Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exile06

Reaction score
I just sprouted some seeds and 1 of the 3 have already popped up thru the soil , they are currently under a few 13w Cfls and a blue spectrum 65w plant light , just wondering how long until i could put them under my 100w MH or my 70 watt Hps's , i was thinking in around a week or so , so the roots can develop. thx

Exile06 said:
I just sprouted some seeds and 1 of the 3 have already popped up thru the soil , they are currently under a few 13w Cfls and a blue spectrum 65w plant light , just wondering how long until i could put them under my 100w MH or my 70 watt Hps's , i was thinking in around a week or so , so the roots can develop. thx
As tiny little seedlings that are just out of the ground, the two most dangerous things are heat and nutrients.

No nutrients until they are at least on a second node and then only 1/8th strength nutrients or you'll burn them.

The light can be as strong as you can make it without ANY HEAT on the seedlings above room temperature. They don't handle heat at all when grown indoors under artificial light. You have to find a balance between the closeness of light and how the plant reacts to the light. Too far and the seedling will grow tall and spindly. Too close and the seedling will die from the heat.

This is something you learn from experience with your own equipment.

If you want to try using one of your larger lights you can use glass between the light bulb and the plants to reduce some heat but make sure there's a fan in there to get rid of the heat. I use a 10 x 13" piece of glass from a picture frame, just rigged it up there. You can see it in this picture. It lowered the temp about 5 degrees or so.

DSCN2249.jpg

the 70 watts dont put out too much heat @ all so im just gonna wait a few days im going to put one 70 watt w/ reflector on 3or 4 seedlings and see how they do.

Like Stoney said, the little ones can't take ANY heat. Floros are perfect for little ones. After they get a few sets of leaves they should be ready.

yeah thats what i decided to since i have 3 or 4 more seeds that sprouted, im just gonna use Cfls for a couple weeks then when there nice and rooted wit a few sets of leaves ill veg them under mh or i might just use my hps lights from then on all depends because the Mh ballast and light seems to get quite hot compared to the 70 hps lights. my closet is quite small but with the hps alone i shouldnt have too much ventilation and temp problems . i will update some pics once the plants get bigger.

Latest posts

Back