Question about Organic Growing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SKAGITMAGIC

After watchin Novellechef and a couple other Organic growers on here I decided to give it a go, and make some changes, I've actually been useing a combination of organic worm tea and AB Fertilizers and PlantMarvel products, I've been doing ok but I didn't even own a ph meter I felt if I was to give any advice and help, I couldn't tell ppl they dont need a PH Meter cause I don't have one!! So I got one, my PH out of the tap is just below 7 maybe 6.8 1/2, I bought some Mad Farmer Get Down lol, MY QUESTION, useing this chemical to lower PH, can you still consider your grow organic? I'd use it every watering to get the ("preferred PH"). This is some new stuff (freebies) I'm useing for my vegging stage on the new grow, its 10 10 2 peruvian seabird guano, a tbls. per gal. of water for young plants.

P1090177.JPG

Hey Skagit- the thing about true organics is not adjusting your ph at all and letting the environment you create and foster to naturally provide the nutrition to the plant.

Water is water in organic growing in my opinion as far as ph is concerned. The bigger area of concern lies in the quality of your water- what's in it. Good filtered water or rainwater and you're good to go.

Good luck on your journey.

BBFan said:
Hey Skagit- the thing about true organics is not adjusting your ph at all and letting the environment you create and foster to naturally provide the nutrition to the plant.

Water is water in organic growing in my opinion as far as ph is concerned. The bigger area of concern lies in the quality of your water- what's in it. Good filtered water or rainwater and you're good to go.

Good luck on your journey.
:holysheep: Every once in a while on here I read something that slaps me in the face and wakes me up. I have been going all organic ( at least thought I was ) always worrying about my ph and adding up or down truing to get it perfect and didn't even think about the fact that I was adding chemicals to my water. Thanks for opening my eyes. :goodposting:

I was shocked to read that you had to have filtered water to be organic. We do have our whole house water filtered. Not because of the pot but because of where we live.I don't ph either and have been organic all my grows.
BBfanis right. Good luck. I really think organic is the way to go.

Filtering water only does so much--it will not remove dissolved solids--you need something like an RO or a water treatment system for that. In addition, I don't believe that you need to filter/treat your water unless it is bad. I have a ppm of about 50 from the tap--I have an RO, but do not use it as there is virtually nothing to filter from my water.

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here. In an organic grow, the ph regulating mechanism is the the bacteria, fungi, and other micro organisms, not so much the organic nutes used. However, there is a relatively narrow ph window that the micro organisms will flourish in. Outside of that range and they will become inactive or die. By messing with the ph of your water, you could be killing the very thing that you are trying to encourage to live. Organics can be summed by thinking of it as a living entity...which of course it is. And you are feeding it...not with nutes...but micro organisms. :D

umbra said:
I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here. In an organic grow, the ph regulating mechanism is the the bacteria, fungi, and other micro organisms, not so much the organic nutes used. However, there is a relatively narrow ph window that the micro organisms will flourish in. Outside of that range and they will become inactive or die. By messing with the ph of your water, you could be killing the very thing that you are trying to encourage to live. Organics can be summed by thinking of it as a living entity...which of course it is. And you are feeding it...not with nutes...but micro organisms. :D
I have been doing fine without changing my PH,I'll put the bottle on the shelf with the super thrive and the other snake oils. thank you for your replies.

Latest posts

Back