Question on harvesting rain water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been wanting to harvest rain water for a while now. My plan is to buy a 12 or 16 foot section of gutter, get a down spout and run it into a plastic 50 gallon drum (new). What makes a good filter for the top of the drum to keep unwanted contaminates out?

Hoping someone has knowledge of this. We have a huge storm coming so I'm gonna try to get it up by then

I collect rain water with no filtration. I also have metal roof. I dont think I would collect from a comp/tar roof. I only deal with pine needles and mosquito's . an air stone in the drum will keep them away. I would not use the pellets they use for Horse trough

Rainwater can be good or bad. If you live in an industrial area or areas pollution, impurities can be picked up in the rainwater.

I love Rain Water. But again,,if i lived around the Coast of Texas or Louisiana,, i wouldnt dare use there water. Im scared to drink water there. New Orleans just had a to deal with a Brain Eating Ameba in there water supplies.

I have a rain barrel and use it for outdoor flowers and vegetables, it just has a screen top and it sits under the downspout on the house. for indoor use i would only be worried about bug larvae so dont let the water stand for very long.

Yeah I would worry about the bugs and such, I use nothing but rainwater for my regular garden, and it works fantastic....but I would not want to use it on my indoor facility, plus it seems no matter what I end up with little bits and pieces of my roof tiles.

Thanks for the input guys! Think I'll do some more research before I bring rain water into my garden

Latest posts

Back