question about males

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUDZ420

mmMMmm HAZE
Reaction score
i have never grown a male before and i was wondering (1) do u give them the same nutrients u give ur female or do the require different amounts of each (2) how many hours of light do they need i dont need producing alot of pollen i just need to keep it alive for a couple weeks to pollinate 3-4 branches (3) how long does it take for seeds to ripe so i can cut just the pollinated branches.they are under flourescent lighting so probably take longer right

um.. i think you need to read a lot more because the questions your asking are off course.

you won't be able to tell if its male or female unless you get a female clone and grow it or your guarantee that your seed is feminized.

you give the plants different kinds of nutes through different phase of its life cycle. for veg you feed it nore "N" then P or K. for for flowering your give it more P. also through tis life cycle its needs the right amount of life. for example, for veg, it needs 18/6 or 20/4 or 24/0. for flowering, it needs 12/12 and also no darkness interruption.

like i said, you need to research and keep on reading but theres lots of growers here to help you also.

ps. theres no right way to grow.

buddy i know how to grow this is my 5th time i just never bothered with males, im familiar with the difference in n-p-k ratio, and light cycles for veg and flowering . its just that i never kept the males after they showed sex they were killed right then this time im keeping the males cus im gonna pollinate the females. And i already have females and males growing but they just started to show sex so im seperating the males and females and im asking what light cycle i should use meaning should i use 12/12 or if i used sumthing less then 12 hours of light if the males will finish producing pollen before my female would be ready to pollinate cus i know females given less hours of light wil finish earlier then with more hours of light , and the reason y im asking about the nutrients is cus i know when females are producing seeds they require more potassium and nitrogen so im wondering if males require more of nitrogen, phosphorus, or potassium so they can properly produce pollen oh and like i said i know how to grow i just never bothered with males tell now

as far as nutes go...i do believe that what you use for the females is fine...it is what the husband and i have used

you would flower them to produce pollen on a regular 12/12 cycle...they can start to produce some pollen while in veg so be careful!

after pollination it takes thirty days minimum to get good seed ...you should try to time your pollination so that the seed is ripe for your plants harvest

well im growing with bag seeds so the harvest times are different most of the time so im just gonna pollinate a few lower branches and harvest those when the seeds ready and let the rest of the plant finish but im sure this will cause a good amount of stress but its only one plant i got 2 other females that will be left alone. thanks for the info ldylunatic

if you want males to fully flower, then use 12/12. As for nutes, i think you feed it the same as the female because the males produce THC too but not very potent.

my bad man, i guess i misread your thread. i'm was just trying to help.

Budz...You are so right. Seeded plants do require a "full" spectrum nutrient regime, throughout the flowering proces, in order to produce the best, fully developed, viable seeds .
..Males however, do not require a lot of attention. They still need nutrients and light, but will survive and produce pollen under much less fovorable conditions than a female.
Ldy lunatic is right. Seeds require 4 weeks 'minimum' to mature to viability, but "IMHO" 6 weeks is better. I usually determine their maturity by watching the "husks" enveloping the seed. When the seeds are ready, the husk will split, prepareing to drop the seed.
Remember, 1 pistil+1grain of pollen=1seed. I prefer applying pollen with a small artists paintbrush, to avoid undue contamination.

ps. theres no right way to grow.
...there sure as hell are lotsa' wrong ways, though..heee hee

alright thanks for all the help everybuddy

Latest posts

Back