Quick soil/nat question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tact

Learning Everyday
Reaction score
Hey guys, working on my second grow now and it has been a while. I have a few variables I just wanted to bounce off the community. My last grow was winter, and this was nice in some ways like ambient heat+light heat, and no bugs in general as it was freezing outside.

So now this grow it is warm. I noticed some gnats flying around my veg tent and I had a few questions. I am using the left over (unopened) soil that I purchased at the same time as my last grow which was 5 years ago, Fox Farms Ocean Forest.

1) Is soil that old still "viable" or should I just go get new soil before I transfer the babies into a larger pot

2) If I left soil outside in pots over a few days, it rained a couple, should I not even use that soil as it will be rife with bugs?

3) the gnats, should I just put out a fly strip, maybe some DEarth across the top upon transfer to a larger pot? EDIT: I just went down and checked the tent, I only see two'ish gnats, could be more once my eyes adjust.

I don't know if they are fungus gnats or regular gnats or what.

Thank you!

If it were me, i would use the soil, put the DE on top. I might add SNS 209 for any critters you are worried about. It will take care of fungus gnats.
1. use it

2. see #1 lol

3. see above... Good luck, you have a handle on this, your just a bit rusty. It will be fine.

If it were me, i would use the soil, put the DE on top. I might add SNS 209 for any critters you are worried about. It will take care of fungus gnats.
1. use it

2. see #1 lol

3. see above... Good luck, you have a handle on this, your just a bit rusty. It will be fine.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back