Rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GanjaGuru

Reaction score
Why oh why don't people who set out to grow weed spend a few minutes reading up on the subject (such as a grow guide)?
There is such a wealth of info available it boggles the mind.
When I first started to grow, the only way you could get info was if you KNEW someone who already successfully grown a crop.
For the first 4 years, I didn't know how to get buds.
I knew enough to plant in the spring.
But I'd pick leaves and by mid-summer the plants would be picked clean i.e. dead.
I'd look at a bag of weed I bought and then a bag of pot leaves I grew and I'd be like ***?
I also didn't know that pot, unlike most other plants on earth have seperate sexes, and that to get buds you had to wait. I remember the year after I found out pot had seperate sexes and you had to wait until fall and that only the females grow seeds, I saw some balls forming on a plant and I thought "all right those are seeds so it's a female" so I ripped up all the plants that didn't have "seeds".
The "seeds" weren't seeds at all; they were male pollen sacs, so what I thought were females were actually males. What I had done in reality was kill the girls. So another year with no buds.
I finally found out what was what the following year. I had forgotten about some seeds I had planted behind the garage that spring and when I went back there to chop weeds in Oct I came upon a scraggly, untended plant--that had buds!!!
I knew I had to find out more so I went to the library and started to read about horticulture in general.
I discovered that pot was an annual so I started to research annuals and found out about flowering and budset & stuff.
And then finally the next year, armed with knowledge I brought in a bountiful crop of buds.

Nowadays all someone has to do is google >marijuana cultivation< and discover links to numerous grow guides. They can find out in a few minutes what it took me years to discover thru trial and error.
But do people do that?
Noooooo.
Indoors especially, the people who succeed most often are those that read up on the subject. Even with over 20 years exp. growing outdoors I read up on indoor cultivation before I spent a dime on equip. And learned quite a lot.

Which brings me to another point.
Visiting cultivation websites and talking to several people I know who own growshops I've come to the conclusion that people who are thinking about growing weed enough to join a site such as this quit growing after a few months, if they start at all.
They either discover that indoor growing is harder, costs more $$ and takes more of a committment--and lifestyle change--than they thought, or their plants die or the results are so bad they give up.
I remember I was advising one guy on how to row outside. I emphasized the need to dig holes, and to work & amend the soil.
The next day he told me he planted 50 seeds.
"You dug 50 holes since yesterday?" I asked.
He said "No, I just threw them on the ground."
"Don't you remember what I said about preparing the site?"
"Yeah" he answered "I'll do that later."
Sheesh.
And then there are the liars. People who claim to have read grow guides but continue to ask the most basic of Q's.

And finally there are those people at another site that I try to encourage to grow outside but it's like banging my head against the wall.
I tell them all it costs for a guerilla grow is a few bux and hikes twice a week to grow thousands of dollars worth of weed.
Some of these people are kids. They get money from mommy and daddy and do not yet know the value of a dollar.
But jeez even if they're getting $ that way you'd think they'd grow weed so they could spend their allowance on other stuff.

Typical newbie post:
I threw some seeds on my driveway and they started growing, so I pulled 'em up and planted them in an aquarium under my bed. How long til I get buds?

End Rant mode.

00000033.gif

yea reading stuff on the net is misleading rather ask growers ,you know with crops and the pics to prove

I agree. Before I posted my first question I lurked for 6 months and had ed rosenthals book "The Closet Cultivator". I read and read, verified info and verified info. (cross searching). I still read a part of a grow guide a day. Just to head something off or try a new way.

I find that there are thre types of growers. The novelty grower (75% give up after the first grow). The mass production grower (eventually gets busted sooner or later, all it takes is one mistake). Or the personal grower. (They grow because they love every aspect of weed from cultivation to smoking).

So cheers to all you personal growers. (which is most of the members on this site).

i agree..plus i just put some seeds in a milk jug and they started growing..when can i expect buds? lol..just messin.

Yep, I learned everything on my own. I mean, I asked a question or two, but that was after I couldn't find it after researching.

Then, after all that I finally started posting and really gaining more information.

The method to use when gathering information from any sources or combinations of sources is to find data that says the same thing over and over. Quite often, you can then find scientific information that supports that data.

Reading has almost become a lost art. I know a guy who actually BRAGS about not having read any book outside of school in his entire life. He's a walking source for bullshit. Everything he thinks he knows is hand me down wife's tales that are 99% bullshit.

I read a book each week. I do an educational book then a fun book. You can learn from the fun ones as well. Almost all fiction books contain information that is based on fact. That's what makes them interesting.

There is a set of books in every library named:
"BOOKS IN PRINT"

It's a huge collection of every book that is currently in print, arranged by Author in one set and by subject in another set. ALL libraries have them I think.

I looked up "Hydroponics" back in the 70's and ordered them 2 at a time through what's known as an "Inter-Library Loan".

This way of ordering books is totally free. It doesn't cost a cent.

Over a period of two years, I read every single one of them that was listed. Every year, I look for the new ones I haven't read and I order them.

I discovered that after the first four or so, only some of the information in the books was unique. I was able rapidly read over the duplicate information and make notes on only the new data.

Now I'll tell you the results; I spent the afternoon with a guy who has a Doctorate in Agricultural Sciences, and he told me that I knew more about Hydroponics than anyone he has ever met, including him. That made me feel very, very good.

That's what you can do by reading.

BTW, if you want to read what is considered to be the "Bible" of Hydroponics, then get "Hydroponic Food Production" by Dr. Howard Resh

That one book contains enough information to set up any form of Hydroponic growing at home. You'll have to adapt the methods discussed to a smaller scale, but all of his methods have been proven by scientists throughout the world.

Latest posts

Back