recommendations for best flavor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogey8

Very grouchy and ornery today…
Reaction score
i have 3 grows under my belt. i have not really changed things up much and i am happy with the potentcy, bag appeal and smell of the fruits of my labor. i just am not getting the taste i really am looking for and being a bit ocd, that is the pea under my mattress so to speak.

i use roots organix soil in 3 gallon felt pots. the basic nutes i have used are 'gobox' which is by general hydroponics. it is supposed to be organic but i am not totally sold on being organic. i just got it because it was supposed to be a box with veg and bloom nutes. i have aso tried various additives like snow storm ultra, open sesame, beatie blooms and cha ching as well as this mychordzhie or however you spell it stuff(though i used that without the non-organic stuff cause i read that some nutes will kill the mychordizae). i get good yeilds too. about 10 ounces from 2 thai plants in a 4x4x2 mothers tent using 4 4ft ho t5 bulbs and another 100 watts or so of assorted cfl's.

i have grown 6 different strains(la confidential, greenhouse seeds thai, dp master kush, stacked kush, etc) and they all taste basically the same. i get a bit of a metallic taste from the smoke whether i smoke it in a bong or joint. vaping is different. tastes nice vaping. (i wonder if this is a clue too as vaping maybe does not get hot enough to get whatever the metallic taste is out of the bud)

i think my dry and cure is ok. i dry them until the stems just snap then jar them up and monitor the humidity and slowly bring them down to just below 60%. i have some buds stashed that are about a year and a half old. i store with boveda 62 packs. the old smoke tastes like the newer smoke. it is all more potent than i really need and the taste is not horrible, just not primo.

i have some melvanetics buckeye purple coming and i want to grow it right. i am thinking of investing in a 400 w hps for flowering if folks think that might help with taste.

i may have erred and harvested too early on all three grows(not a lot of amber trichs) because i obsess about letting them go too long. if that could be the culprit, please let me know.

thanks in advance...

of8

What are you curing them in?

i cure in 1 quart glass mason jars. i remove the buds periodically and reload the jars to even out the cure.

Well that is not the problem.
I would not harvest early.
I also never use those bloom boosters. I am not much help

lol. thanks, duck. my first 2 grows i did not use the bloom boosters either so i don't think those are the problem either. the common components are soil, nutes and lights. i know my lights are kind of going cheapo but i have seen people get good results with t5's. don't know about the taste though.

here is another thing. my tent is in a room that measures probably 8x8 and there are 2 cat litter boxes in the room. could an excess of ammonia(i keep the boxes clean but i know urine has ammonia in it) cause a metallic taste?

IMO, strain isd almost entirely strain related. Start with a strain known for its great taste and see if you get better taste. Taste should not be affected adversely because you are using T5s. While they are not generally the first choice of growers, there is not reason that the potency and taste should be equal to HID lighting as long as you are not underlit...Do you have an enclosed space set up in that 8 x 8 room or is the light just set up in a corner of it? I do not believe that airborne ammonia ifrom a catbox s going to give the plants a metallic taste.

thanks thg. i grow in a 4x4x2 'mothers tent' i bought at a grow store. potentcy is not the problem. i'd gladly sacrifice potentcy for flavor to be honest. i can only handle a couple of drags off a 'marijuana cigarette' or i get beyond toasty.

my plants always look healthy to the end. i have wondered if it is flushing that is the problem too but i have also read where flushing or not feeding the plants the last couple of weeks is not needed especially when you use organic nutes(which my first grow was totally organic. none of the bloom enhancers of my most recent grow).

maybe it is just me. i smoked some white widow over in the netherlands this past summer and it did not taste much different than what i grow. i just remember some great tasting smoke when i was a younger dude in the 70's.

i was reading over a post by aluminum monster and it says what he is using for soil and nutes. might as well start there.

and my smoke is smooth. maybe i should quit with my 'first world problems'? :ccc:

Also, look for something that is known for its great flavor. White Widow does not impress me and never has.

Different soil and nutrients are not going to change the taste....

Any recommendations as far as taste goes thg?

I have grown Barney's Farm Pineapple Chunk and had it taste pretty decent, a little lemony. But then I gave a cut to a friend who grew it in FFOF soil and used GO nutes. When I smoked his, it knocked my socks off with a pineapple taste that made me think I had just bit into some fresh pineapple. Its not a killer potent smoke, more of a nice clear head, uplifting high. It clones so easy I would swear you could drop a cut on the floor and it would root if it stayed wet. Pretty easy growing plant that produces some nice size nugs but not a stellar yielder. Worth trying if you want tasty smoke. :) I would also recommend to use Hygrozyme through the flower cycle. I use it and it seems to make my bud have better potency and flavor. I used to get good reviews but since using the Hygrozyme, I get rave reviews.

thanks puppy. just read a bit about hygrozyme. like everything else out there, some folks love it and some folks hate it. however, my root balls get pretty dense. i may get a small bottle and see what it does. i like the sound of fresh roots. not sure why.

You are not gonna change taste by adding anything to the soil, do you like a strong kush flavour, Lary og is great tasting to me but im a kush head. Good genetics and a good cure is your best way to the taste u want.

Mostly white. If it is not totally white does that indicate it is still too moist?

You guys are saying nutrients and soil don't affect Taste? Other than heat and strain it's only thing that would affect it yes?

I have read that using fish based nutes during flower can cause a bad flavor which is one reason I thought my nutes could be the cause of my flavor issue. Go box is more complicated than I think it needs to be which is one reason I am thinking of changing nutes too. Probably feed my house plants and make them happy with what I have left.

No, I do not believe that pH swings can change taste either. IMO, it is totally strain related and in the dry and cure. I also do not believe that fish based nutrients cause a bad taste either. If that is your concern, flush them at the end, but we do know that plants simply do not pick up the flavor of what we feed them. Otherwise that old wives tale about giving them grape soda to make them taste like grapes would work and organic grows would taste like sh*t.....

Latest posts

Back