Question for Carty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flower

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
FD2A8472-C424-4BBB-96B9-0BBFC41626B9.jpeg

This is the original Lemon Auto I grew a few months ago that produced a half dozen seeds.
08C22957-20CF-4253-A11A-D7E77F09FB51.jpeg

This is the first of those seeds I grew.
1AED1F9C-E46B-4CC4-B4B7-7DF76527297B.jpeg

This is where I am at with the second seed. Seems to be a totally different pheno than the first two, and it has not shown any sign of flowering.

Could one of these seeds end up being a photo?

And yes, I have watched both of the bag seed plants closely for signs of herming.
I had zero problems with the first one.

So, are you saying you can put it in 12/12 for a day or two to jump start it, and then stick it back in 18/6?
Hey @Carty

What's the longest you've seen an auto go before showing preflower? My knows Candy is going on six weeks and nothing.

"Hey bro.... um, just over a month and that plant finished at almost 5ft. 6wks is really unheard of and you may be dealing with a cross that hasn't been quite mastered yet and still throws some photo periods, needs to be taken a
few more gens to weed them out and keep breeding just fast showing autos until ya do.. flip your lights to 12/12
for a week and you should see the tops yellow.. sowwy."

I've researched beyond this, and an auto does what an auto does. If not... It's a photo in an auto's clothing.

Last edited:
Could one of these seeds end up being a photo?

Oh for sure.. Unless your working with genetics from known vendors your taking the chance of this happening. besides the fact photo periods lie dormant in all the Autos anyway.. the better the breeder,
the deeper they lie and go unnoticed.
My rule of thumb is: If after 4wks an Auto has not shown sex yet, it's usually not an auto.
Unless: It's a full on Sativa or heavily dominant within the hybrid..

I'd say, mark this little experiment as gone well.. but move on to bigger and better things. your plant looked wonderful btw. great job..

Just my thoughts.

My thinking was this, photo plants are used in the breeding of autos, so there is always the possibility of a recessive photo gene rearing its head regardless of how stable the genetics.
I figured the possibility may be even stronger with bag seed, and was almost hoping it would happen just so I could see the results.
I used to raise and train hunting dogs.
Dogs commonly show unwanted recessive traits, such as a flag tail, an odd color, or any number of things that had not popped up in recent memory.
I just wanted to verify that I was right, an auto can recessively throw a photo seed.
I will just continue to let the plant be and observe it at the moment. She may teach me something else.

It is a pretty plant, though.

I'd say flip it and see what happens.
I am gonna let in go for a few more weeks. If I decide 12/12 will be necessary, I am gonna try and clone it first.
The first bean I popped flowered pretty fast, but was a small plant. Keep in mind though, the plant never really had any smell the whole time it was growing, and it still doesn’t. I still have some in a mason jar. I have not opened the jar in a few weeks. I just cracked it, and the only smell is has produced so far is a mild cucumber smell. It’s great smoke though, actually one of my favorites, that’s why I still have some. Kind of stuck it back for special occasions.
Now I would hate to trash the current plant I have growing now when I may have accidentally produced a freak scent less photo,lol.
What if Brothers Grimm hadn’t ever planted them bastard seeds they found in a bag of Jack Herer?

E8AAD4AE-648B-452E-9993-980C2DEA8561.jpeg

This is the original plant that the seeds came from.
17F54390-90EC-49D0-B9FC-F032D8C8BEA2.jpeg

I think the leaves on the current plant are more indica leaning than the original.
Also, it’s in a 3 gallon pot.

F2 is the gen that shows all the variance usually.. and why breeders usually use them to pheno hunt.
The offspring will still show Mom, Dad, and a mix leaning to mommy, a mix leading to daddy. and all
those in between.
nice when it's narrowed down to just 2 pheno's..

Your plants look healthy and happy.. so just have fun and keep in mind this may have been a very early cross breeding this auto and needed another round or two to eliminate the Non Auto's still popping up.
Pick a male or 2 you like.. look for males who show sex the latest. gives the auto more veg time in the end.
pick a female you like and make more seeds.. your offspring will show less if any photo periods..

luck

Okay... what I can see is. It is a she because she has shown her sex. Now if she showed sex under 18/6
she should be an auto. If she is 3wks old or so, this is all normal.

If in another week your not seeing hairs shooting out all over as she gets further along into preflowering, I'd
go ahead and run her on 12/12 so you at least get a harvest. it does happen.

And your right, she is pretty. I'd clean up her bottom a little bit. it will increase your air flower around the plant and make her even healthier. it will also help the plant concentrate on the upper parts where the flowers are.. hang in there
preflower and sexed.jpeg

Did you take the bottom out of the Jiffy Pot?
Possibility that it slowed down the root growth if the roots didn't get through the Jiffy Pot good. I always remove the bottom if I plant them like that.

Latest posts

Back