quick sexing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtsmoke

Reaction score
hi everybody.

i have 13 plants going rite now.i have 5 in there 3 gallon pots,and the other 8 in smaller pots.i whould like to get all my plants in the 3 gallon pots.they are all 3weeks old and 5 inches tall.

i whould like to know if i can turn my lights to 12/12 to get the males to show there sex.and when i can get the males out can i change back to 18/6?

thanks smoke

hey sarge'..."that" is one way of doing it...not the method usually preferred by experienced growers, as it tends to add some stress, but it will work.

Not to disagree with anyone but that is a horrible idea. I read somewhere on this site that when you switch between 12/12, and what ever light schedule you use for veg, that it will mess with the integrity of the plant and when you go to clone it, it may not be the same exact genetic replica of what you had. Plus it adds stress and will slow down your grow. What you need to do is take one or two clones from each plant and when those clones take root sex them with a 12/12 cycle. You should be able to tell what sex they are after about two-three weeks. Just be sure to mark the plants and the clones so that you know what came from what, that way when you find those males you can trace it back to its' mother plant and throw it out. This way there is very little stress on the plants and you don't chance an accidental polination, which sucks after you've gone this far.

I dunno what is right, but my last grow, I took some clones during flower then changed them back to 24, then went to 18/6 then back to flower again.

The clones made it but the bud on them was definitely longer, rangier and not as full/nuggety as my 'mother bud'. I was not sure that was a property of clones or what I put them through. The quality was equal.

I don't think you can alter sex once it's been set. While the clones may not be as good or different they will stay the same.

Zarnon said:
I dunno what is right, but my last grow, I took some clones during flower then changed them back to 24, then went to 18/6 then back to flower again.

The clones made it but the bud on them was definitely longer, rangier and not as full/nuggety as my 'mother bud'. I was not sure that was a property of clones or what I put them through. The quality was equal.

I don't think you can alter sex once it's been set. While the clones may not be as good or different they will stay the same.

f up your light cycle everyday and you'll sing a different tune =)
after week 3-4 everything is supposed to be set from then on... I've only had plants as male or hermie from seed only... NEVER from a originally female cutting... i think the stress would have to be huge for that to happen... but we'll know soon... i have some questionable plants in my hydro grow that were gone to hell.. but i thought i'd grow them out to see about the whole stress sex change bit.

thanks guys for all the input.i dont want to stress my plants,i love my babies and want them to be happy.i cant cut clones yet they are still pretty young and there is no shoots to clone yet.so ill just wait and let nature take its course.i was hopeing to speed things up a bit.

sgtsmoke said:
thanks guys for all the input.i dont want to stress my plants,i love my babies and want them to be happy.i cant cut clones yet they are still pretty young and there is no shoots to clone yet.so ill just wait and let nature take its course.i was hopeing to speed things up a bit.

Only things that speed up growing is more lumens and 24/0 lighting.

Latest posts

Back