Quick question please :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EsC420PoT

Hydro Indoor Grower
Reaction score
I know this is a noob question, but I never really asked or realized if it made a difference or not. Anyways, I'v always used a smaller sized cmf fan from intake (compared to the exhaust) to intake fresh air from outside my window into my grow room. But, im starting to think that having the fresh air from the window isn't necessary since i havn't heard to many people doing that. I'v realized that most ppl are only exhausting out a window ( or some other exhaust vent) but having the intake from just another room in the house? Is this efficient? Because i'd much rather just have my intake fan blow air from one of my other rooms into my grow room, rather then it hanging out side my window looking obvious. (since i already have a hard time stealthing my exhaust) So would this still be efficient and a good idea? Cause so far i'm pushing and pulling air from outside my 1 window..

Air from inside your house is fine, maybe better even since it's already conditioned.

It really depends on yer setup. If yu are isolating yer air to cool lights and venting yer grow space seperately then it will depend on the size and type of lights yer using. I have 2 600w hps in sealed reflectors and I have two fans moving the air as they get hot and I am constantly trying to balance temps in my room. I don't actively move air in my grow rooms as I am in n out so much and spend so much time with them that I feel like I recycle their air decently enough. However, on a smaller grow that I am starting with just one 400w hps and several T5s for veg, I intend to pull air actively from the grow room thru the light (cool tube) and exaust "inconspicuously", but use passive air inlet into the grow room from a cool place. I think pulling air from the house into yer grow space would give yer plants plenty of CO2 and comfortable temps, but if yu are using a lot of heat generating lights yu may have a hard time cooling them. I know a lot of people actively exaust into their attics and passively pull from within for smaller grows. The best thing to do is try pulling from within (if yer lighting is relatively small) and see how well it cools. shouldn't take more than a couple of days to tell. Good luck:)

Well i got a 1k watt in a 6x3 for 6 plants. So i always have heating probs. But as usual it fluxuates...

I would pull the fresh air from the coolest spot. The cooler the air intering the grow area the better it will keep everything in the growing area cooler.

If you pushing and pulling from same venting area, that is not set up correctly. Since you own you townhome. Cut a hole in the ceiling and only use a single exhaust fan. A CAP 440cfm fan will easily kool that light and exchange air. I am still battling cold temps, running 2, 1k's with a single 440cfm exhaust. Summer you put window AC in. Bigger the better. Don't go cheap. GL

I do things slightly differently to what Chef suggested.
I have both my 600s in cool tubes connected to a large fan and my carbon filter which exhaust out of a window.
This is where my set up is different, I have a second fan to bring in cool fresh air from the crawl space between the bedrrom floor of my growroom and the cieling underneath via a hole in a the floor of a built in closet.

The beauty of this setup is that in summer, it is cool air, in winter, it is warmer than the outside air. I prefer this to drawing air from the cieling as my house is semi detatched and I dont want any posability of smells getting into the loft space even though it is not shared.

Just another option for you Esc and fixing a bit of floorboard inside a closet is easier than fixing a hole in a ceiling lol. JMO.
Peace W

nouvellechef said:
If you pushing and pulling from same venting area, that is not set up correctly. GL

no chef, im not venting and pulling from the same area. I am pushing out 1 side of my window, and pulling from the complete other end of the window, and the exhaust is placed much higher.

woodydude said:
I do things slightly differently to what Chef suggested.
I have both my 600s in cool tubes connected to a large fan and my carbon filter which exhaust out of a window.
This is where my set up is different, I have a second fan to bring in cool fresh air from the crawl space between the bedrrom floor of my growroom and the cieling underneath via a hole in a the floor of a built in closet.

The beauty of this setup is that in summer, it is cool air, in winter, it is warmer than the outside air. I prefer this to drawing air from the cieling as my house is semi detatched and I dont want any posability of smells getting into the loft space even though it is not shared.

Just another option for you Esc and fixing a bit of floorboard inside a closet is easier than fixing a hole in a ceiling lol. JMO.
Peace W

thanks, ya, if i were to cut any holes, it'd most likely be in the ceiling. But, I don't want to cut any holes since i plan on renting this place out in about 6 months, and don't wanna have to patch all that crap up. Appriciate the advice tho.

So would it be best for me to have 2 exausts then? but the second one, not even enter the grow room air, like have the tube go in from the top and connect to my 1k watt (air cooled hood) and just have it go straight out the window? to just take the heat off the bulb? And then have my main exhaust hooked to my filter and then exhausting the air from within the grow room, then have a smaller cmf fan to push fresh air from the empty room next to this one? Will this be efficient?

EsC420PoT said:
no chef, im not venting and pulling from the same area. I am pushing out 1 side of my window, and pulling from the complete other end of the window, and the exhaust is placed much higher.

thanks, ya, if i were to cut any holes, it'd most likely be in the ceiling. But, I don't want to cut any holes since i plan on renting this place out in about 6 months, and don't wanna have to patch all that crap up. Appriciate the advice tho.

So would it be best for me to have 2 exausts then? but the second one, not even enter the grow room air, like have the tube go in from the top and connect to my 1k watt (air cooled hood) and just have it go straight out the window? to just take the heat off the bulb? And then have my main exhaust hooked to my filter and then exhausting the air from within the grow room, then have a smaller cmf fan to push fresh air from the empty room next to this one? Will this be efficient?
Yeah, IME, yu really want to isolate the air going to the light (especially a 1kwatt) so that yu can pull fresh n cool air to it and directly remove the warmer air from it. If yer ballast is in yer grow room, yu'll want to remove it from the room if possible as they put off quite a bit of heat. I actually have a fan blowing on my ballasts and a squirrel cage fan pulling that air into the next room which has an air conditioner that pushes cooler air back into the room. A small 5k BTU window unit like NC said would work very nice for cooling yer grow space,(very cheap right now) and it would cover any fan noise from yer window. Yu could actually rig up a cycling system strictly for the light that should cool it nicely.:) :)

Hushpuppy said:
Yeah, IME, yu really want to isolate the air going to the light (especially a 1kwatt) so that yu can pull fresh n cool air to it and directly remove the warmer air from it. If yer ballast is in yer grow room, yu'll want to remove it from the room if possible as they put off quite a bit of heat. I actually have a fan blowing on my ballasts and a squirrel cage fan pulling that air into the next room which has an air conditioner that pushes cooler air back into the room. A small 5k BTU window unit like NC said would work very nice for cooling yer grow space,(very cheap right now) and it would cover any fan noise from yer window. Yu could actually rig up a cycling system strictly for the light that should cool it nicely.:) :)

thanks hush. what is a cycling system? And i actually did have an AC unit in my window to blame the sound of the fans on and to cool things down if needed. But i have HOA, wich means they can can tell me how my house on the outside has to look. And they said a AC unit in the window was an eyesore, actually had a thread not to long ago about it. But ya.... I'm kinda screwed with the AC thing. So, my only options are to push and pull air to cool. But while staying stealthed from my window lol.

Oh that sucks about the HOA. I hope they aren't eyeing yer house for more "infractions" and see the exaust hoses...What I mean by a cycling system is just rigging up a hose with an intake fan directly in front of the AC that goes strait to the light then back to the intake of the AC so that yer using a controlled air source to cool the light. However, since yu can't use a window unit, that is out of the question, without some elaborate "disconnected" system that could be routed to the outside...I wonder if it would be enough to run yer internal AC system for the house a little cooler, and pull the air from within the house thru the light then exaust it out the window so that yu only have the one air hose exposed. If yer house is really tight, yu could open a window just a bit on the other side of the house. this would allow the air to be cooled by the house system b4 going into the light, also would cycle the grow room air. There are several types of filters that yu can use on yer exaust to eliminate the smell

My 2 cents.

I run a 1kw hps in a sealed housing. Air is sucked through the light into the attic where the can fan is mounted, then out through a typical louvered vent like what my bathroom fans use. My fan is small at 4" (170cfm) and pulls/pushes through about 30ft of 4" ducting however, my room temps have yet to exceed 76*f to this point (about 7 weeks of 1kw). I allow air to enter the room passively from the house and it actually does very well as the negative pressure keeps the smell out of the rest of the house nicely. You can walk right by the door of the spare bedroom that I grow in and not notice anything. The only time I smell anything is if i open the ac register in the room and allow it to blow air in. The outside vent is about 15ft high, I live in the country, and grow legally so the exhaust smell is of little concern to me at this time and I have yet to notice it.

Hushpuppy said:
Oh that sucks about the HOA. I hope they aren't eyeing yer house for more "infractions" and see the exaust hoses...What I mean by a cycling system is just rigging up a hose with an intake fan directly in front of the AC that goes strait to the light then back to the intake of the AC so that yer using a controlled air source to cool the light. However, since yu can't use a window unit, that is out of the question, without some elaborate "disconnected" system that could be routed to the outside...I wonder if it would be enough to run yer internal AC system for the house a little cooler, and pull the air from within the house thru the light then exaust it out the window so that yu only have the one air hose exposed. If yer house is really tight, yu could open a window just a bit on the other side of the house. this would allow the air to be cooled by the house system b4 going into the light, also would cycle the grow room air. There are several types of filters that yu can use on yer exaust to eliminate the smell

wow! i never even thought of doing that. And ya HOA is **! But, i can work around em ;) But ya, unless i do your idea of using the AC or the AC from my house and somehow transfer it to my grow room, im stuck pushing and pulling just plain house and outdoor air...

kiksroks said:
My 2 cents.

I run a 1kw hps in a sealed housing. Air is sucked through the light into the attic where the can fan is mounted, then out through a typical louvered vent like what my bathroom fans use. My fan is small at 4" (170cfm) and pulls/pushes through about 30ft of 4" ducting however, my room temps have yet to exceed 76*f to this point (about 7 weeks of 1kw). I allow air to enter the room passively from the house and it actually does very well as the negative pressure keeps the smell out of the rest of the house nicely. You can walk right by the door of the spare bedroom that I grow in and not notice anything. The only time I smell anything is if i open the ac register in the room and allow it to blow air in. The outside vent is about 15ft high, I live in the country, and grow legally so the exhaust smell is of little concern to me at this time and I have yet to notice it.

Damn! And hear i was thinking like 10 ft. of 6'' ducting would reduce my air flow lol! But damn dude! I'm very suprised that you kept it in good temps. Do you live in a cold area? But ya ill just increase the airflow for now untill i can find something better.

Thanks allot guys, ill keep yall updated if this work out for me or not.

EsC420PoT said:
Damn! And hear i was thinking like 10 ft. of 6'' ducting would reduce my air flow lol! But damn dude! I'm very suprised that you kept it in good temps. Do you live in a cold area? But ya ill just increase the airflow for now untill i can find something better.

Thanks allot guys, ill keep yall updated if this work out for me or not.

My ducting runs through the attic over another bedroom all the way to the exhaust vent so ~30 ft. I actually live in a warmer area, central Cali. I run the light 7pm to 7am. I have not attempted to grow in the summer time, yet, but I have a feeling it would be way too hot as high temps average nearly 100*, nice and dry though. 76* is about what the high temps have been lately with lows in the 50s. But allowing the house air to feed the grow room works as my house is typically never above 74* and gets below 70 at night. I also assume the air inside my house is dryer (rh) than outside. I have the fan on a timer but have been running it 24/7 to keep the smells from backing up into the house. First time I haven't had my home stinking with a grow 40 days in flower. The blue cheese is fairly funky too. . .

I will be upgrading the fan before I do another grow and I will use the existing fan/ducting for a 4x2 veg tent with t-5 lighting.

Latest posts

Back