Question about making tincture with dry sift.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
I am going to use my Magical Butter Machine to make some Everclear tincture (is tincture the right word?)

Anyway, I have 16 grams of dry sift. This is good clean sift from a 70u screen so there's almost no plant matter or hairs left. Mostly trichs.

I will decarb the sift first, even though the MBM instructions say it's not required.

Then, I will follow the instruction for the MBM and make the tincture.

Here is my question.

After I make the tincture and I strain it. The stuff left in the strainer is still hash, right? I don't want to throw it away like I would weed after making the tincture. I mean, it's trichs going in. It should be trics coming out. The only thing that will filter is the stuff that didn't infuse with the Everclear.

Am I right on that?

If so, what should I do with the filtered remains? Dry it and smoke it? I was going to skip the filter and just let the sift continue to infuse after I pour it from the MBM back into the Everclear bottle for storage (and use. LOL)

I'll be looking at them with the loop but I expect they will still be good trics after the first infusion. Maybe I should run it through the cycle 2 or 3 times and see if more sift gets infused.

I'm going to do this tomorrow so I'm open to any suggestions or comments.

As always, TIA.

I make tinctures all the time. I would use the filtered remains in edibles. My last mixture was a little different. Instead of taking trim and soaking in everclear, I decided to see how much could be held in suspension. I started with 2 oz of everclear and added 2 grams of bho. Once the dropper bottle's volume was reduced by 1/3 ( from consumption ) I added enough everclear to top off, then added 2 grams of bubble hash. When that was reduced by 1/3, top it off and added another g of bho. Reduced again by 1/3, topped off and added another g of bubble hash. All the residue from the hash is just sitting on the bottom of the bottle.

Hackerman, I talked to customer service about your question. HE says don't throw that stuff away that is left. So you are right. Let it air dry, you don't want to light everclear... and tell us how it goes.

Thanks gang I am pre-heating the over as we speak. I'll decarb at 240F for about 40m and then get out the MBM.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again

I have been wondering if I can do the same thing with glycerin so that it can be put into an e-cig. I tried some hash I made the Frenchy way but could not get it to dissolve in the glycerin. Any suggestions if not using alcohol, umbre?

Glycerin is tough because it doesn't absorb the cannabanoids well. In fact, the more cannabanoids it infuses, the lesser the ability to infuse becomes. I have tried glycerin a number of times and can't get anything strong enough for me.

I did take a shot glass and put a gram of dry sift in it. Then, I added just enough glycerin to cover it. It sat for a week or 2 and then I tried it. I liked it because I could vape it in my domeless nail (my new banger) and it vapes really really well like this. GIANT hits of vapor.

I can't tell you if it's any good or not because (as we know) I don't get high. And, Mrs Hackerman is afraid to try the nail. LOL

I think I am only going to make 2 cups of Everclear tincture. I only have about an ounce of hash and if I make a full bottle that means there's only going to be about 1 gram of hash per ounce of Everclear. And, since my does seems to be 6 or 7 grams, I would have to drink 7 ounces of Everclear. I wouldn't know if I was drunk or stoned. LOL

So, I think I'll put 28 grams of sift into 2 cups of Everclear (since 2 cups is the minimum the MBM will make).

2 cups should give me about 2 grams per ounce so I can have a couple shots and get my dose. I am a pretty heavy drinker so a couple shots won't get me drunk.

I'll grab some pics along the way.

Mmmmm, the house smells so good. LOL The smell of weed decarbing is pretty hard to take but when I decarb sift/hash, the odor is actually very pleasant.

I put 2 cups of Everclear in the MBM and it didn't quite bring it up to the minimum line. I added a tiny bit more and it put it right on the line. I looked at the bottle and there was less than a cup left so I tossed it in. I had a few shots from this bottle so it wasn't totally full. So, I have about 2-3/4 cups of Everclear and 28 grams of sift/hash. I set it for the 8 hour cycle.

News at 11.

Weedhopper, thanks that has some great info in it.

Well, that worked better than I had hoped.

Pic 1. Filled it just a little above the min line. There was about 21 ounces of Everclear.

Pic 2. Add 1 ounce of decarbed dry sift

Pic 3. 8 hours later, the machine was done and I let it sit to cool for a while. I wanted to see better what I had so I poured it out into a Pyrex dish. I was quite surprised to see the bottom of the MBM was clean. The Everclear had absorbed the entire ounce.

Pic 4 and 5. I let it sit in the Pyrex bowl for a couple hours to see if it would separate. It did separate a little but the silt on the bottom was very light and when I lifted the bowl to pour it back into the Everclear bottle, the silt mixed right back in, mostly just from the motion of pouring.

Pic 6. After pouring it out, there was really nothing left in the bowl. I am letting that little bit in the bowl dry overnight so I can look at it under the scope in the morning.

Pic 7. I poured it back into the Everclear bottle and, oddly enough, I lost about 4 more ounces of volume in the process. So, it looks like I have about 2 cups or 16 ounces.

That's about a gram and a half per ounce. So, my does will be about 4 ounces of this. I'll try 2 and see what happens. Going to be hard to get 2 ounces of this down. I liked the spoon and almost threw up. LMAO I see some tropical punch, coconut drinks in my future. LOL

Tomorrow is test day.

View attachment tinc-8.jpg

View attachment tinc-1.jpg

View attachment tinc-2.jpg

View attachment tinc-4.jpg

View attachment tinc-5.jpg

View attachment tinc-6.jpg

View attachment tinc-7.jpg

Good idea. I'll try that.

I keep thinking I'll let some of the Everclear evaporate off so the remaining liquid is stronger and I won't have to consume so much of it.

Then, I figured what the heck, I'll evaporate off the Everclear. Dry out what's left and......... I'll have my dry sift back. LMAO

I'm still not 100% sure why it's better to do this than to simply eat the dry sift. LOL With butter, I can understand. Because our bodies absorb the cannabanoids better when they are mixed with fat. But, the alcohol, I still haven't figured.

Sure tastes like poo poo.

Thats what i do. I decarb and put my stuff on buttered toast or sprinkle on my salad, or whatever im eating. Mine taste like roasted Almonds which I happen to like the taste of. Course i use mine to control Blood Preasure during the day while at work. Keeps my BP at around 110/70 and sometimes lower.

Hey Hackerman, thanks for posting that. I would let some of that alcohol evaporate off, it tastes much better if you do that. I have a friend that uses the tincture in hot water like a tea...she likes it.

Some plants taste better then others. I can tell you that Harlequin is a nasty tincture... Enjoy your work. I like Umbra's idea about honey..

I think I am going to split this into 4 doses. 28 grams/4=7 grams per dose. Just perfect for me.

One, I will mix with honey. One, I will let some of the Everclear evap off. One, I will let almost all the Everclear evap off. And, I guess, the 4th, (unless someone else inputs another idea) I'll just drink and take my lumps. LOL

There was quite a bit more settlement this morning. And the silt was a little thicker. It seemed to mix well when shaken but I expect it will settle again. The alcohol module can only absorb so much hash until it's full. What doesn't absorb, settles. Maybe I'll take that 4th dose and let it separate and take the two separately.

you could try adding more hash to one instead of evap alcohol off. I don't think you are anywhere near reaching the saturation point of the alcohol. I am closer to 5grams per ounce, and you are a little over a gram/ounce ratio

Cool. What do you do to increase and further stimulate the saturation? Heat it?

Thanks

Well, I found a nice cocktail.

First I took 2 oz of the Everclear tincture. I added an equal amount of orange juice and shook it up. I let it settle for a while and to my pleasant surprise, it did not separate.

So, I used that to make salty dogs. The grapefruit juice and salt killed the canna taste right away. I could still smell it the first few sips and that was pretty bad. But after a few sips..... it's pretty tasty.

I don't expect 2 oz will do anything but I'll force down another 2 ounces as soon as my throat stops burning. LMAO

Gotta be a better way for me. LOL

Cool. What do you do to increase and further stimulate the saturation? Heat it?

Thanks
Yes I heat a pot of water and then turn it off. Let the alcohol sit with more hash for 2 or 3 min then shake.

Latest posts

Back