question about generators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romeo_rulez

Reaction score
hey guys i wanted to know if i was plannin a grow up with jus one 400w light or maybe two 400w light (hp sodium)...is there any way i can use generators instead of the electricity provided at home.... and what kind of generators would be good...like low noise...and lastly can i use them for indoor grow...cuz i herd some generators have to be outdoors...
thank a lot guys
romeo:p

romeo_rulez said:
hey guys i wanted to know if i was plannin a grow up with jus one 400w light or maybe two 400w light (hp sodium)...is there any way i can use generators instead of the electricity provided at home.... and what kind of generators would be good...like low noise...and lastly can i use them for indoor grow...cuz i herd some generators have to be outdoors...
thank a lot guys
romeo:p

ALL generators have to be outside. They all use some sort of fossil fuel, have fumes and exhaust unless you set up a water or air generator. Those are plenty obvious.

There is no way to do what you plan for any reasonable cost.

One or two 400's won't raise anyone's suspicion. A toaster oven uses that much juice.

Having a generator on for 24/7 during vegetative growth would really get the cops attention. To sound proof it and set up a soundproof exhaust would cost you enough to buy 10 pounds of weed.

Lot's of people think of that one, no one does it.

yea generators are expensive but they do have indoor queite generatorsshop around but wont cost you less than a 1000 if that

flipmode said:
yea generators are expensive but they do have indoor queite generatorsshop around but wont cost you less than a 1000 if that
Would you please show me what you're calling an "indoor" generator?

Thanks.

Stoney Bud said:
Would you please show me what you're calling an "indoor" generator?

I 2nd that.... INDOOR means a huge setup... that can and will cost more then a grand... a 1000w gen isnt very $$ when on sale... but the ducting and wiring and fuel tanks and everything will add up very quick...

If indoor was so cheap and feasible why does every call center and hospital and telephone company..etc have all their generators outside?
Riddle me that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear they sell indoor generators at the carbon monoxide suicide shop ;)

Good one Offspring! LMAO!

I'm not saying it isn't possible with a bunch of duct work, insulation, soundproofing and so forth but I can't find anything you can just buy and use.

KADE said:
hehe, yes, yes they do.

Diesel fuel cars/generators don't create carbon monoxide tho... so could be used inside theoretically.... but you'd still be sick feeling and your whole house/building would smell of diesel.
Whoever told you that a Diesel engine doesn't create C02 is nuts. Anything that causes the combustion of fossel fuel creates C02 in deadly amounts. If you put a Diesel generator inside, it'll kill you just as fast as any other fueled generator. It'll just smell like Deisel while it's killing you.

Yikes, you guys quit with this train of thought.

GENERATORS GO OUTSIDE !!!!!

Having a generator inside is not smart and should not be done... ever. unless you have the funds to put up a special room and ventilation. Hospitals can't afford it... so I don't see the reason a homeowner would... ESPECIALLY for a measly 400watts. turn off 2 200w lightbulbs when u run your hps... it'll even out.

KADE said:
You can work in a room with heavy equipment machinery running all day and night and never get sick or die. Some ventilation is needed of course... but that's like any room... any sealed room will kill u off if ur in there long enough.
I'm sorry, but this conversation is getting to the point of being dangerous to people.

If you run any equipment that burns fossil fuel inside any room of any size anywhere on this planet, it the C02 and Carbon Monoxide will build until it kills or causes harm to every living thing in the building.

If you want to do an experiment, you can get a blood oxygen tester and put it on your finger while you're in this room full of running equipment and watch while your blood oxygen drops to dangerous levels.

Kidney, liver and heart functions will decrease proportionally and cause possible permanent damage to themselves. Cell damage can also result.

Kade, it sounds like someone has filled your ears with a bunch of nonsense man. You can verify everything I've said by calling your local health department and asking. OSHA has very strict limits on running equipment like you've mentioned, indoors UNLESS proper ventilation has been set up. This is because of the inherent danger of doing so.

If you're working in a building with running equipment that has not been vented outside, then whatever business is doing this to you is also killing you nice and slow. Call OSHA on them. That crap will stop right after OSHA shuts them down and fines the hell out of them for damaging your body. You in turn can sue the hell out of them.

There is absolutely NO difference between the poisons given off by different fossil fuel burning machines.

It's dangerous as hell and should NEVER be done indoors for any reason unless proper ventilation is set up. Even then, many people die each year from inhalation of these fumes.

Please, nothing personal about this discussion, but all of your reading this thread need to check with your local health department before you try running anything inside your house or even on a porch. It SHOULD NOT BE DONE FOR ANY REASON, EVER.

Perhaps there is no good regulation in Canada..... at least on the east side... be a cold day in hades when I go into the shop and there isn't a Cat something... front-end loader or some other heavy equipment running most of the day straight.

:guitar: I did not endorse anyone using a generator inside... nor do I still....breathing anything besides good air is bad. No matter what it is...

Carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, and aldehydes only result as the incomplete combustion of diesel fuel, and most of that derives from the engine oils and lubricants. Nitrogen oxides (NO/NO2) are the real kill ya dead stuff. Even this isn’t created from the fuel… it is from the high compression in a diesel engine.
Dont hate the fuel... hate the engine. :D

*** is wrong with my text? it has gone all to hell!! I removed/edited some posts, perhaps you wanna cut out the same showing in your posts? Ur a mod, I'll respect that. Are you 100% sure it makes CO2? CO = yes (carbon monoxide) ... but I looked for a lil and can't find ne government documentation stating CO2 is released.

Hey man, no bones with me. I'm just discussing this with you. I sincerely hope this isn't upsetting you.

Whenever a flame combusts a fossil fuel and oxygen is involved in the burning process, CO2 is a natural byproduct of the combustion. Unburned petrochems, monoxide, and about 100 other substances are present in the air during the burning of fossil fuels as well as many other carbon based substances.

There has to be a compensating factor in the building you work in that allows no buildup of harmful gasses and particulate. I hope so for your sake anyway.

The next time you get a chance, ask a nurse or doctor about being in a building with a running engine, diesel or otherwise. As long as there is adequate ventilation in relation to the expelled gasses, then you'll be ok. If there isn't, then you could be adding these substances to your bloodstream every time you breathe it. It's all in the amounts.

Good luck to you man. Tell em to hook up a tube to the exhaust and vent it outside. Your air can't help but improve. I oversee a shop just like yours. All of our work stations have outside venting as required by OSHA. We also have massive exhaust fans in the roof. We've been using vent tubes for 25 years in that shop. Even a little monoxide is pretty nasty for you.

Nope... none here either... ur one of the ppl I most like.
Regulations just dont get used in Canada... I wouldn't ever bring it up... I'd lose a job...

KADE said:
Regulations just dont get used in Canada... I wouldn't ever bring it up... I'd lose a job...
What a drag man! An employee has to be afraid to approach an employer about a health problem in the work place! That sucks! That's why OSHA was formed in the USA. It watches out for the average guy and makes the employer do the right thing.

Good luck to you man!

funny3.jpg

osha...

Hey all, Wow im suprised this has gone this far! lol. It really is a stupid idea to put a generator inside but it would be possible if you has an exhaust fume extractor, they have them at car testing stations i think but they're very expensive! I also am pretty sure Co2 is naturally produced when burning fossil fuels, carbon monoxide I dont actually think occurs naturally (someone correct me if im wrong on this one) i think it only occurs in internal combustion engines when the amount of oxygen is limited. It doesnt really matter because both are deadly, And i think generators are pretty pointless unless you're gona use enough power to justify one and live somewhere where a generator on 24/7 isnt going to be noticed.

Oh also i think diesel fumes are actually worse than petrol (enviromentally) which is why here in the uk we have to pay far more for diesel than petrol, despite the fact its cheaper to manufacture

Stoney Bud said:
What a drag man! An employee has to be afraid to approach an employer about a health problem in the work place! That sucks! That's why OSHA was formed in the USA. It watches out for the average guy and makes the employer do the right thing.

Good luck to you man!

Diesel is produced cheaper and more of it is produced from one barrel of crude compared to gas.
They only put it up on regular gas pumps basically because of ppl swinging for more fuel milage. Heavy equipment diesel is still pretty cheap. Only happened the last couple of years.
It isn't that a person would lose their job... they can't fire you for that... thas against labour laws.... they'll just cut back your hours until you quit.. (I learned that one in business)

Doesn't matter... I'm not workin... i'm just sittin on my *** takin EI money till I head to Alberta...

Latest posts

Back