Quick ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigweedo

Reaction score
So my babies are a month old today. Some have 3-4 sets of nodes, some just have 2. I have two questions:
1. They need to be transplanted. Do I keep them in the same soil (seed starter) and just keep fertilizing?
2. The bottom set of leaves, i forgot what they are called, are pretty much yellow on every plant. (the leaves that first sprouted) Do i need to feed more?

Hopefully you guys can help!
Thanks,
Bigweedo

Yeah they are definately ready to transplant. Use a good potting soil like Fox Farms or Miracle Grow. The cotolydes are the leafs that are turning yellow and they will yellow and fall off.

Thanks for the reply. So you would reccomend miracle grow? I heard it was bad for plants, or is that just when they are very young? Are there any good soils worth buying at homedepot or lowes? Should I keep feeding them with this fish emulsion?

i was havin bad conception about miracle gro but lookin at SB and TBG grow its work like any other soil

1. They need to be transplanted. Do I keep them in the same soil (seed starter) and just keep fertilizing?
Becarefull taking it out of the pot try not to damage the roots as much as you can.Have another pot ready to go FIRST with NEW soil,then take your plant and try and take away some of the dirt around your roots,then place into the new pot.dont pack the dirt to tight but tight enough,cause when you water the soil will **** in and tightn up around your roots just nice.

2. The bottom set of leaves, i forgot what they are called, are pretty much yellow on every plant. (the leaves that first sprouted) Do i need to feed more?
they are called your round leaves,they do turn yellow and fall off,it dont mean to feed more or less.They are used energy and are falling off.IMHO i used MG and i didnt like it,my ladys didnt like it.But if you do use MG,DONT use any other nutes with it.But there are plenty of members on here that use MG and have GREAT out comes.Do a search on The Brothers Grunt and look and some of his post.He uses MG and has nothing but Great out comes.Also for your first question when you transplant put the soil all the way up to where the round leaves where.Good luck on your grow!!!:farm:

Hey Big. I didn't use MG for my plants, I used Fox Farms. However if you look at The Brothers Grunt grow journal and his bud pics, it's hard to say that MG doesn't work really well. I suspect that light and environment have more to do with overall grow outcome then does the dirt. Just get those babies transplanted and remember to give them plenty of space to grow. At least 3 gallons (10" pot) and terra cotta works best for moisture control. How much longer are you going to veg them before you put them to 12/12 lighting? Also, tell us more about your grow. How many plants, why types when did you start them, lighting, etc.

Thanks for all the help guys. I have 9 bagseed plants under a 4 foot flour with two 40 watt bulbs. I transplanted them yesterday into some 8 inch pots (i realized they were 8 and should have been 10 when they were already transplanted) into fox farms forrest mix. I still have the fish emulsion, should I keep on using that for ferts until I start to put them under 12/12? Also i think i want a 400 watt hps, what do you guys think?

How big is your grow area? 5000 lumens per square foot for flowering is the minimum. 400 watt HPS is good for a 3x3 room (for flowering). 80 watts for 9 plants is not enough light to get some nice bushy plants. You need more light to max out there potential.

I have about a 3x3 area in my closet as you can see in the picture. What should I be doing on the nutrient subject? Fish emulsion still?

DSCF0645.JPG

DSCF0646.JPG

DSCF0647.JPG

DSCF0648.JPG

DSCF0649.JPG

your gonna want to go easy on the nutes. you dont need it eveytime you water. also you might want to drop the lights a little. keep then light 2-3 inches above the plants.

the yellowing might becasue the ph is off and they cannot take in any nutes.

So what would be the best way to test the PH and see if i need to change it? How would I change the PH anyways?

You adjust the ph with the water you give the plants. The yellowing could also be from too much fertilizer. These plants don't need alot. Especially this young. If you are going to give them nutes do it lightly, 1/3 strength and use something with a higher nitrogen number. I'm using Flora Nova and it is 7-4-10.

As for lighting that is a personal preference. HID is hot and you are going to have to have very good ventilation if that's what you go with. It is definately the easiest. One light to buy and you get 50,000 lumens. Flourescent works well also, but you need a lot more of them for flowering. Most people seem to go with the HPS for flowering, but there are a few that like flourescent. It's up to you, but you better do something pretty soon. When those girls are ready to move to 12/12 you are going to need alot more light and an airtight space with good ventilation.

Thanks for all the replys and yes i am using a 4 foot 2 bulb flour set up. So should i test the ph and what not?? I am kinda stuck at the moment. I haven't used any nutes since the transplant and my plants seem like they are slowing down from nute lock. Would a 250 watt hps be better in my situation?

go to ebay and type in ph meter.

just lay off the nutes and see how things go.

:) Im using MG soil too. I was wondering then is it ok to go light on some Fox Farm Grow Big nutes with the miracle grow soil. My plants are about 7 inches tall. Are they big enough to take all of those nutes?

\
Later:cool:

mg soil shoulnt have any nutes used in it for at least 3-4 weeks.

bigweedo said:
Thanks for all the replys and yes i am using a 4 foot 2 bulb flour set up. So should i test the ph and what not?? I am kinda stuck at the moment. I haven't used any nutes since the transplant and my plants seem like they are slowing down from nute lock. Would a 250 watt hps be better in my situation?

Hey Big. More light would definately be good for your plants. I don't think your problem is nutrient, but I'm as much a newbie as you are. It doesn't seem like MJ needs much during veg stage except good dirt, good water that is PH balanced and plenty of light.

You might consider getting another 4' shop light and mixing up the light bulbs. Look on the package for color temperature and get 2 bulbs with 6,500K and 2 bulbs with 3,000K or 2,700K. Then get the tubes right on top of the plants within 2".

For watering try using lake water or rain water if you can.

For flowering 250HPS would be great.

Latest posts

Back