Question about how long to Veg.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stunzeed

"*Bomb-Diggity*"
Reaction score
I have 6 plants right now. All of them should be female as they are clones from good healthy plants. I have a medical grow right now and I am trying to get as good at this as I can. My question is how long should I veg clones? Also does anyone have any good tips on knowing when to water without a moisture tester or do I need to just buck up and buy one? Thanks for your help!

stunzeed said:
My question is how long should I veg clones? Also does anyone have any good tips on knowing when to water without a moisture tester...
You can gauge when to water by the weight of the container. When they are dry, they get obviously lighter in weight.

How long you veg clones depends on how much height you have available for your plants to grow.

Stoney Bud said:
You can gauge when to water by the weight of the container. When they are dry, they get obviously lighter in weight.

How long you veg clones depends on how much height you have available for your plants to grow.

Ok Stoney I have been reading your threads and I am really impressed with your grows!!! That being said I have 8 Foot ceilings and the pots they are in are about 16 inches tall. Please let me know what will be optimal. Also should I be giving them a set amount of water or just till they hit that weight I am looking for. Thanks. I will post pics if that will help

Stunzeed...

stunzeed said:
Ok Stoney I have been reading your threads and I am really impressed with your grows!!! That being said I have 8 Foot ceilings and the pots they are in are about 16 inches tall. Please let me know what will be optimal. Also should I be giving them a set amount of water or just till they hit that weight I am looking for. Thanks. I will post pics if that will help

Stunzeed...

"heighth" depends a lot on the intensity of your light. The light values decrease as distance from the source increase. A 1k has more penetrating power than a 400, allowing you to grow taller plants more efficiently.
..no "set" amounts on watering. Your environment and plant metabolism has to determine that. They should be watered slowly allowing the medium to become fully saturated untill you get a slight bit of "runoff" out of the drain holes. Then allowed to dry out well, untill the pots are light, or the medium is "dry" at least 3" deep.

Hey stunzeed, Hick's said it all man. I hear people all the time saying "I give them exactly 500ml of water every other day". Using a measured amount of water on a schedule for a marijuana plant is nuts.

During it's growth, your plants will need varying amounts of water. The usage, of course, will increase as the plants grow larger and radically increase during flowering.

If you water by weight, you can't go wrong. Get a good quality DIGITAL bathroom scale. Let your plants go without water until you see a slight droop to the leaves. Lift the plant in your hands. The container should feel light, like there isn't any dirt in it. Now, weigh the plant and container. Write down the weight, date and time. Now, subtract 24 hours from the date. That's when you should have watered them to be perfect.

Water the plant, as Hick said, using a slow pour to saturate the soil and root system. Do so in relatively small doses so that the water won't leak out the bottom until the dirt and root mass is saturated. Put a plastic cover over your scale to catch any water that may leak from the container during weighing. Look to see what the scale reads without the plant on it. Now, put the plant on it and write down the date, time and how much water the plant took and subtract any weight the plastic had, so you'll know how much water weight you added.

When it is 24 hours from the "dry" date, weigh the plant again. Write this weight down with the date and time.

Water the plant as before. Now, just water when you reach the point you were at when you watered 24 hours before the "dry" date. The plant will still have enough water to prevent it from having shock, and you'll never over-water or underwater again. Using this system will allow you to closely monitor your plants water usage as well, and will give you a better understanding of how your plants health is.

If the plant has any radical decrease in water usage, it may have a problem that needs attention.

Good luck to you man!

hee hee...I usually just pick 'em up..(the pots)
once you become accustomed to the weight, distinguishing "when" they're dry becomes pretty easy, almost second nature.

stunzeed said:

Stunzeed...

With height like that, stunz, your plants could end up being the front court for a men's NCAA basketball team [with a HUGE light, of course]...:yay: :laugh: :rofl:

Nelson

Thanks guys. I appreciate all your help!!! I do have a strong light. All 6 are under a 1000watt HPS. When it is time to flower I am gonna run 2 1000 watt HPS. 3 plants under each light. They are in 15 gallon pots so it is hard for me to guage the weight since they are so heavy anyway. I guess I should just buck up and by a moisture tester. Thanks again and I will post pics of my plants soon.

15 gallon pots. WOW, them are gonne be some monster plants! hope you got 20 ft ceiling or have lst them like crazy.

I dont quite understand your post cyber. Thanks for the look at the thread though.

I think what cyber' is hitting on iis about the size of your pots..15 gallons is huge for an indoor op. Most use 3-5 gal pots. A general "rule of thumb" is 1 gal soil for 1 foot of plant.

yep thats what i meant hick, with that being said, in a 15 gallon pot, you could very well see a 15 ft tall plant!

Latest posts

Back