Question for Satori growers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I’m finally going to grow some Satori seeds in soil and want to give them the best start.
I am going to use airpots and a 1m x1m x2m grow tent with a 400 watt metal halide for veg and a 600 watt hps for flower.
I was wondering what basics those who have grown Satori can recommend?

What size pot- 10L or 15L?
I would like to have about 2 or 3 Satori and a total of 6 plants in the tent. Does that sound alright?

What soil and soil pH to use?
Mandala has some unusual recommendations about soil types and seems to promote pre-fertilized generic soils like Miracle Gro and warns against some of the well known soils like Canna and Bio Bizz.
Their philosophy seems to be to use more pre-fertilized soils and then use little or no added nutes during the grow to reduce mistakes and make growing easier, but buying generic pre-fertilized garden center soils may have the wrong mix of nutrients for pot compared to some more dedicated nute solutions sold with growing pot in mind.
Maybe using a low-fert Canna soil and Canna nutes would provide better nutrition than using MiracleGro pre-fertilized soil and only watering for the first couple of months? I don’t know. I’m tempted to follow the exact recommendations of the people who bred the strain.

How long before you can see the sex of the plant?
How long for flowering?

What sort of watering and feeding schedule?
What sort of temp and humidity to aim for?

Satori is supposed to be a very light feeder and I am aware that airpots will tend to dry out quicker.
I may use a variety of airpots and regular square pots to see if they make any difference.
Thanks to any Satori growers for advice.

Hi Joe, Satori is a thirsty girl. She drinks more then other plants.I have saucers under my smart pots and leave a lot of run off and come back to check and it is usually gone. She doesn't like a lot of nutes. She would not do well in a prenuted soil like MG, as it is too hot. They can take 8 weeks to sex. I flower mine about 64 days or so. They can take heat which is a wonderful trait.

I am organic and i start her in happy frog by fox farms, that has enough nutes for three weeks or so. Then you will either need to start feeding or add teas.

Mandala has wonderful genetics. Satori is my favorite daytime smoke. She is pretty. She doesn't mind being fimmed or topped. Green mojo for your grow, you have a great genetics going for you.

Thanks, Rosebud
Maybe an airpot is not the best choice for a thirsty plant then?

What size containers do you use? How big/tall does she get?

Here is one of mine, i always top her or at least fimm her. I use 5 gallon smart pots. I am sure you can use the airpot too. Just put a saucer under her so she can finish her drink. Here is a favorite picture of my satori... Love this girl.View attachment satori and trunk.JPG

Nice looking plant Rose. That chest behind her is pretty cool as well.

What Hammy said!! Love that pic also!

dang rose did yah feed her or is that just her on her own? she looks almost blue with all that even yellowing, look so pretty, i cant wait for mine to look like that but they only have their 2nd sets of leaves growing in now so its gonna be a while lol.

She looks pretty hungry huh Sunakard. Yes i fed her, but I can't remember if that was in my Super soil, or just ffof with nutes... At any rate, she does look hungry.

naw she looks beautyful and ripe for the pickin, how far along was that one? sorry if i kinda hijacked the thread for a min but its not off topic lol, iv got 3 satori and 3 fruitylicious younglings going on their 2nd set of leaves, so im trying to get a lock on these gals from the get go, well assuming any of the 3 satori i started are female, fingers crossed, i have had pretty good luck with females from reg seeds but still fingers are crossed lol, i hope mine look that pretty at harvest.

so with the FFoF and nutes, what nutes do yah use? im using the General Organics line, they are in Happy Frog during veg and i hit them with the hotter FFOF mix for flower, as alot of people around here do, iv been growing a really hungary strain for quite a while now so im used to being heavy handed on my nutes, just wanna get a guage on if regular strength is too much. i also use a tea i get for free from HTG... its a pretty basic mix not specificaly for veg or flower but iv also got powder mix for veg and one for flower i add to their tea. the gals i have now love it but i do add a double dose of nutes per gallon of tea. sorry for rambling just trying to get my thoughts out there and any feedback is always appreciated... lol sexy satori pics are a nice bonus ;P

What i am using now is this... Biotone starter plant food. I put a third of a cup of that and mix some Happy frog with it and that goes in the bottom of the container. Then HF for the rest. Seems to work well. When i use bottled nutes I use Earth Juice. If they still look hungry a top dress with guano. Now you know everything...lol Enjoy your grow.

Ps I think i took that Satori that day..usually 64 days.

I’m finally going to grow some Satori seeds in soil and want to give them the best start.
I am going to use airpots and a 1m x1m x2m grow tent with a 400 watt metal halide for veg and a 600 watt hps for flower.
I was wondering what basics those who have grown Satori can recommend?

What size pot- 10L or 15L?
I would like to have about 2 or 3 Satori and a total of 6 plants in the tent. Does that sound alright?

What soil and soil pH to use?
Mandala has some unusual recommendations about soil types and seems to promote pre-fertilized generic soils like Miracle Gro and warns against some of the well known soils like Canna and Bio Bizz.
Their philosophy seems to be to use more pre-fertilized soils and then use little or no added nutes during the grow to reduce mistakes and make growing easier, but buying generic pre-fertilized garden center soils may have the wrong mix of nutrients for pot compared to some more dedicated nute solutions sold with growing pot in mind.
Maybe using a low-fert Canna soil and Canna nutes would provide better nutrition than using MiracleGro pre-fertilized soil and only watering for the first couple of months? I don’t know. I’m tempted to follow the exact recommendations of the people who bred the strain.

How long before you can see the sex of the plant?
How long for flowering?

What sort of watering and feeding schedule?
What sort of temp and humidity to aim for?

Satori is supposed to be a very light feeder and I am aware that airpots will tend to dry out quicker.
I may use a variety of airpots and regular square pots to see if they make any difference.
Thanks to any Satori growers for advice.

First of all, I don't see you getting 6 plants (2-3 of them Satori) in a 1 m x 1 meter tent. Satori can grow to be a big girl. I probably would not put more than 3 Satori in a tent that size.

Go with the larger pots. Like Rosebud said, they are thirsty girls and will drink more water than a lot of other strains I have grown. At the same time she is efficient in her nutrient uptake and so likes a weaker nute solution. I grows her in a DWC system most of the time and use GH Flora 3 part nutrients.

I have found that Satori can take longer to sex. Sometimes the plants go 8 weeks before they show. This makes for a larger plant (part of the reason that I do not believe that you can fit more than 3 Satori in your tent). I flower mine nine weeks.

I just love my Satori. I hope you like her as much as I do.

Thanks. As I recall, my hydro plant was huge compared to my soil plants, but I agree that 6 is probably too much unless they grow small and thin.

I was going to plant 4 seeds and hope that 2 of them turn out female.
I also plan to plant another two Mandala strains that are supposedly nice indica types (hubble bubble and frutilicious). Those are feminized photo seeds, so I planned to plant one of each and hope that both turn out females.
So, in the end, I hope for 4 plants, 2 satori and 2 indicas.
Can you say what sort of yield I might get from one satori plant in soil?
Would it be worthwhile to use a 600W for veg and for flower rather than a 400 for veg and a 600 for flower to increase yield or limit stretching?

I use T5's for vegging so I would say 400 for veg and 600 for flower.

Thanks.
I do have a spare tent (smaller) that I could set up if more than 2 of the satori turn out female. I'd hate to waste them.
May I ask, would you consider asking for an exchange for a seed pack dated over a year old?
I noticed on the Mandala seed pack labels that the satori was packed in Jan 2014, which is great, but the other two (feminized hubble bubble and frutilicious seeds) are dated may 2013 and july 2012. That seems a bit old for me and wondered if it was typical or should I expect fresh seeds?
I bought them from an online vendor, not directly from Mandala.

Mandala really has no control whatsoever on the turnover of stock of their resellers. I doubt that Mandala will supply fresh seeds because of an irresponsible reseller. Wouldn';t hurt anything, though, to shoot them an e-mail and ask.

Latest posts

Back