Reflector or cool tube?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually the Magnum XXL's stomp cool tubes or any other hood. It gives you a full spread of the light intensity over a wider area. As long as you can make the hood fit. Their really big. But yes. As far as ventilation. They are all comparable really.

The cool tube IMHO is the better choice in the end. The vented hood will not have the direct flow like the tube, because the air will circulate around the hood before it is pulled out, where the tube does not. in the summer you can vent to the outside and in the winter you can pull outside air through the tube and vent to the inside, which will help heat your house while allowing warmer air to be pulled through the passive intake keeping your space warmer. I have been researching them lately to battle the Texas heat and have decided to go with the cool tube.

In a large air cooled hood, the air does not circulate around the hood if you have a decent exhaust fan hooked up to it. You do have a larger volume of air, but it is pulled pretty directly from the intake across the bulb to the exhaust. I do not really think there is really much difference in ease of cooling between hoods and cool tubes. As I see it, it is the spread of the light that is vastly different between the two.

The Hemp Goddess said:
In a large air cooled hood, the air does not circulate around the hood if you have a decent exhaust fan hooked up to it. You do have a larger volume of air, but it is pulled pretty directly from the intake across the bulb to the exhaust. I do not really think there is really much difference in ease of cooling between hoods and cool tubes. As I see it, it is the spread of the light that is vastly different between the two.

Well said

Menimeth said:
The cool tube IMHO is the better choice in the end. The vented hood will not have the direct flow like the tube, because the air will circulate around the hood before it is pulled out, where the tube does not. in the summer you can vent to the outside and in the winter you can pull outside air through the tube and vent to the inside, which will help heat your house while allowing warmer air to be pulled through the passive intake keeping your space warmer. I have been researching them lately to battle the Texas heat and have decided to go with the cool tube.

Your crazy :) A hood will stomp the cool tube in yield. If I had 2 little cool tubes in my 4x8 tent, with 1k's instead of magnums. I would drastically reduce my gram per watt.

The thing I hate most about my cool tube is the light spread....I agree with Nchef and THG.

Theres been a lot of awesome points made in this thread, which is why im going to be running BOTH in my grow :p

Ill have a XXXL 1000watt raining light fro mthe top, and a 1000watt cooltube mounted vertically in the middle with my plants boxed around it.

So regardless of which one is better then the other, im going to combine their advantages :D

I'm not sure I see the advantage to running both a vertical and a horizontal light--what are you thoughts on the advantages of doing this?

Deathsmile said:
Theres been a lot of awesome points made in this thread, which is why im going to be running BOTH in my grow :p

Ill have a XXXL 1000watt raining light fro mthe top, and a 1000watt cooltube mounted vertically in the middle with my plants boxed around it.

So regardless of which one is better then the other, im going to combine their advantages :D

Makes no sense. Maybe if you had a 1k on other side too. But then yielding 2600 plus grams is some serious green thumb.

I had a cooltube in a tent and will change for a Adjust-A-Wing. You can put the cooltube closer but the light spread is not good enough IMO.

dontknowmuch said:
I am also debating cool tube or one of those vented hoods, my main concern is if it gets too cold in the area which one would be a better option to run with or without the air when or if needed...does that even make any sense?

The only other thing is to make sure you have enough room to fit a cooltube, i can't exactly remember but i think we both had a similar size room, and there are several different lengths of cooltube depending on brand. Mine, for example ,is 28" long(cooltube) , my space is 28" wide= no good. Had i researched abit more i noticed you can get 18" cooltubes thus having 10" for ducting. Might want to double check , all cooltubes are not equal and if space is an issue, don't make my mistake.:eek:

Ive been told many times that light=yield So basically, since the only way i can financially and technically add my other light/ballast that i have to my grow is in the middle, i figured adding another 1000watt could only help my end yield.

I lost 3/12 plants. So i have to slice and dice my Ebb&grow buckets around to get rid of the empty buckets taking up space. This is that my top view plant arrangement will be somewhat and keep in mind this is the view from the Top Reflector. Each plant will still be under the edge of the top Reflector with the cool tube just above/the same height as the plants vertically:

reallybadpaint1.jpg

I think you would do better to use both lights vertically. Many vertical grows I see utilize more than one bulb. I don't think you even need the cooltube if using vertically.

Latest posts

Back