Re-use dirt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craterlake

Reaction score
Hi folks!
Just wondering something...I just bought a few huge bags of dirt for my upcoming garden, and I was wondering if one could re-use the dirt after harvesting the plants. I didn't think that was a good idea, so I threw out last harvests dirt into my outside flower garden. But I got to thinking that we put nutrients in the soil, so what would be the problem with using the old dirt? Maybe through a couple grows anyways...

Reusing your soil is fine, though it's generally recommended to add some dolomite lime to it before use. You also want to ensure all the old roots are out of the soil. Run the soil through a sifter to get the bulk of them out, if you can.

-nasty

:yeahthat: there are other amendments to add as well someone will chime in with a lil more help than I can provide being a hydro kind a guy.

Bat Guano, worm castings, bone meal, blood meal, coffee grinds, so on and so forth. There are many amendments you can add, but adding dolomite lime to it will keep the pH balanced so that it can be reused.

-nasty

I use half, half a pot of old dirt and half a pot of new dirt, jmo.

Thanks all! I was thinking about mixing it half and half. This will definitely save me a little $$:D

I'm right now reuseing soil, there's a sticky on here by the three little birds, 3LBs, I used it for a guide line but didn't follow it exactly,

for every 15 gallons of used, I put 5 gallons of new happy frog soil, plus 1.5 cups soybean meal 1.5 cups alfalfa meal, 1 cup greensand, 1 cup 4-4-5 happyfrog fertilizer 1 cup of powdered oystershells, 1 cup of 0-5-0 happy frog bat dung, handfull of lime and a sprinkle of salts, I didn't buffer or anything and my new grow seems to love, it's in the organics section it.http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12690

I got in trouble by cutting my ffof with happy frog. I won't do that again as I am doing my own thing now too. Still looking for the soybean meal and green sand. But i haven't looked really hard yet as i still have some time. It is kinda like cooking.

Rosebud said:
I got in trouble by cutting my ffof with happy frog. I won't do that again as I am doing my own thing now too. Still looking for the soybean meal and green sand. But i haven't looked really hard yet as i still have some time. It is kinda like cooking.

Ya, it's cooking, I call percolating, The Alfalfa meal has sprouted in the mix,I talked to Chefnovelle about it, I guess the're whats create the Mycorrhizae, I mixed another batch of soil today out of used and still have quite a bit of dirt to go through, I found that there's a tool for cleaning cat litter boxes that great for straining roots out of soil!!. also Watering and amending with the organic nutes seems to of fixed any problems I might of incurred with the happy frog, Two of my plants yellowed bad, but they were big clones gifted to me in 3 gallon pots, they look like they been through the inquesition, big time torture lol, we finally got a frost last night. Check in the feed stores for soybean meal.

Latest posts

Back