Radon in well water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not something that i would want on my property.
I can assure you you do. We all have radon gas, it comes from the ground. You can have varying amounts, but you will get some, it's naturally occurring. I've known two people with lung cancer that never smoked a cig in their life. I keep meaning to have my house checked. If you test high, it can be abated, never heard of it being in the water, but it stands to reason. I guess all well using folks should check that. Can it be abated from the water?

Bubba

I guess Texas has a low radon levels.

radon-zones-epa-map.jpg

How do they abate Radon gas from under a slab floor?
Several houses in my neighborhood have abatement systems installed. I think it is similar to the exhaust fans we put on grow tents just a lot less air flow. When we bought our house, the inspector placed the radon test in the basement and expected the seller to box it up and send it out when the proper time period had elapsed. My bet is the seller just closed the test up shortly after the inspector left to minimize the reading. I should probably test my basement…

How do they abate Radon gas from under a slab floor?
I've never seen one installed, but I believe its a mild vaccum thing. If you have a slab floor, you dont have a basement, and basements are where there are usually problems with radon. Most homes at least have a crawl space, I dont know about a straight slab. You would think a crawl space would be required by code, but I really have no idea.

Most homes in Central America I saw had Massive slab foundations, really thick. Roofs were light weight as they didnt really have hurricanes or tornados, but they did have some earth quakes.

Bubba

Well judging by everything I researched I'm in a low level area for Radon. Looks like it's bad the further north you go. Lots of basements up north.
We are on a slab and we set on limestone. I haven't seen any basements in our area around Dallas.

A friend of mine had a "brother Mason" that kicked with lung cancer at the age of 44. I asked him how many cigarettes a day he smoked. None. Second question was where did he live. Right on Fenton Lake. Third question was did he have a basement? He knew where I was going with my questions, so he said that the radon level was 6 times above the EPA safe level.

I love radon gas, you know why?
If it wasn't for radon I wouldn't own this home

I was in a bid war for it and lost, later they found out about the gas, 5 pCi/L, just 1 over what has to be disclosed, and didn't want it.
So as runner up bidder I was offered the house but at $11k less than my first bid.

I really haven't worried about it.

I've never seen one installed, but I believe its a mild vaccum thing. If you have a slab floor, you dont have a basement, and basements are where there are usually problems with radon. Most homes at least have a crawl space, I dont know about a straight slab. You would think a crawl space would be required by code, but I really have no idea.

Most homes in Central America I saw had Massive slab foundations, really thick. Roofs were light weight as they didnt really have hurricanes or tornados, but they did have some earth quakes.

Bubba
I'll have a pocture soon

I love radon gas, you know why?
If it wasn't for radon I wouldn't own this home

I was in a bid war for it and lost, later they found out about the gas, 5 pCi/L, just 1 over what has to be disclosed, and didn't want it.
So as runner up bidder I was offered the house but at $11k less than my first bid.

I really haven't worried about it.
1676898716083.png

Several houses in my neighborhood have abatement systems installed. I think it is similar to the exhaust fans we put on grow tents just a lot less air flow. When we bought our house, the inspector placed the radon test in the basement and expected the seller to box it up and send it out when the proper time period had elapsed. My bet is the seller just closed the test up shortly after the inspector left to minimize the reading. I should probably test my basement…
Yup

Latest posts

Back