Question about chef's super soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKlonedRanger

Reaction score
18cf organic soil or Pro mix or the like

I'm trying his soil on a few plants, and have a question about quantity. Is that by compressed bales? Compressed bale is 3.8 cf; so do I need 5 bales? Or is that 2 bales uncompressed? I just don't want to make it incorrectly.

Not sure about Chef's recipe but have you ever fully popped open a bale of promix all at once? It will literally fill a large bathtub. You'd need a stock-watering tank to actually mix it!
Unless you are redoing your whole front lawn with great home made dirt... here's a trick!
Convert everything to gallons. One C.F. is 7.5 gallons.
Convert the rest of your recipe to gallons too! (Or pints, quarts, etc just remember the conversions)
Do some math starting with the question , "how much dirt am I trying to make?" And then calculate how much of each to make it! No need to make a swimming pool sized container of chefs special if you are just filling a half dozen 5 gallon pails in the end: )

Thanks for the reply stinkyattic! I use promix in my soil now, so I'm aware of how much they expand. That's a good idea about converting it.

The plan would be to use chefs soil on my commercial strains going to dispensaries, so if I can get it nailed down, I'll need large amounts of it.

I still use chef's super soil recipe. I always figured it was uncompressed measurements and that is what I have always used.

I love, love, love this mix. I've got a batch sitting waiting for transplant into 15-25 gal Smart pots. It has never failed me. I do use teas as the season goes on, but I do like making and using teas. Plants are small this year as moving interfered with planting (again), so don't really need to be transplanted yet. And I needed a greenhouse or fenced enclosure up to keep the deer from the plants. Just got the portable greenhouse up. The raised bed fenced enclosure is taking a while longer.

Good to hear from you NC. Hope life is being good to you.

I am thinking of running some strains in some type of super soil.ive thought of using subcools recipe.whats up with this recipe yall speak of? Is it just water with pH,Ed all thru flower? Ive never tried any yet but the simplicity of it sounds great.but at the same time,I fell like a scientist when I'm mixing my nutes!! Hahaha.

Thanks Buzzy, but I'm not sure these deer are going to be deterred by anything less than a tall fence, but I'll give it a try with something that is less valuable to me than my pot plants. And no trees near where the cannabis is. However, they come right up next to the patio to eat out of the bird feeders hanging in a tree there--that might be the place to give it a try.

Ky--there is a sticky with NC's soil mix: Nouvellechef's Super Soil FAQ

I have to say that I like this one a lot better than subcool's. It doesn't take my plants all the way through to harvest, but I like to use teas anyway, so it works out. I read somewhere years ago that foliar feeding with organic teas can help keep bugs away and I can say that I do not have problems with bugs outdoors (knock on wood).

I got a kick out of you saying you feel like a scientist when mixing nutes. When I ran hydro, I kind of felt the same way...but maybe more of a mad scientist. John Hiatt's song Paper Thin has a line in it that says "I was just mixing up some chemicals" and that line always came to mind when mixing up nutrients and pHing them.

Thanks Buzzy, but I'm not sure these deer are going to be deterred by anything less than a tall fence, but I'll give it a try with something that is less valuable to me than my pot plants. And no trees near where the cannabis is. However, they come right up next to the patio to eat out of the bird feeders hanging in a tree there--that might be the place to give it a try.

Ky--there is a sticky with NC's soil mix: Nouvellechef's Super Soil FAQ

I have to say that I like this one a lot better than subcool's. It doesn't take my plants all the way through to harvest, but I like to use teas anyway, so it works out. I read somewhere years ago that foliar feeding with organic teas can help keep bugs away and I can say that I do not have problems with bugs outdoors (knock on wood).

I got a kick out of you saying you feel like a scientist when mixing nutes. When I ran hydro, I kind of felt the same way...but maybe more of a mad scientist. John Hiatt's song Paper Thin has a line in it that says "I was just mixing up some chemicals" and that line always came to mind when mixing up nutrients and pHing them.
Yes we are some real life mad scientist hemp goddess!!! I knew there was another out there that felt like me!!!.thx for the super soil info.

Latest posts

Back