reflector hood question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhappy324

love ,peace , never cease
Reaction score
Can a reflector hood be used in a 48in x 48in x 78in tent given enough ventilation to keep temps down? or do I absolutely need the air cooled hood ???

It would be 600w hps/mh ballast and bulbs

It can just be very hard to keep a tent cool enough without an air coolable hood, which is why I always recommend them.

Any suggestions on type of air cooled hood ?

What do you guys think about cool tubes ?.

It kind of depends...I like cool tubes for smaller areas and fixtures--400W or less. However, for larger wattage bulbs, I like hoods. The larger hoods will spread the light better in larger spaces.

I run an open reflector hood (400w HPS/MH) in a 39"x39"x71" tent with a 6" fan and carbon filter. My temps stay between 73-75, but I keep my house @ 68F so that may be why I can get by without it?

I keep my house cool too, but cannot run without an air cooled hood. Right now I have a small 32" x 32" tent, a 400W mh, and 4" exhaust fan in a room that stays about 60-65. I tried running for awhile without the glass in the hood, but the temps got close to 90. Put the glass in and connect ducting to it and it is running about 70. While some may be able to run without an air cooled hood, most of us find that we need them.

Latest posts

Back