Question about light in a grow tent...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganesa_9

Reaction score
I have a small grow tent (3x3 at 6 feet tall) and I'm using a Mars Hydro 1000TS in the tent for light. This question may seem odd, but can bad or inadequate light also cause leaves to get brown spots and turn yellow?

I have a small grow tent (3x3 at 6 feet tall) and I'm using a Mars Hydro 1000TS in the tent for light. This question may seem odd, but can bad or inadequate light also cause leaves to get brown spots and turn yellow?
Have you used any Cal.Mag?

You are running a 1,000w light in a 3x3 tent....What is the temp in there? I would think a 600w would be more than enough light. Light Burn?

if you're running LED's and don't have them dialed in the answer is yes...mebbe too much of the wrong spectrum or not enough

LEDS need to be 24inches away from sprout to veg and then lower to 18inches as plant gets bigger

Your problems has to do with PH or what you are feeding them
You are feeding them Yes?

You are running a 1,000w light in a 3x3 tent....What is the temp in there? I would think a 600w would be more than enough light. Light Burn?
steady 75 degrees, pretty much

That light is not a 1000Watt light It says 150watt on mars site

Right from their site
●[High Efficiency Engergy Saving Plant Light] Only 150 watts true output with 342 pcs LEDs, more scientifically and energy-efficient! Perfect for 3'x3' (90x90cm) veg stage and 2'x2' (60x60cm) bloom stage, higher intensity in a Mars Hydro grow tent.

I'm not ignoring the replies I see here, just had some medical issues the past couple days.... On the other hand I probably asked the question in a bad way. LITERALLY what I want to know is if there are any plant health issues that can 'look' like nutritional or PH issues, but are actually a result of 'bad' light (wrong color, intensity, etc...).

Part of this is because I keep experiencing the same issues in all my tent grows, and I'm already following grow advice from a large number of other board members: checking both water/nute PH and PPM during the different grow stages, using one of the super soil recipes from the board (coir, perlite, compost, castings, etc...), checking PH runoff... all the good things you should be doing, but getting the same results.

I'm trying to eliminate ANY other cause there might be, even if it's ridiculous. I know about light burn from being too close to the plants, and how plants will die without light (duh), but is there anything else that can be light related.

I'm doing that old eliminate the impossible and whatever remains troubleshooting process. I actually don't think it's light related... but then I don't know everything and there is a wealth of stuff I don't know yet.

Having never used the new Mars (White Lights LEDs) but similar HLG Quantums Samsung I can say they should grow good
My light I built is wonderful, I have it at appox 18inches in flower now, started at 24inches.
Can I ask are you using Cal/Mag every water/feed? Also be advised your light could be under powered due to the fact it is not a 1000watt unit as they say but only 150watts from wall outlet, you may need bigger lights or more of the same.
Without seeing the plants it is hard to say .

Yeah. cal/mag included in waterings... one teaspoon per gallon. Light meter (and this is without checking again, just memory) placed at top of plants (also 18 inches from light) shows a value of 1500 lumens at the center of the tent and a smidge over 1000 lumens at the four corners of the tent. Just went and checked again to verify those values. I could put up new photos, but they would look just like the last series I took that got all the same advice. That first time I thought 'OK, that might be it; bad soil mix, poor nutrition, bad PH and PPM, etc) so this time I went 'by the book'... monitoring PH and PPM, nutes, not overwatering, not underwatering, light checked and repositioned using mfg chart for distances during different growth stages.

Nutes using Dr Earth organic liquid for general nutrition, FoxFarm organic flowering nutes (not Tiger Bloom, the other one can't remember the name off-hand, it's the one that's OMRI cert for organic, a teaspoon of epsom salts for cal mag, and a tablesppon of molasses for trace. Water is from an RO water station in Walmart cause my personal water is well water and the PPM is SO VERY HIGH it turns even the fluffiest soil into concrete in a very short period of time. The water station sez chlorine is removed, but I still let it sit out overnight to get rid of any potential chlorine left in the water.

Current watering with nutes uses above nutes, and is PH balanced at 5.8 to compensate for slightly elevated alkaline soil mix (about PH 7) and the PPM is about 1000 for flowering. I only water when the grow bag (7 gallons) is very light. Run off from watering is usually around PH 6.3.

I get conflicting advice on nutes and watering; one camp sez only nute every other water, other camp sez nute every water during flower. Currently I use nutes in water every watering. It takes about three to four days for the bags to get light enough for watering.

Tent temperature averages out at 75 degrees, humidity averages out to about 47%.

EVERYTHING I'm doing now is completely different then the first grow, but I'm getting nearly identical results!?

20201015_111844.jpg

Last edited:
Plants look unhappy. From the tips it looks like nute burn is present, and they look light-starved.

Still Looks like a magnesium deficiency to me. And you don't always need calcium if you have a Magnesium deficiency.

I have a question??? Has anyone ever grown Big Bud Auto

Latest posts

Back