question on branches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUDZ420

mmMMmm HAZE
Reaction score
first ill explain my growing method, im growing in a metal cabnet with around 60-70 watts of florescent lighting im giving them blood meal and bone meal they havent gotten any patassium till now i just added scottes 10-10-10 an hour ago had to drive out of town to get it finally, for light cycles i start plants with 24 hours a day of light until they are 8-9 inches tall then i switch the light to 12-12 even thought they have'nt showed sex yet but right now the plants are on there 3rd week off 12-12 and they just started showing sex 2 days ago and the branches are just startng to come out is this normal cus i could of sworn the last grow already had small branches by this time could this be a sign of potassium defisioncy (thats spelled wrong but u know what i mean) cus they are growing slow with the leaves curling underneath, oh and if this helps too im pretty sure they are indica

BUDZ420 said:
first ill explain my growing method, im growing in a metal cabnet with around 60-70 watts of florescent lighting im giving them blood meal and bone meal they havent gotten any patassium till now i just added scottes 10-10-10 an hour ago had to drive out of town to get it finally, for light cycles i start plants with 24 hours a day of light until they are 8-9 inches tall then i switch the light to 12-12 even thought they have'nt showed sex yet but right now the plants are on there 3rd week off 12-12 and they just started showing sex 2 days ago and the branches are just startng to come out is this normal cus i could of sworn the last grow already had small branches by this time could this be a sign of potassium defisioncy (thats spelled wrong but u know what i mean) cus they are growing slow with the leaves curling underneath, oh and if this helps too im pretty sure they are indica
Whats up BUDZ420. Are you talking about the side branches? Do you have any pics of your plants? Sometimes these branches can be small and big. It all depends on how much light they are getting.

If I may critique your grow:
Know that blood and bones are toxic when inhaled or absorbed through the skin.
You should wear gloves and a painter's mask when handling them. (You should do this with ALL dry nutrients, and wear gloves when dealing with liquid nutrients, but blood and bones are particularly nasty).
There are much safer alternatives (guano for example) that don't require the death of a mammal.

And

You might want to keep a journal of your grows. That way their would be no "I could of sworn the last grow..."
The safest way is to do this on-line at a site like this.

"Potassium (K) activates the manufacture and movement of sugars and starches, as well as growth by cell division. Potassium increases chlorophyll in foliage and helps regulate stomata openings so plants make better use of light and air. Potassium encourages strong root growth, water uptake and triggers enzymes that fight disease. Potassium is necessary during all stages of growth. It is especially important in the development of fruit."....AND..
" Potassium (K) is required for healthy leaves, flowers anf fruit, also making plants winter hardy and improving disease resistance. It is taken up by the plant as soluble K+ ions. The amount of N that is present in relation to K has an important effect on balanced growth. The ideal N:K ratio is 1:1 for most crops and 2:3 for root crops and legumes. Leafy crops take up large amounts of K if they are fed extra N. Grasses take in more K than they need and if the cuttings are continually removed this leads to depletion of the reserves of K in the soil. Where there is a deficiency the plants grow slowly with a greater risk of disease and some plants may show bronzing of the foliage.
Chemical weathering of rocks and soil frees K+ ions which are usually adsorbed by soil particles, but they can be leached from sandy soils which are low in organic matter. Magnesium (Mg++) ions compete with K+ for uptake, but if the K:Mg ratio is about 3:1 or 4:1 there is no problem.

Artificially K it is applied as:-
* Potassium Nitrate (K2NO3) - the advantage of this compound is that it provides N as well. Most K salts are very soluble and Potassium Nitrate is hygroscopic which means that it draws moisture from the air so left on its own it becomes liquid, so it is best used in a resin coated, slow-release formulation.
* Potassium Oxide (K2O) Potassium Magnesium Sulphate ( or Sulphate of Potash Magnesia K2SO4) and Potassium Chloride (or Muriate of Potash KCl ) are other salts that are used. The Chloride ions can build up upsetting the osmotic balance and some crops such as potatoes are sensitive to Chloride ions.
* An Organic source is ash from burnt green wood and foliage which contains 5-15% K and adding organic matter improves the holding capacity for K+ in sandy soils."
they are growing slow with the leaves curling underneath,
...the first thing that comes to mind, is 'over watering'.

though I agree, there are far better, less toxic sources of nitrogen, phophates and potasium (manures, guanos, alfalfa, fish,wood ash, compost, seaweed, kelp, feathermeal.ect) , I doubt any "require the death of a mammal". Those products are by-products of the slaughter process. Untill the majority of the population ceases to indudge Micky D's, Burger King, Out back, Hardees, Jack-in-the-Box, Oscar Myer, ect,. ect. there wil be plenty of by-product without killing for the purpose of fertilizers.

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT- yea the ones that come out between the fan leafs and the main stem i read in one of ed rosenthal's books the indoor high yield guide that afghani and kush grow small branches but im not saying thats the answer just bringing it up

GANJAGURU- thanks for that info didnt really think of that

BUDZ420 said:
THE BROTHER'S GRUNT- yea the ones that come out between the fan leafs and the main stem i read in one of ed rosenthal's books the indoor high yield guide that afghani and kush grow small branches but im not saying thats the answer just bringing it up..........oh and if this helps too im pretty sure they are indica

"Branching" can be strain/phenotype related, and/or light related, nutrient related, space related.

Latest posts

Back