questions about boxing my fan to keep it quiet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawhse

Growing for Me
Reaction score
Morning MP family :ciao: right before the crash someone posted how they boxed there fan to cut down the noise. Could you post again pleaseeeee.....its just to noisy :doh: thanks in advance...

idk what you mean by boxing in a fan but it sounds sweet....i feel like mine could use a good boxing in as well. they seem to get louder every grow

Its was 18"x 18" (for 6" fan) mdf and soundboard(screwed) or eggfoam(stapled) to the mdf. Drill holes in ends and screw together to make a box. Leave on side open, put fan in and mark vent holes. Cut out and install flanges. Cut out 1.5" electrical cord hole. Fan goes back in and is screwed in one side directly to flange. Other side gets synced up with small piece of ducting between flanges. Last board gets screwed on. Should be really snug. Thats it. Whatever size insulated ducting on outside.

here's one:
P4260074.JPG

I use some left over carpet padding. My intake and exhaust are on the top of the box. Air from cabinet blows over the uv-c light then exits through the duct on the upper left. I think mine is a sixteen inch cube.

nouvellechef said:
Its was 18"x 18" (for 6" fan) mdf and soundboard(screwed) or eggfoam(stapled) to the mdf. Drill holes in ends and screw together to make a box. Leave on side open, put fan in and mark vent holes. Cut out and install flanges. Cut out 1.5" electrical cord hole. Fan goes back in and is screwed in one side directly to flange. Other side gets synced up with small piece of ducting between flanges. Last board gets screwed on. Should be really snug. Thats it. Whatever size insulated ducting on outside.
awesome thanks nc...i didnt know if the fan sat in the middle of box...now i know...off to lowes..:48:

Thanks screwdriver, looks good! time to build

sawhse said:
awesome thanks nc...i didnt know if the fan sat in the middle of box...now i know...off to lowes..:48:

Thanks screwdriver, looks good! time to build

Yes it does sit in pretty much the middle. Little offset to drill the flanges together on one side with those metal screws. Put a piece of mdf at bottom and screw it down. Fan sits on top of that. I found it goes in perfectly snug for height that way.

Latest posts

Back