Ready to Pollenate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PencilHead

Reaction score
Need suggestions, guidance and prayers to protect against stray pollen.

Collected the pollen in folded paper bindles. I've got both frozen and fresh (maybe 2 weeks old). Which is better?

Saved a lower branch for this purpose that I would have ordinarily lost in popcorning.

My plants are waaay too big to pull out of the flowering room--the door is a 2-0, the plants are about 36"--so I'm planning on pulling the plant to the door, segregating the chosen limb and fertilizing it, fans off.

Wait 30 minutes and then spritz everything else?

Help me out here, guys, I'm in virgin territory and don't trust myself yet.

definatly turn all fans off.. and it may be wise to cover your selected branch with something and spray the whole plant down with water before you begin.. just a safety precaution.
just be very carefull. can't really say much else.. only tried it once myself, and i removed them from my room.

good luck :)

In addition to what kaotik said, use a small artist paint brush. Wet it a little & apply the pollen to the areas you want. After that put a baggy over the area you pollenated to help prevent it from becoming air born. If it pollenates, you will see the hairs turn color. Remove the bag & water it down good. Thats it. If they stay white, no pollenation. It they turn color, pollenated.

Make sure the fans are off & move slowly when you do this. Just your movement can stir the air up enough to make it air born. Take your time.

DLM3 said:
In addition to what kaotik said, use a small artist paint brush. Wet it a little & apply the pollen to the areas you want. After that put a baggy over the area you pollenated to help prevent it from becoming air born. If it pollenates, you will see the hairs turn color. Remove the bag & water it down good. Thats it. If they stay white, no pollenation. It they turn color, pollenated.

Make sure the fans are off & move slowly when you do this. Just your movement can stir the air up enough to make it air born. Take your time.

I'm confused, DLM. Wet the paint brush? Doesn't water render the pollen null and void?

Reactions: D3
I collected my pollen from my male who was segregated to a different room in a different part of the house. Then I shut off all fans and used a fine artist paint brush to brush the buds I wanted to pollinate and marked them with a small piece of pipe cleaner. Then waited a cpl hours...then I sprayed the plant down with water and after another hour or so put her back in my flowering tent...

Yes it does, but it's always worked for me. I dont wet the brush that much. Just enough so the pollen will stay on the brush & not become air born. I only paint one small bud so I can put alot on that bud. Than I put a baggy over it till the hairs start to turn. I know that water does that, but there's so much pollen on the brush that the moisture doesn't affect all of the pollen.

I noticed in the past, that the plant that I pollenate, (even one small bud on it) would not be as tall & the bud structure of the plant was not as good as the plants that were not pollenated. The reason is the plant directs most of it's energy to the area that was pollenated to produce seed, so the plant doesn't stretch as much & the buds arn't as tight. Still great smoke though. Later Man

Defdinately mark your bud somehow, I use a twisty tie from a bread wrapper. I have not had what DLM3 said...I can never tell the difference in the bud thats been polinated.

I do things almost exactly like Hammy described.

Good luck bud...I really wish you could bring the plants out of the room, but I'm sure you'll make it work. I like to isolate for an hour or so...but if ya can't, ya can't.

One more thing...a little pollen makes a bunch of seeds. I pollinated 2 seperate buds from 2 different plants this round, and probably have 100-200 seeds out of just 2 average sized buds.

Thanks, guys. I've got a bottom branch I'm pollenating, saved for that purpose. I can pull it down and away from everything else. I think I'm gonna drape the rest of the plant with 3 mill plastic.

I've gotta do it soon because RH is an issue where I live and that equals the big Bo--can't be misting and spritzing after my buds start tightening up.

Listen, I'm thinking of getting my wife to do it and tell her she has to get naked so she won't spread pollen. Is that too just-wrong?

Sorry, a bro was over and we were doing bubble hash bong hits and early Newcastles. I should be ashamed of myself and since I'm not, I promise to try doubley hard tomorrow.;)

Thanks all for the input. Over and out/off to the pub.:D

PH it's only wrong if your wife finds out you lied to her.....otherwise it's all good...:)

Hamster Lewis said:
I collected my pollen from my male who was segregated to a different room in a different part of the house. Then I shut off all fans and used a fine artist paint brush to brush the buds I wanted to pollinate and marked them with a small piece of pipe cleaner. Then waited a cpl hours...then I sprayed the plant down with water and after another hour or so put her back in my flowering tent...

Did it work?

the pollen didnt spread in the tent?

very interesting, why put it back with the others?, why not put the female where the male had been growing and toss him, sorry for the questions but i am very interested, gonna try this.

dman1234 said:
Did it work?

the pollen didnt spread in the tent?

very interesting, why put it back with the others?, why not put the female where the male had been growing and toss him, sorry for the questions but i am very interested, gonna try this.

It cld not go where the male was growing because he was only getting light from 1 measly lil cfl...(males don't need much light if all you are going to do is use them for pollen chucking) She went back under the 600w and yes it worked..no other unplanned pregnancies ...:)

Latest posts

Back