Ready or not? Here she comes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaJane

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first growing attempt and would like your expert opinions on whether this plant is ready for harvest or not. I have stopped adding nutrients to their water a week ago in the prospect of harvesting them in about a week time. As I have no clue what variety these plants are (seeds found in stash) I do not have a precise cycle to follow. Any help is highly welcomed.
One more thing from the first picture do you think that that my plants get too much heat/light?

View attachment IMG_2575.JPG

View attachment IMG_2593.JPG

View attachment IMG_2595.JPG

View attachment IMG_2601.JPG

You did good to get them this far, but as you already there are a few issues to improve upon, knowing this is the sign of wanting to be a better grower.

Here's what I see, plants that have been stressed due to light timing issues. Heat and humidity issues that need immediate addressing. A lot of broken trich heads, maybe gone longer than needed, or too much contact?

Looks good Bro for your first attempt you got them all the way to harvest great Job. You will improve on every grow. Green mojo

Thanks a lot for your advices guys, it is really appreciated
Yes indeed I have made too much contact as I ve recently reconfigured my small dark room (60*60cm) to higher the light as much as possible. I did not control the growth properly and the plants grew too close to the light. Since I have very little space to higher the lamp further I ve tried to bend them but broke one of the plants in the process and might have damaged the others.

I use one 400 HPS lamp and a Can-Fan Metal in Line Fan RS100 100mm - 200m³/h. I also have an internal fan for better ventilation. Temp is usually around 28-30 degrees and humidity between 50% and 60%. 12hour automatic lighting has been set too.

How long before they are ready you reckon?

Get yourself a jeweller lope and have a look at the trich's sativa you want cloudy trich's indica people go for amber trich's .
Looking up the strain you are growing gives you an idea of flowering times?
You do not want your RH past 50% or you could have bud rot
What are you growing?

I have no clue what variety these plants are (seeds found in stash). So I m on my own on this one. Have a 10x jeweler loupe but it is not strong enough. Getting a 40x this week.
They look like Skunk #1 though...

You definitely need the 40x loupe to look at the trichomes to get the best timing for harvest. They look good though. You must have done some homework before starting. Most people who start out straight away without much help usually fail on their ffirst attempts.

A bit of advice though, you got lucky on this one with the "bag seed" as those more often than not end up being hermaphrodites that ruin the harvest. Now that you have your ffirst grow just about in the jars, you need to look at buying some quality seeds from a reputable breeder. Here is a good place to begin looking at strains: www.worldwide-marijuana-seeds.com :) make sure you have about 2 hours to burn before you go here as there are a lot of seeds to choose from :eek:

There is no way that you can determine strain if you do not know what you planted. Even with clones from the same mother you can get varied growth patterns.

How long have these been flowering? The last pic, the plant seems to be developing single bladed leaves which could be a sign of revegging. Overall though they look quite nice. They look to be sativa dominant, so will probably take at least a 9-12 week flowering period. But like mentioned, the only real way to tell is to check the trichs with a 30x or better scope.

Yeah I will certainly look for better seeds next time. This came somewhat unplanned as plants started to grow outside from seeds I had thrown in my garden pots.
They have been flowering approx. from November 19.

If they didn't start flowering until Nov 19, I doubt that they are done. They have a very sativa look to them and sats take longer to mature. I would start feeding them again.

I agree with HG - and for the obvious effort put forth by you, you will be floored over what happens when you do just what you did - with good genetics. I can not do perpetual grows or experiments with unknowns. Yours are healthy and you learned, so now get ready for a whole world that these genius breeders have made available. IMO - with good genes, go easier on all that pruning. You'll have bud sites you never thought possible.

Hey guys, here s an update on the girls. It seems that the two in the largest pot are ready for harvest while the other five still need a bit of time. I have finally got the 40x magnifier/loupe and trichs can be seen more clearly. They are cloudy on the two big ones while the other five still have clear trichs. I have flushed the largest pot with approx 3l of water at 6.0 ph. Let me know what you think

View attachment 31-12-14 (25).JPG

View attachment close up.jpg

View attachment IMG_2616.JPG

View attachment IMG_2617.JPG

View attachment IMG_2629.jpg

View attachment IMG_2631.jpg

View attachment IMG_2632.jpg

If it was me and I'm a noob I would wait till all are at least cloudy and the 2 might be amber by that time and I would harvest. Depends on what type of high you are after .
How tall are those girls?
Green mojo bro

Those look real nice. I am seeing a little ffox tailing happening there on them but that's not a problem. I couldn't tell much on the trichomes from the pics but I thought I saw a few amber trichs scattered across the buds. I personally try to let them get about 5-10% amber on the buds with 90% milky/cloudy before harvesting. Now if you had a room full of those, you would have something. I really like the bluish/purplish color on the one set of buds. I would say there are some "blue" genetics in those. :)

good job there, these buds look tasty, for a 1st grow from bagseed i would guess that it is a combination of both, talent in botany and good luck that got you this far. how are these soil ph testers working for you? because IME they were a waste

i am a noob as well. i have 3 harvests under my belt. the thing i would do if i could go back in time with all three grows is i would wait longer. most of the experienced growers would recommend to me that i wait 'another week or so' when i would post a similar thread. the plants i let go that little bit longer are categorically always better. i have grown a some sativas like your girls look to be and i would wait until they get a lot more amber. the buzz from a sativa is pretty uplifting but can be down right jittery if you have too many clear trichs. they look beautiful. you have done a great job for a 'noob'. my 2 cents though is i'd wait 'another week or so' if you can(i rarely can)...

just did the math. you are a little over 6 weeks into flower. i went 14 weeks with my thai plants...

Thanks Oldfogey, I will just do that. I ll keep them for a while longer and continue to water them at ph 6.0. One quick question do you know what EC should be coming back from the residual water? While ph seems to be ok (6.2) the EC is still quite high and wondering if this will affect taste at the end.

Btw @zem these PH testers were indeed a waste. They do not give accurate readings and were not helpful at all.

Latest posts

Back