Questions about RSO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys! Perhaps ya'll need to get together and smoke some! I didn't mean to start an argument!!! FYI, Rick Simson didn't use year, until he was evaporating the solution. I'm that part is pretty much standard no matter how you get to that point. It's during the initial soaking, and perhaps 2nd soaking (some folks call it rinsing). I'm familiar with using getting the buds cold for making hash. As I've done it before.

I'm already planning on deviating from Rick's original method by using grain alcohol rather than rubbing alcohol. I can't wrap my brain around smoking something like rubbing alcohol. Then there was that one time someone convinced me to try wiki (weed soaked in embalming fluid then dried). That was not a good day!

There are two variables that I'm questioning. I'm hoping when the resident guru (Greywolf) appears he can help clarify some of this up for me. As I mentioned in my original post, Rick said to do the first soak/rinse for about 15 minutes. Of the many interests and hobbies I have, one of them is cooking and making stuff from scratch. So much so I've about $300 invested in imported vanilla beans I had imported from Madagascar, Tunisia and I can't remember the last place. I've got some soaking in Greygoose vodka, and some soaking in brandy. Although you can use it much sooner, you're supposed to let this set for 6-12 months!!!! And we've got folks on YouTube advocating soaking the flower material for less than five minutes???? I'm not suggesting we soak the flower material that long. When I made my own Absinthe, I soaked the macerated herbs for 30 days before redistilling. The bottom line is this. How long is long enough to know you've removed all the "good stuff" from the vegetation portion of the plant?

Heat... As I've mentioned before, I seen how folks recover extra "oil" from discarded vapes by soaking in alcohol, then mildly heating it until the alcohol evaporates. I'm thinking, would the use of heat (say 120F) help aid striping the good stuff from the plant material faster?
This is How I made my 1st wash for making Tintures
Same as removing almost all from your Herb using any other solvent .
All credit goes to PsychedelicSam the man who taught me.

Green/Gold Dragon Recipe
:hello:

DECARBOXYLATION:

Bake 7g herbs @ 240F for 40 minutes. New data If using seeded pot, cleaned weight should equal 7 grams.

FREEZE:
Place the decarbed 7g herbs in sealed Mason jar into the freezer for 24 hours.
Also place a pint of Everclear or other 190+ proof alcohol in freezer for 24 hours.
After 24 hours add 90ml/3fl oz to a Mason jar with herbals. Shake aggressively for 5 minutes.
Place back in freezer for 2 hours and then shake again for another 5 minutes.

1. Using a mesh coffee filter or cheesecloth, clean t-shirt, pantyhose or other fine weave, clean material, place in or line a funnel and pour the solution through it into a clean container and press using a silicone spatula or other utensil. Place the pressed plant material back into the jar for a rinse with fresh, cold alcohol. The jar of material does not have to go back into the freezer. After straining through the initial filter, set it aside until the 2nd run, the rinse, is complete.

2). The 2nd run can be done with no further waiting since it is only a rinse but my test studies have shown that you increase your potency by 25-30%. Using 3fl oz of fresh, freezing cold alcohol, pour it into the jar of material and shake for five minutes. Strain your material as well as possible then add the alcohol solution to the first run solution.

If you don't have a mesh coffee filter or a way to press it, place a square of cheesecloth or other material over your fresh container, being sure to allow enough on each side to fold over the ball. After you've strained the weed, you can dispose of the leftovers as you see fit. If you don't have a press, cut the cheesecloth large enough so that you can pull the corners together and use a wooden spoon handle to wrap them around and then twist. You don't have to squeeze like crazy because the alcohol drains well.

3. Place a paper coffee filter in a funnel or other setup. There are examples in the video and picture guides. Pour your solution into the filter until it's full. Keep filling it until it all filters through. You might have to move the filter around to find fresh spots in the filters. Those husks really gum it up but it's worth the time. You'll get a nice clear Green/Gold Dragon. Of course, you can always filter it again if you're a perfectionist.

REDUCE

Now we're ready for the main event, concentrating the extraction by reduction of the alcohol.

1. Set up your double boiler configuration away from flame or other open heat sources. Use a fan for ventilation. If using an electric range, be sure your vent fan is on high. The more ventilation the better. While there won't be the concentration of vapors there would be for larger quantities, there's still enough to cause a flash fire if not careful.

2. Have the heat source for your double boilers at a level that causes a gentle boil in the water. If you're using a crockpot where the water may not boil, just put it as high as you can. If you use an electric rice cooker that only has one temperature, just keep an eye on it so it doesn't go beyond the desired level. If you don't have a double boiler set up, air evaporation will work, just slower

* If at all possible, your upper chamber(bowl) of the double bowler should fit snuggly in the lower portion a few inches above the water line. This is to prevent loss of steam and therefore water. If it's a loose fit, keep an eye on the water level and add more as needed.

3. Measure your combined haul from both runs. If you don't have a measuring device, you can mark a spot halfway down your jar and use that as your guide. As your tincture reduces, you can keep track of the level easier.

4. Add your dilute GD to the upper chamber/water bath and reduce it by half of the recovered volume. Up to 1/2 ounce will be lost with each run due to absorption and loss. Alcohol boils at a much lower temperature than water and thus will not damage the thc. Depending on your heat source, your solution may bubble a little bit, a rolling boil, or just swirls. What you want at minimum are the swirls. That shows there is action.

5. Finally, this recipe is designed to give you approximately 3 fluid ounces of concentrated Green/Gold Dragon tincture. So for the last step, reduce your solution by half, or down to your goal volume, which should be about 3 fl.oz for this size batch for beginners and bottle it. It is now officially ready to sample. There is a reduction guide for potency level a little further along.

And there you have it. I've tried to make the actual steps as simple yet concise as possible. And as stated previously, this recipe is pretty much designed for the novice, the beginner. It does not require a lot of marijuana that could be lost, anything is possible so it could happen. I don't advocate making this or any other cannabis product for the first time with your emergency stash. You don't have to have expensive pot or even buds. I want everyone to be comfortable within themselves with trying this.

Edit: Along the way between this written guide and the video I changed the final reduction from 3oz to 2oz. This increases the strength by about 1/3. When I originally wrote this the only edibles and tinctures were the DIY variety which naturally limited potency levels and just about everyone was a beginner. Once dispensaries started to spread with access to higher concentrated products, those coming to use this guide were wanting, and needing, higher strength products. So, we now reduce to 2oz from this 7g guide instead of 3oz.

I also Must add That I believe PSam use to read GW Graywolf lair Lab pages and may even know him. My memory escapes me at the moment. Both their methods are similar in nature.

Latest posts

Back