????? Question!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exile06

Reaction score
Ok my plant is now about 10 days into flowering and my crown tip was alawys growing into the light so i decided to top it about a week in. i cut it off at a 45 and the plant seems to be doing ok and the flowers are getting bigger. the plant has about 7 or 8 main shoots from the lst i did to it in veg. is it ok to top a plant in flowering?

IMG-0012.JPG

IMG-0006.JPG

IMG-0004.JPG

Exile06 said:
Is it ok to top a plant in flowering?

No, for several reasons, Exile06.

1. The plant is producing buds at the ends of the branches and the topmost bud is always the best. That's the one you topped.

2. When you top a plant, it has to repair the damage and heal. That energy is taken away from the flowers.

3. The plant will attempt to split at the site of the topping. If the topping is heavy enough, it can cause the plant to become a hermie.

It's much better to use LST to redirect the tops out of the way of the light. The plant will continue to flower with all of it's energy that way.

Good luck to you man!

so will my plant turn hermie now ??? the tip of the stem where i cut the crown tip looks sealed up the buds around it look fine .

exile--- i made the same mistake. i topped them once durring veg and then about 4 days after i put them outside......i didn't know that putting them outside at this time of year would trigger immediate flowering..... none of my plants turned hermie....... lst/topping/pinching--- why don't you read up on exactly how to do it since it's actually an art and it is possible to make mistakes that will cost you bud in the end......

exile. it is a possibility that your lady will turn hermie, but you can jsut pick off the balls and not get any seeds. You will unfortunetly see much less of a yield. Like Stoney said the top cola is the main cola and produces the most weight unless you're doing lst or something.

how do my flowers look for 9 or 10 days in ,, the plant is under 2 70 watt hps each around 6300 lumens .. on oct 20th is when it will get put under a 400watt hps from ebay. next im gonna try 4-6 plants under the 400 with a hortilux bulb. i made the mistake of topping in flowering but i dont see why the plant is not going to just redirect the energy to the other buds since there is no cola but i might be totally wrong and i thought affecting the light cycles is what made a plant turn hermie .

Flowers on the other branches are looking really good. you will be getting more food to those other branches. But you lost the energy being converted by all those large fan leaves on the main cola. So with the energy being diverted to the other parts of the plants its not as much energy as there was before. Messing with the light cycles does cause hermi plants but stress espically during flowering.

I wouldn't worry too much about your plants turning hermi. Although it is possible, there is only a small chance as long as you don't top them again. It is true your buds might be stunted a little, but you still should produce good buds. I usually top no later than 1 week before I trigger to bud. Luckily they were only budding for a week when you topped so not too much damage is done other than loosing your main cola. Let us know how she goes and good luck!

TGT

How are your plants, Exile? As this is your thread.

Edit by Stoney Bud...(Very true, Fluid1. The Strangelos thread was more involved than any of us could forsee, so I moved it to it's own thread in the "Sick Plants and Problems" area.

Click here for the Strangelos Thread

Thanks for the reminder. -Stoney Bud-)

3 and a half weeks ive lost a lot of leaves and im wondering why i used MG 15-30-15 @ a 1/2 strength about a week into flower. is that just bc the bud is growing also some leaves r curling a bit . I have a not-so-good camera so i have to wait to use my buddies .. the bud looks really nice with a good cam and in person. i dont think i have nute burn so is the bud using the leaves????

IMG-0036.JPG

IMG-0034.JPG

Latest posts

Back