Radon in well water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoseyWales

I reckon so.
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of buying another house so I wanted the well pump tested and the quality of the water too. To my surprise the test results showed Radon at 207,000 pCi/L, the Mass DEP has a high of 10,000 pCi/L, that's huge. The basement had a .05 level of Radon. For thirty years these people have been radiating them selves every time they showered or boiled a pot of water on the stove. Folks if you have well water I would have it tested.

I'm in the middle of buying another house so I wanted the well pump tested and the quality of the water too. To my surprise the test results showed Radon at 207,000 pCi/L, the Mass DEP has a high of 10,000 pCi/L, that's huge. The basement had a .05 level of Radon. For thirty years these people have been radiating them selves every time they showered or boiled a pot of water on the stove. Folks if you have well water I would have it tested.
Sounds like a good time to pull out of that deal. The seller is screwed. They will know about the results so they either need to disclose that or they need to pull their entire disclosure statement. My wife does real estate here in MA and the amount of properties on the market without a disclosure statement is unbelievably high these days and many buyers were foregoing inspections just to get their offer accepted. The market is still a sellers market but the tide is turning. Primo listings are still selling quickly but she says properties that deals fell thru on so they are relisted is unheard of. There is a lot of garbage out there these days.

Sounds like a good time to pull out of that deal. The seller is screwed. They will know about the results so they either need to disclose that or they need to pull their entire disclosure statement. My wife does real estate here in MA and the amount of properties on the market without a disclosure statement is unbelievably high these days and many buyers were foregoing inspections just to get their offer accepted. The market is still a sellers market but the tide is turning. Primo listings are still selling quickly but she says properties that deals fell thru on so they are relisted is unheard of. There is a lot of garbage out there these days.
I'm gonna hang around for a while, if I can find a mittigation for the Radon I'm gonna. I first want to retest with another lab, If those results are much lower I'm gonna get a third test to make sure I can discard the first. Trying to get ahold of the board of health in the town to see what the norm is in the region, this person is at a team seminar today. If once reported to the town I don't know how they can walk away with this number. Even the Lab who conducted this test after talking with them today re-ran the same sample twice. More to come. Just glowing in the dark in the northeast.

I'm gonna hang around for a while, if I can find a mittigation for the Radon I'm gonna. I first want to retest with another lab, If those results are much lower I'm gonna get a third test to make sure I can discard the first. Trying to get ahold of the board of health in the town to see what the norm is in the region, this person is at a team seminar today. If once reported to the town I don't know how they can walk away with this number. Even the Lab who conducted this test after talking with them today re-ran the same sample twice. More to come. Just glowing in the dark in the northeast.
You should be able to check the towns website. I just checked my town because I am in a ‘red zone’.
A752F66F-C2D0-429D-94C2-2C3306A313E3.jpeg

At the beginning of the 20th century, Radium was thought to have beneficial health properties and was often added to consumer products such as toothpaste, hair creams, and even food. Radium was also used until the early 1970s in ”glow-in-the-dark” paints, e.g., for dials on clocks, and in other industrial applications such as instrument calibration. Radium was even used in medical applications during the 20th century.:oops:

Everyone is exposed to low levels of Radium because it occurs naturally in the environment. It is present in soil, water, rocks, coal, plants, and even food. High levels of Radium are typically found in waste from former Radium processing and manufacturing facilities, or at former manufacturing facilities that used Radium and have been improperly cleaned. You may be exposed to higher levels of Radium if you work in a specific job using these materials.

It is important to note that radon, a byproduct of Radium, can be present in buildings, particularly in basements. The majority of radon exposures in buildings are from radon coming up from the ground.
The presence of Radium does not mean that adverse health effects are occurring or could occur. Low levels of exposure to Radium are normal, and there is no evidence that exposure to low levels is harmful. The potential for health effects depends on several factors including the amount of Radium present, amount of time spent near contamination, proximity to the source of radiation, and whether any shielding (e.g., concrete or lead that blocks radiation) is in place.

be careful someone had that at their house and their winky fell off

At the beginning of the 20th century, Radium was thought to have beneficial health properties and was often added to consumer products such as toothpaste, hair creams, and even food. Radium was also used until the early 1970s in ”glow-in-the-dark” paints, e.g., for dials on clocks, and in other industrial applications such as instrument calibration. Radium was even used in medical applications during the 20th century.:oops:

Everyone is exposed to low levels of Radium because it occurs naturally in the environment. It is present in soil, water, rocks, coal, plants, and even food. High levels of Radium are typically found in waste from former Radium processing and manufacturing facilities, or at former manufacturing facilities that used Radium and have been improperly cleaned. You may be exposed to higher levels of Radium if you work in a specific job using these materials.

It is important to note that radon, a byproduct of Radium, can be present in buildings, particularly in basements. The majority of radon exposures in buildings are from radon coming up from the ground.
The presence of Radium does not mean that adverse health effects are occurring or could occur. Low levels of exposure to Radium are normal, and there is no evidence that exposure to low levels is harmful. The potential for health effects depends on several factors including the amount of Radium present, amount of time spent near contamination, proximity to the source of radiation, and whether any shielding (e.g., concrete or lead that blocks radiation) is in place.
Thanks Hopper I get it, according to EPA guidelines 207,000 pCi/l = 21 pCi/l in the air once aerated + the .04 from the basement comes out to be a little over 5 times the the EPA limit. What I need to know is if this number is consistent with the area and does airation mitigation works.

Latest posts

Back