Quick light setup question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb247

JuztBudz
Reaction score
I am thinking of putting some of those new spiral florescents in my veg room and would like some comments on my idea:

Would using a styrofoam box, like a shipping box about 1'x2', that is normally used to ship frozen foods, or medical supplies be okay. I thought I could put 4-100 watt bulbs in a box that size and build a small light for my babies. I don't think that will overheat the box at all, any chance of some sort of out-gassing problem from the styrofoam? I would put a piece of plastic at the top of the box on the outside to ensure that the lighting stays in place and just run the lights in parallel wireing. Anyone foresee any type of problem with this set up? I can make one of these really inexpensive, using hardware that I already have and just buying some basic ceiling fixtures and bulbs from dePot, making the overall cost about $15. Any input will be greatly appreciated...

Peace...j.b.

IMO, styrofoam + heat = nasty gas. CFOs don't put out much heat, but they do generate some. try holding a hair dryer on low or med heat up to the styrofoam and see if you can smell anything...

These kind of things scare the hell outa me.
Something not flammable like cardboard or styrofoam.
You can shop around thrift stores, Salvation army, yard sales, and get something dirt cheap you can modify. Everything else sound great. but anything that can burn/melt easily is not good. IMHO

Latest posts

Back