Question about types of soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloydBanks

Reaction score
I went to walmart today to the garden section to check out what they offered... I'm not sure what kind I need exactly, and I know if it turns out to be lacking in anything (NPK's) then I can get some plant food high in which one it needs and supplement, but the question I have is: I can use the same type of soil from seedling to flowering, correct? and is miracle grow alright? I think the one that they had at walmart said it feeds plants for ~3months. Does this mean that unless there is a problem, I shouldn't have to give my ladies any nutrients at all? Or is it still advisable to give them some after the first couple weeks?

FloydBanks said:
I went to walmart today to the garden section to check out what they offered... I'm not sure what kind I need exactly, and I know if it turns out to be lacking in anything (NPK's) then I can get some plant food high in which one it needs and supplement, but the question I have is: I can use the same type of soil from seedling to flowering, correct? and is miracle grow alright? I think the one that they had at walmart said it feeds plants for ~3months. Does this mean that unless there is a problem, I shouldn't have to give my ladies any nutrients at all? Or is it still advisable to give them some after the first couple weeks?
Well i would tell ya to get some Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil if ya could but if that's all you can get it will work. We use it every grow and have only had a few problems. Ya wanna pic up a bag of perlite also. Be sure and get the perlite with no nutes in it. The only time we give them nutes when using this soil is about 2 or 3 weeks into flower and even then they are very small doses. ;)

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
Well i would tell ya to get some Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil if ya could but if that's all you can get it will work. We use it every grow and have only had a few problems. Ya wanna pic up a bag of perlite also. Be sure and get the perlite with no nutes in it. The only time we give them nutes when using this soil is about 2 or 3 weeks into flower and even then they are very small doses. ;)

What is the perlite for? Do I want to mix that in to my MG from the start?... so how much and when do I use that.

FloydBanks said:
What is the perlite for? Do I want to mix that in to my MG from the start?... so how much and when do I use that.
Perlite makes it so your soil has some air moving through it and it also helps with water drainage. Yes you mix it in your soil right from the start. How much you mix into the soil depends on how big the pots are that your gonna use. ;)

I'm planning on starting out in something like a cup, or a jiffy pot, then transplanting to 5 gallon buckets. Is there a site somewhere that has a perlite to soil ratio? Or you could just give me suggestions I guess.. I'm gonna have to bookmark this thread :)
I just checked out my mersh seeds, and one of them is starting to sprout a taproot (I'm WICKED EXCITED, this is my first ever, i hope it's not a male lol)

FloydBanks said:
I'm planning on starting out in something like a cup, or a jiffy pot, then transplanting to 5 gallon buckets. Is there a site somewhere that has a perlite to soil ratio? Or you could just give me suggestions I guess.. I'm gonna have to bookmark this thread :)
I just checked out my mersh seeds, and one of them is starting to sprout a taproot (I'm WICKED EXCITED, this is my first ever, i hope it's not a male lol)
Well we usually put about 16 oz. plastic cup of perlite in a 3 gallon pot. So i would maybe put about 1 1/2 16 oz. cups of perlite in a 5 gallon pot. If you start them out in cups i would mix maybe a half of a handful in maybe less. I will try and post a pic for ya tomorrow mixing some perlite with the soil. I would do it right now but i'm real bust with some other stuff. ;)

no hurry for pics, but that gives me a good idea..... like a solo cup and a half, easy enough.
thanks for the help.

something else, is MG moisture control okay to use? I just noticed that's what I just (like 10 minutes ago) purchased. I can get the regular potting soil if that kind is not ok to use, it was only like $3.00

FloydBanks said:
something else, is MG moisture control okay to use? I just noticed that's what I just (like 10 minutes ago) purchased. I can get the regular potting soil if that kind is not ok to use, it was only like $3.00
Sorry never used that soil before. Ya might wanna get the other stuff just in case. We use that ever grow with great results. ;)

is "ever grow" just the plain "MG Potting Soil" ? Also, there was another MG for seedlings, and another kind that wasn't MG that said it feeds plants for up to 9 months.

FloydBanks said:
is "ever grow" just the plain "MG Potting Soil" ? Also, there was another MG for seedlings, and another kind that wasn't MG that said it feeds plants for up to 9 months.
You wanna get the soil that says feed plants up to 3 months. It's in a yellow and green bag with some red on it.

Perlite will add moisture retention. In high humidity, it well help keep your 'loamy' soil from drying out to quickly, especially late in flower, or in small sized pots, 30% is a pretty high ratio. Any higher and you are basically hydro or soilless. People with terminally low humidity like myself, might actually try adding less...closer to 10%. The idea is to match your ratio with your environment, so your 'dry cycle' from watering to watering is close to 2-3 days IMO.

Perlite does add air passages and pockets too, just as TBG said. And the ratio should usually increase as pots and plants get bigger...just as he also pointed out. I just try to find a happy medium, since I reuse soil. A little topsoil, or peat will increase the 'loam' if you have added to much.

The moisture control one that I bought says it feeds plants up to 3 months. Does this maybe have perlite in it already? I'll have to check I guess. (i bought a bag of perlite too).
I think I might just go back and get the plain MG "Potting Soil" just to be safe.. I will try atleast 1 plant with the moisture control though.

Diseased Strain said:

LOL...yeah, I do things a little different I guess, cheapest meds possible for me. I just posted a long description on how I do it earlier today in another thread....shouldn't be tough to find. Tons of info in my grow journal too.

Elephant Man said:
LOL...yeah, I do things a little different I guess, cheapest meds possible for me. I just posted a long description on how I do it earlier today in another thread....shouldn't be tough to find. Tons of info in my grow journal too.

Hey whatever floats your boat. :)
I'm sure my ways are crazy to someone else. Who's to judge. :D

Latest posts

Back