Question about pot culture design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I saw a system for sale that uses a big reservoir of nutes and it feeds individual soil pots by gravity to a dish under the pot so that the plant can suck it up. It uses a float valve at each pot dish that turns the flow off and on as the water level in the pot dish goes up and down.
This sounds like a convenient system, but is it any good for pot?
The pots would never dry out and there would always be some liquid in the dish, touching roots.
It sounds like it would work better for a hydro setup but not for soil.
Does anyone use such a system for pot growing, and does it work?

Sounds like Ebb and Flow to me,,kinda,sorta. But if your roots are gonna be in water all the time, ,they need oxygen, ,a bubbler,,or the roots will rot.

Could you link the system so we could get a better look at it. From your description though, I can think of several problems. First as a plumber, I see float valves fail all the time. While I don't quite understand where the float valve is located, I personally would be leery of trusting a float valve--failure will cause a flood. If the float valve is anywhere near where the roots grow, the roots can cause the float valve to not work properly. Also, it is not really a good idea to have standing water in the bottom of a pot all the time. Cannabis needs to go through wet and dry cycles unless you are doing hydro. Any standing water needs to be continually aerated.

But I may not be understanding the set up at all, so a link would reqally help so we really know what it is you are looking at.

I would be a bit leery of this. It really does not give much info on how it works. And you cannot leave a hydro system "for weeks at a time", regardless of what they say. I have never had much luck at all with drippers. They tend to get clogged from the nutrients in the water. Also, I see nothing about any aeration. You cannot let nutes sit in a bucket without aeration.

What are you looking for Joe? I am quite happy running 5 gal DWC buckets.

It was just curiosity. I'm happy growing in soil for the time being.
I would like to have the space to set up a dwc system. I grew one 5 gal bubble bucket and produced a monster plant, but the daily maintenance for the single bucket was too much.

I really do not do daily maintenance. In a lot of ways I find hydro easier than soil.

Yeah, my hydro plants just do so much better than my soil plants....I guess that I am a water kind of gal.

Latest posts

Back