question about my new light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorgrower

Reaction score
I just picked up a new 1000w hps light. It is a digital lumatek with the dimmable option. My grow room is 3x5x7. Is using the 1000w setting worth the extra heat? Or should I turn it down to 750 or even 600? I have the light about two feet from the tops. When I first switched from my old 400w to the 1000w I burnt the tops of four buds. That was a hard learned lesson. Thanks.

Knock it down to 600w unless your temperatures will suffer.

600w lights put out 92000 lumens.
1000w lights put out 140000 lumens.

5x3 is 15 sq ft.

You want 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and 5000 per sq ft for flowering.

92000/15= 6300 lumens per sq ft. More than enough.
140000/15= 9300 lumens per sq ft. Absurd.

Hope this helps. :)

I veg and flower w/ 1k watts per 4x4. Thats 8750 per sq ft. I cannot imagine using any less. Thats only if you are maxing out your space w/ plant coverage. Like no empty spaces or not being able to see the floor from above.

juniorgrower said:
When I first switched from my old 400w to the 1000w I burnt the tops of four buds. That was a hard learned lesson. Thanks.

good day.
so your running a 1000w as we speak?? if so whats yer tems at now??
areyou bare bulbing it? or do you use a air cooled hood??
if you have an air cooled hood.. you could probaly lower your light some..
just watch for heat stress... or do the old back of the hand trick..

im with NC on this.. i would use the 1k and top n top n train your plants to fill yer room from wall to wall.. you will find this to be much nicer..and yes 5000 lumens is the min for flower... if you can manage more then by all means do so...

when i use to grow in a 2x4 tent i use to only grow 2 ladies and topped n lst'ed them from one end to the other...
hope this helps some..
LH

getnasty said:
92000/15= 6300 lumens per sq ft. More than enough.
140000/15= 9300 lumens per sq ft. Absurd.

I disagree that 9300 lumens is absurd. the sun gives us up to 12,000 lumens per sq ft. I personally get good yields with around 10,000 lumens per sq ft.
the 3000/5000 are minimum standards IMO.
As long as the temps can be kept in check, go for Gold! or Green should I say..

ishnish said:
I disagree that 9300 lumens is absurd. the sun gives us up to 12,000 lumens per sq ft. I personally get good yields with around 10,000 lumens per sq ft.
the 3000/5000 are minimum standards IMO.
As long as the temps can be kept in check, go for Gold! or Green should I say..
Definitely a different understanding than I have on it. I've heard other information on these boards that indicate 3000/5000 are for efficiency. Not minimum standards. The more light your girls get, you're obviously going to have a better crop. But you're also going to be blowing greenbacks out your wazoo by giving the plants TOO MANY lumens that they don't necessarily NEED to be fruitful.

Well now getnasty... To my understanding, A plants growth is limited by its environment.
So I can see how your way of thinking can be correct. If the root zone is limited and airflow is limited, then yes, there can be "too many" lumens. However, if one gives a prime environment for the plants development; ie: Roots get all the water, oxygen, and nutes necessary, and with plenty of air circulation in the area(or CO2 enrichment), along with Massive lumens.
Then, larger crops can be realized.
Plants need:
A) Light
B) CO2(top)
C) Oxygen(roots)
D) Water/Nutrients
E) Some TLC~ :icon_smile:
Conclusion: A plants growth is limited by it's most limiting factor.

I'm sure that there is a point of diminishing returns, but I don't know what it is. Also, like ishnish mentioned, you have to have other things right for the plant to be able to take care of those extra lumens.

I have always considered the 3000/5000 minimums, not necessarily the most efficient.

I have 4 Pineapple express in 5 gal smart pots, 2 chemdog and 1 diesel in 7 gal poly grow bags. I am using a cheap maxwing type reflector with my new light. I have a 18" fan blowing right across the tops of the plants and right below the light. I have a 4" inline fan hooked to the ceiling exhausting the air out of the room. There is a hole in the bottom of one wall that allows fresh air to be pulled in. Thank you for all of your help.

juniorgrower said:
I have 4 Pineapple express in 5 gal smart pots, 2 chemdog and 1 diesel in 7 gal poly grow bags. I am using a cheap maxwing type reflector with my new light. I have a 18" fan blowing right across the tops of the plants and right below the light. I have a 4" inline fan hooked to the ceiling exhausting the air out of the room. There is a hole in the bottom of one wall that allows fresh air to be pulled in. Thank you for all of your help.

whats yer temps??
LH

Latest posts

Back