Questionn...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudMan101

Reaction score
How many times should i water my plant a day? its a small pot with 2 -3 seeds in it. Its my first time growing by the way. No visibility of the plant yet.

Because it's still seed, I would just make sure the soils stays moist, but be careful not to oversaturate the soil. Just keep it damp, no more. As the plants start to grow you only need to water as the soil drys out. Over watering is far too common, patience. I don't usually run from seed but I could only assume you'd need to water maybe every couple days... probably much much less...

Next time you may want to consider germinating in paper towels. That way you can see the progression of the seeds..

Green mojo...Have fun.

also having more than 1 seed per pot may cause problems down the road like overcrowding. then the roots become all tangeld and hard to remove the males or sick plants from the others so on and so forth.

Your seeds just need it to be moist to pop, so depending on the size of your pot we are talking maybe one or two waterings over the course of a week and you should have some sprouts. I have to agree with animal454 the paper towel(I personally like using dish rags because of the texture) method works great and in my experience my seeds pop a little faster. I sit my dish rag on top of the fridge where it's nice and warm as well so I'm sure that may come into play. A small pot and multiple seeds is going to be a big problem. You need to get each seedling into a small cup, bottom of a 2 liter, or something once they pop otherwise your going to have lots of issues.

wow. I water the plant daily because my light is literally 6 inches away from the pot. It isn't florescent or one of those expensive lights. Its a 125 watt plant light from Home Depot. I have had in the pot since the 31st. I used the paper towel method and all the roots showed. I honestly water the plant anytime the soil looks dry and there is no water on the bottom of the pot. But thanks for the advice on having multiple seeds in one pot... i guess there isn't anything i can do now. But i just want the plant to show already, how much longer do i need to wait?? By the way, everytime i water the plant i add miracle grow to it too..

:eek: OH NO :eek: Do not give them miracle grow at all. When germenating seeds you need to have them in unnuted soil, gro-plugs, RW plugs, or coco. Do not give them nutes. The seedlings will burn up quickly with any nutes applied. They don't need food for at least a week AFTER they break the surface of the soil. :hitchair:

They actually feed themselves off of the 2 little roundish leaves(known as cotyledons) until they get growing good. Once you see those leaves dying off then you can feed them very lightly. MJ needs specialized food not Miracle Grow as it is way too hot for MJ.

Since they were already popped before you put them in, they should pop up about 5 days after setting them, If they haven't burned up from the nute blast. If they don't show themselves within the next 5 days, they probably burned up (unless you buried them deep. They shouldn't be more than about 1/4-12" below the surface of the soil. :)

:yeahthat: If you used any nutrients at all, you may well have killed your seeds. And when you do start feeding them (at 2-3 weeks), find something better than miracle grow. There are many fine, inexpensive nutrients formulated for mj.

Many people have misconceptions about "plant lights"--they are not grow lights. Most of them are not meant to make plants GROW WELL--they are made to make plants look good. Be sure to check the lumens and spectrum on any lights you plan on buying and run it by the forum before you buy. However, there is no need for seedlings to have any kind of "special" light--they do not want or need strong light. In fact, a strong light may be detrimental to seedlings.

water every two or three days -- pick up the pot -- if it is light weight then water. MJ prefers it if you allow them to almost dry out before you water -- In my limited experience and from what I read :) Good luck and green mojo

Peace

:watchplant:
ooooOooooOOooo wooW !! I can't believe i killed all my seeds. Damn. ~~~{>So basically, i need to have the seedlings in unnuted soil first until they grow (2-3wks), then start feeding. Then also transplant into nuted soil?
If this light is no good then i have to invest in a different bulb. Are there any inexpensive bulbs i can get that can help the growth after the plant pops out? I'm on a tight budget.
I'll look into new nutrients for mj since miracle grow is deadly for the plant. Thanks for all the help, i didn't realize i ***** up this bad. GrrRr

Don't give up on them just yet...Unless you know that they are dead, let them grow a few more days and see if they make it.

As far as lighting goes.. You need a light source(flourescent preferably) that has a spectrum of 5100K-6500K. This the vegging light that plants use. If your bulb doesn't give those numbers it isn't made for plants at all. For flowering you need a light with 2700-3100k. The amount of light you need depends not on the number of plants you have but the square footage of floor-space where they will grow. 12,000lumens is a good starting level of minimum light that will cover a 2'x2' space. The best rule of thumb for solid results is 3000 lumens per sqft for veg and 5000 lumens per sqft for flowering. When they are seedlings they don't need all this light(you could get away with 4-6 high watt daylight(5500-6500K) bulbs for starting them off, but as they grow, their light needs grow exponentially, and they will need the light energy of a T5HO or an HID.

I would suggest looking not at HD but on EBAY for "plant lighting", you can look at just about any of the online hydro-stores. Many of them sell T5HO lights. These are the best lighting for vegging IMO. You can buy multi-bulb fixtures or single bulb fixtures for pretty cheap. Then save yer money and buy a small HPS light for flowering. You can get a 250w HPS/MH kit for around $140.00 that will carry you through to harvest. With that you can use the MH for veg, and then the HPS for flower as the kit includes both bulbs. This would cover a small closet or cabinet grow with 6sqft of space. :)

Yeah LEDs just aren't worth the money for the ones that work decent, and the ones that are cheap enough are crap. I personally recommend looking up YESCOMUSA on EBAY and get one of their light kits, or check out the Floros on EBAY. I didn't mention CFL because while a few of them are ok for early veg, it takes so many more for providing the amount of lumens for later veg.

Yea I would definitely stay away from the LED as well. If you can't afford the HPS/MH right now I would recommend a T5HO to veg., but at the end of the day to make all of your efforts worth while an HPS is the way to go.

First off germination, second single seed a pot, soil less mix is a good first timer media, no nutes till 3 sets of leaves, my first grow I used recipe for success nutes that is awesome stuff easy chart to use, 2 weeks under flourecents, 2 weeks under MH, then swith light 12/12 with HPS average 8 weeks I do 6 plant under 600 watt hid switchable simple with grt results

BudMan101 said:
All that for just one plant?

No. I am not a big fan of MH lighting. I have several MH lights I do not even use anymore, preferring T5s for vegging. I think you need to veg for more than 4 weeks as the plant is not mature at 4 weeks. You really need to plant more seeds--you could get a male. One seed per pot.

Let's start at the beginning. First, you really need to do some reading so YOU have some idea of what this plant requires to make it to harvest. We can help you with particulars, but you do need to learn the basics for yourself. For instance, we never recommend using prenuted soil....ever. You do not know what you are feeding your plant and you do not know how much as nutes are released with every watering--not a good thing.

You are going to have to find a space to set up your grow and you are going to have to decide how much you can spend on this project. Remember that you are attempting to produce a product that sells for $300 or so an ounce. You are NOT going to be able to do it with 2 CFL light bulbs--if it was that easy, everybody would be doing it. It is going to take an investment of time, study, effort, commitment, money and love. There are ways to cut costs, but there are basic requirements that the plant needs and the number 1 thing that is going to affect yield is your light. Unless you want to spend 4-5 months for a fraction of an ounce, you are going to have to get adequate lighting.

Latest posts

Back