Red spectrum during the Veg stage;

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iClown

Stoned Indefinitly.
Reaction score
Hey I know you need blue for veg, red for flowering and a little blue helps in flowering aswell, but is it true that red spectrum does almost nothing to your plants during the vegetative stage?

i use 6500k cfl to veg with but i also throw some 2700ks ones int here just for good measure but thats just me. i look at it like this when there outside they jst dont get one kind of light spectrum so cant hurt inside either again JMO i might be wrong tho ;)

UKgirl420 said:
well people veg and flower under hps :confused:
yeah that...so you cant go wrong with it thats for sure.but as for doing "nothing" to your plants thats not true,especially since people do use hps for veg and flower and get great results.

you just have to remember that the blue for veg and red for flower are absolute technicalities...for an absolute professional grow(take it how ya want but anyone should know what i mean).you can cut some corners and do things a bit different and still achieve great results like flowering with CFLS and still getting some really nice bud.but all the blue spectrum and red spectrum and HPS during flower and the 5k of lumens per square foot are all for maximum efficiency and yield,not meaning the only way to go.

Yeah I always wondered how plants veg under HPS, is it pure red spectrum?

since this is about red and blue i have to ask this for friend bc he ask me and i dunno
this is what he asked
"why arent mh used for flowering they look more orange than hps?"
im sure thats what he ask i simply said hps was more intense light therefore better
ive never seen an mh light lite so i dont know what the bulb looks like
so if this makes sense to you
whats a good answer for him

im using a MH right now for veg and flowering and i can assure you there is NO red/orange light coming from it.its more white than anything,i barely notice a blue to be honest.

also the hps is used for flowering due to its red spectrum that it emits,hence the whole use HPS bit when reading any post about lights not having to do with hps.and that is why its most productive,since the flowering plant uses more of the red spectrum during flowering.im pretty positive on this one anyways.

Almost every light ( with the exception of LEDs cause they are tuned to a single light frequency) has a combination of the entire spectrum. The different bulbs are manufactured with materials that will luminate certain parts of the spectrum more than a bulb of another type.

The human eye cannot tell how much blue or red or yellow light is coming from a bulb.... it just sees a combination of all the visible spectrum....

Look at a mercury vapor lamp.... really blue looking light..... but it is misleading, try growing a plant under it..... doesn't work very well 8)

You just have to learn what kind of bulb you want for your different stages of plant growth to benefit your lil ones the most when they need it the most.

Latest posts

Back