Question about bubble hash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyfespan

Reaction score
I have quite a few plants so I figured I would try my hand at making bubble hash or ice hash, with the help of some screen bags.

My question is this, do I have to dry all the material that I want to run thru the bags, before I freeze it, or can I just freeze it till I'm ready to do the hash making later?

Also do I need to separate the sugar leaf material from the small bud materials?

Is drying it and running it over a dry hash screen set up first better?

I'm looking to do the best in quality and quantity here.

I remove the fan leaves and discard. The sugar leaves and popcorn buds I freeze immediately and then just use when ready.

I use dry sugar leaves and popcorn buds when using dry ice.

I like bubble a whole lot better.

If it don't bubble it ain't worth the trouble.

I remove the fan leaves and discard. The sugar leaves and popcorn buds I freeze immediately and then just use when ready.

I use dry sugar leaves and popcorn buds when using dry ice.

I like bubble a whole lot better.

If it don't bubble it ain't worth the trouble.

So don't dry, then freeze? Just freeze everything right

More fan leaves generally= more greenie tasting.

Naturally, better stock=better soup.

I always dried mine before storing in the freezer for future use. Not saying that's better or worse. Just the way I did it.

You say you have "quite a few" plants?

I would separate buds from leaf and make hash from both.

Cure some like you would to smoke and see if the hash made from that tastes/is any better.

Make some from wet and make some from dry.

LOL I love this hobby. I am about to be in the same situation. I am coming into "quite a few" plants in a few weeks. Mostly seeded buds that I am going to experiment with and extract. I plan to do all the above.

I am going to do my first BHO tomorrow but my guess is that I am going to stay with my tried and true ice water extraction. I just don't like the idea of smoking ISO or Butane residue. Yeah, yeah, I know. I still don't like it. Bubble/water is nice and clean. I like that. Just my pref.

I also like bubble hash better than dry ice hash. Since we are putting cannabis in water when making bubble hash, I always decarboxylate the trim/bud before making it.

bubble is my fav---fan/shade leaves/solar panels---the big ones where most photosynthesis is taking place---waste of time energy and valuable space in the bag---mess with the taste---have little trichomes if any to extract---don't use them and toss them in the compost

when i 1st read this question it was a bit perplexing as it never occurred to me that people actually have a final trim on their herb while still wet---very strange to my learnings of a harvest

other thing that tripped me was making hash immediately after a harvest with a few plants because the return is so small not making it worth the effort

so what makes sense to me and has been quite successful time in and out is this

harvest ur few plants---let em dry---store all the material u decide will make good hash like larf, small flowers, and the trim (my herb gets 2 trims---1st at harvest---trimming all the big composted leaves 2nd is trimming the dried sugar leaf to be used for hash etc...)

once u get a substantial stash of top shelf material and preferably even the same strain---freeze it or not---commence to making ur hash :yay:

my routine;
i crop everything once, always have. never liked letting bud leaves dry, and try messing with it later. i get it all off once.

all that trim (well, minus big fan leaves ;) ) goes into ziplocks (or zipzags/BC bags) and right into the freezer until i have enough.
cold makes the trichs more brittle, so i freeze to likely help separation.

just the way i learnt.
also that it wasn't needed to dry, so why do an extra step? -downside being; dry pot is crumbly, thus might get more undesirable plant material in your product. so might be better to not dry.

i don't decarb my bubble either, as i'm smoking it.. figure i don't decarb pot before i smoke it, so? ;) :D *not to mention, must be a PITA to decarb a decent amount for bubble hash.

bubble is my fav---fan/shade leaves/solar panels---the big ones where most photosynthesis is taking place---waste of time energy and valuable space in the bag---mess with the taste---have little trichomes if any to extract---don't use them and toss them in the compost
kool, all fan leaves are always in the trash, no trichs.
when i 1st read this question it was a bit perplexing as it never occurred to me that people actually have a final trim on their herb while still wet---very strange to my learnings of a harvest
i do all trimming wet, I think I'm knocking off less trichs then trimming when dry.
other thing that tripped me was making hash immediately after a harvest with a few plants because the return is so small not making it worth the effort
I have 30 plants, 5 different strains, and these are 6 foot tall plants, both on and outdoors. I'm getting about a pound of wet trim off each plant, so I figure I will have about 8 pounds of dry trim this year.
so what makes sense to me and has been quite successful time in and out is this

harvest ur few plants---let em dry---store all the material u decide will make good hash like larf, small flowers, and the trim (my herb gets 2 trims---1st at harvest---trimming all the big composted leaves 2nd is trimming the dried sugar leaf to be used for hash etc...)

once u get a substantial stash of top shelf material and preferably even the same strain---freeze it or not---commence to making ur hash :yay:

I'm asking about the freezing, because I'm going to make the hash months down the line from now. With this info, I should be able to do and adequate job for my first run, I'm sure I will have more questions too, lol. Thanx for the help

my routine;
i crop everything once, always have. never liked letting bud leaves dry, and try messing with it later. i get it all off once.

all that trim (well, minus big fan leaves ;) ) goes into ziplocks (or zipzags/BC bags) and right into the freezer until i have enough.
cold makes the trichs more brittle, so i freeze to likely help separation.

just the way i learnt.
also that it wasn't needed to dry, so why do an extra step? -downside being; dry pot is crumbly, thus might get more undesirable plant material in your product. so might be better to not dry.

i don't decarb my bubble either, as i'm smoking it.. figure i don't decarb pot before i smoke it, so? ;) :D *not to mention, must be a PITA to decarb a decent amount for bubble hash.

That's what I started out doing just trimming, bagging and freezing. Till I read I should be drying it, then freezing it, but the material in final product kinda makes sense.

yes u are likely knocking off trichomes when trimming dry---not to fear they do not go to waste---simply sweep them into the trim stash and u just be adding to the quality of the material to be used to make your hash---what do u do with wet sizzor hash???---sizzor hash from a dry trim can go right into the pipe or the hash material

as far as dry herb getting into the hash during the process---not an issue---220 microns takes care of that real easy---in fact---very little will even escape from a 1 gallon paint strainer when agitating in a washing machine

as someone said above---quality material will reap quality hash

for example i just ran a 5 gallon bucket of larry trim, larf, and popcorn---finished pressed yield just shy of a qp---quality in---quality out

another thing on freezing---yes the idea is to freeze trichomes---make them easy to fall off when making the hash---imo that is exactly what the purpose of the ice water is---iv'e done both frozen and dried---it does not change yield or lighten the work load---just takes up space in the freezer---happy hashing lyfespan

yes u are likely knocking off trichomes when trimming dry---not to fear they do not go to waste---simply sweep them into the trim stash and u just be adding to the quality of the material to be used to make your hash---what do u do with wet sizzor hash???---sizzor hash from a dry trim can go right into the pipe or the hash material

as far as dry herb getting into the hash during the process---not an issue---220 microns takes care of that real easy---in fact---very little will even escape from a 1 gallon paint strainer when agitating in a washing machine

as someone said above---quality material will reap quality hash

for example i just ran a 5 gallon bucket of larry trim, larf, and popcorn---finished pressed yield just shy of a qp---quality in---quality out

another thing on freezing---yes the idea is to freeze trichomes---make them easy to fall off when making the hash---imo that is exactly what the purpose of the ice water is---iv'e done both frozen and dried---it does not change yield or lighten the work load---just takes up space in the freezer---happy hashing lyfespan
I have been putting everything from trimming in the freezer, I don't know what larf is? But I bet I have been putting it in there too hahahaha. I trim over a glass table and scrap after roll that into a ball and put it aside for later, I do save all theseView attachment image.jpg and let them dry for a killer bowl. I figure I'm going to have about 5-6 pounds of trim to process for bubble hash.

Any bud smaller than a silver dollar goes into the hash pile, I've now started leaving the smaller stuff on the plant till I get done with the larger buds. Kinda an order of importance thing.

larf is airy buds

5-6 p's of trim---:headbang:---thats gonna take a hell of a long time to process that amount of material

if u are interested---i give u a "how to" using a washing machine to agitate

Well with further research looks like I'm going to be getting to do this washing machine hash production. Just watched the video, and am stoked to try these methods out.

I had no idea that hash was this involved, I love it, science is awesome

Did I hear him say he washes the same weed 14 times???? LMAO And, you guys thought I was bad for butane blasting twice. LMAO

A couple things come to mind.

I always heard you shouldn't mix it too long because the undesirable elements (chlorophyll, etc) become more present. 10 minutes is pretty long.

Also, what's the difference between this washing machine and just mixing it in a 5 gallon bucket and then pouring the water (other than the obvious convenience)?

And, lastly, what brand and model would be recommended for this type of operation?

I see a portable washing machine in my future. LOL

thanks---i tip my cap to frenchy for sharing---instead of pointing to the flaws in his recovery---i'll just say he's only using 5 gallon buckets and according to him---he's only recovering 65 grams per pound of what appeared to be some pretty decent material essentially wasting much time and effort--that said---if you got several pounds of trim---his method is ineffective

this is a closed washing machine recovery system---best to do out doors with access to a garden hose and electric outlet

you will need

normal size U.S. washing machine with a heavy load setting
18---1 gallon paint strainers
18---zip ties
3 sets of 5 bubble bags in the 20 gallon size range from 25 to 220 microns
3 33 gal trash cans
1 54 gal tote
i sump pump
100 lbs of ice
6' hose attached to the drain hole in the back bottom of the washer
cut holes and run drain hoses from the bottom of the trash cans to the tote

fill ur paint strainer bags 3/4 full of trim and zip tie the tops closed
place a layer of 6 bags of trim in the washer---top with 1st layer of bags with ice

repeat layering till the 18 bags of trim are in the washer and topped with ice---u gonna wash this same load 4 times

fill the washer with garden hose water and top with ice again

run the wash cycle 10-15 minutes

drain the washer trough the bags in the trash cans

the water drains from the trash cans to the tote

clean your bags separating the different microns between each cycle

open the lid to the washer add another 20 pounds of ice

fill the washer again with the water from the tote and the sump pump

wash cycles are 10-15 minutes with the last load allowed to go thru the spin cycle

4 washes seem to be the ideal recovery as u will eventually get chlorophyll to show in the 25 micron bag if u run more loads---this method will take approximately 3-4 hours and can recover approx 1/4 lb of hash

happy hashing :afroweed:

Wow! Did you see part 2? Now, THAT'S makin' hash. Never seen it pressed with a hot water bottle like that. Pretty neat.

Wow! Did you see part 2? Now, THAT'S makin' hash. Never seen it pressed with a hot water bottle like that. Pretty neat.

wow is right---pretty cool---very innovative---if there's a will there's a way---whatever it takes to git er dun eh--i prefer a 20 ton press

Latest posts

Back