Question regarding purple

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merla

Reaction score
I know that purple bud is a result of both genetic and enviormental condtions, but I'm just wondering if any particular strains will pretty much stay green and not turn purple at all?

I'm growing some plants now, not sure what strain it is, the buds off the parent plant tasted like a sativa though and were all green with nice bright orange hairs. I'm hoping to get the plants purple by introducing them to cold tempratures over night, but I'm not sure if this will work because it might not be genetically viable. And I'm not sure how cold is "too cold", if you know what I mean. Any input by people who have had experience turning plants puple through envioronmental changes would be good. Or even if you just know some helpful tips and tricks or have links to other sites, anything, doesn't matter. I havn't had much luck today finding out stuff.

Forum looks good by the way, hope to discuss more pot related issues here in the future. Feel free to treat me like a n00b though.

i know that cold can change the color of fan leaves but i dont know about changing the color of the bud itself. is this what you mean?

I'm wondering why the emphasis on turning buds purple?

Merla said:
I know that purple bud is a result of both genetic and enviormental condtions, but I'm just wondering if any particular strains will pretty much stay green and not turn purple at all?

I'm growing some plants now, not sure what strain it is, the buds off the parent plant tasted like a sativa though and were all green with nice bright orange hairs. I'm hoping to get the plants purple by introducing them to cold tempratures over night, but I'm not sure if this will work because it might not be genetically viable. And I'm not sure how cold is "too cold", if you know what I mean. Any input by people who have had experience turning plants puple through envioronmental changes would be good. Or even if you just know some helpful tips and tricks or have links to other sites, anything, doesn't matter. I havn't had much luck today finding out stuff.

Forum looks good by the way, hope to discuss more pot related issues here in the future. Feel free to treat me like a n00b though.
Hey Merla, welcome to the group. It is the best group I've ever been in. There are MJ Pros of every type in here.

If your plant is grown under optimum conditions for yield and potency, the plants genetics are ALL that matters when the color of the buds are a consideration. To alter your growing method to a method that stresses the plant into changing color would truly be counter productive. Stress will also affect your yield.

There are many strains available from seed banks that have anywhere from a soft, subtle purple tint to a brilliant bright purple. If having purple bud is something you desire, I would suggest purchasing a strain that will do this naturally.

Good luck to you and I sincerely hope you stick around and help us all. Every new opinion is of value here.

Thanks for the input guys, it's good to feel welcome.

It doesn't really matter to me what part of the plant turns purple (preferably the bud, but if I could just get the leaves to change that would be cool too). I've just never smoked or grown purple dope before and I'd like to experiment with this plant that I've been growing for a bit over a month now because it shows good potential for growth.

If shocking the plant and ultimately reducing the yeild is going to occur then I'll probably go against it. If I was to do it though, how cold should it be? I was thinking around 10 degrees celcius or 50 degrees fahrenheit (spelling?). Purple seeds and bud is just so damn hard to get around where I live. That's why I'm kinda under the impression that if I can't get purple naturally, then I'll just have to do it myself through altering the enviornment. Still not sure if it's a good idea though.

hey merla you can find your answer posted just today in the coffee table section. the thread is called mexican purple bud i think.

welcome aboard merla!
Reducing the temps, inhibits the plants ability to uptake Potassium, resulting in a color change due to "P" deficiency. Some strains/plants won't purple under those conditions. "purple" is pretty, but has absolutely no bearing on potency, or at least no "positive" bearing. Purple induced with cooler temps, would actually be less potent, I would think. Due to the defficiency factor.

Great, thank's for all the advice guys, it's really appreciated. I think i'll just keep her nice and green for now, I don't wanna go and screw around with the potency. Purple looks nice, but I don't wanna smoke it if it's going to be weaker than what it could be, obviously.

Latest posts

Back