question about light heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I am starting a new grow and have to use a spare room for the first three weeks before I set up the grow tent in the shed.
I plan to just hang the hid light above the plants in the open room. It's a 600w dual spectrum in a vented large hood with a glass cover.
I don't plan to set up the extractor fan to run air through the light, just have a fan in the room moving the air.

Should I remove the glass cover if I don't ventilate the light hood? Is it ok to run a 600w hid light in a hooded reflector without using an extractor fan to pull cool air through it? Is it ok to do so if the glass cover is removed?

There should be no heat buildup in the room because it's not a confined space and has fresh air and I can run fans.
I just don't want to damage the bulb or cause it to break from heat buildup. That could damage the plants below or cause a fire.

This is only for a few weeks. Once in the grow tent, it will be properly set up with the extraction fan running through the lamp.
Thanks for any advice.

I hope someone comes along that knows more then me, but for my 2 cents, yes you can run that 600 without ducting. I wouldn't remove the cover either. As long as you can control the temps it should be ok... If it blows, i owe you a light i guess. Others will be by.

Good question surfer, I'm kinda curious too. Street lamps run 1000 watts and they have tight covers on them, and they are in the elements so I'm curious if anyone has a sound answer.

i have run my 2x400s in closed waterproof fixtures indoors in cranked rooms at high heat, never had a problem with the lights, just that the plants didn't like all that heat :D i guess that you cannot raise the room's temp enough to burn the light before killing the plants. if your room is not well ventilated, you got other priorities that the bulb's wellbeing to worry about. JMO

Latest posts

Back