Record Support For Marijuana Legalization In California According To New Poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From the weedblog.com

Record Support For Marijuana Legalization In California According To New Poll

Posted by Johnny Green at 7:00 AM on June 9, 2015

June 9, 2015

California is the crown jewel for the marijuana reform movement. Marijuana legalization is way, way overdue in California. California voters saw marijuana legalization on the ballot for the first time in 2010. Proposition 19 failed. Attempts in 2012 and 2014 fell short because there were too many campaigns working against each other, and none of them received national funding, which is vital to the success of any marijuana reform campaign. Activists and organizations have their eyes on 2016 as the year that California finally joins the other states and Washington D.C. that have legalized recreational marijuana.
According to a new poll, there is record setting support for marijuana legalization in California. Per SF Gate:
A record-high 54 percent of California residents support ending cannabis prohibition, a June 3 poll from the Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC) finds.
Among likely California voters, that number rises to 56 percent, PPIC finds, lending momentum to efforts to legalize the botanical in the 2016 general election.
California cannabis legalization polls worse among Latinos, women, conservatives, and seniors.
While this is the highest poll result I’ve seen for marijuana legalization support in California, it’s not the first one that I’ve seen with majority support. I do think that at face value, a majority of Californians support marijuana legalization. However, the question becomes ‘what form of marijuana legalization?’ The devil is going to be in the details in California. Each provision of an initiative can result in a net gain or net loss in voter support. There needs to be polling conducted on the initiatives that are currently out there, as well as a couple of other versions of an initiative. The one that polls the best should get the support of everyone working towards achieving legalization,especially national funders. That’s the only way that California is going to legalize in 2016 in my opinion.

About Johnny Green

Johnny Green is a marijuana activist from Oregon. He has a Bachelor's Degree in Public Policy.

Latest posts

Back