 33% increase. 6 is 1/3 of 18.

...:aok:.

FemmeFatale said:
My question is....What happens to the plant if you change from 24/7 to 18/6 after 4 or 5 weeks. does it stress the plant or will it cause the plant to flower?

It will not stress the plant or cause the plant to flower. Many people start their crops indoors under 24 hours of light. Then when the plants are big enough they put them outdoors. Until the sunlight gets near 12/12 the plants will not bud and will continue to veg as long as they are getting enough light per day. Going from 24/0 to 18/6 will not harm the plants. But, I do not see the benefit of doing this versus 24/0 all the time while in veg.

-SSF-

Classic said:

LOL, Maybe thats how my Fuzzy Gov math thinking *** ended up saying 1/3! Funny 6 is 1/3 of 18 but true 6 is 1/4 of 24! :confused2: I guese the 24 is the key. I'm too stoned or stupid for basic math!
:D :smoke1:

I have a very tight grow room....I'm stuffing too many in there as it is and I have so far had very good results. I grow in soil FFO and have been using gen hydroponics nutes. This is my third grow with these two strains ( I think I have 7 or 8 grows overall) and I made a few changes that have increased yields. Someone:angrywife: ....who shall remain anonymous is complaining about the electric bill and now that I have started "ANOTHER"? room has been giving me grief :hitchair: over the increase. (we have some of the highs kW cost in the country) seems to think its due to the increase of my "ROOMS"....LOL....but even when I have shown,:hairpull: mathematically, that the increased consumption isn't solely due to my rooms!....so....in the name of "PEACEFUL" :peace: co-habitation..I'm attempting to appease the :heart: "SIGNIFICANT OTHER" :heart: by using as little electricity as possible.....anyone who is married should understand my concerns.....

I'm not married, but absolutely understand. Life is full of little compromises--18/6 is far, far better than nothing :aok: Your plants will be fine.

Latest posts

Back