Reflux columns for producing 190 proof ethanol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a source for triclamp parts and brewery ware: Glacier Tanks | Tri Clamp Fittings & Custom Brewing Tanks
Got my head parts and clamps coming, 90 degree, 45 degree and triclamps and silicone gaskets. Last part will be to attach condenser with and sugar wash here I come. Delivery for Monday.

Forgot to get turbo yeast, maybe some brewer supply has it where I can just go pick it up.

Something to ferment in still needed. I would like the nice 8 gallon stainless fermenter from moonshine distillers but 300 bucks, I will use food grade plastic bucket for sugar wash.

Bubba

You will also need an airlock, citric acid, and some Star San . I get my supplies locally at: F.H. Steinbart Co.
Can always rig up and airlock with some tubing and a water vessel
1642779676742.png

Little more dribbled in, 20 inch copper column extender ( for pot still head or extra height on reflux column) with tri clamp flanges on both ends, TRI clamps, silicone gaskets, silicone gasket with screen to hold stuffing in stainless column, and the hose attachments for condenser.

A bit closer...a bit.

Bubba

Yes, but all the confusion was with the copper pot still head, I was going to a big plumbing supply place, but we got hammered with snow/ice so I'm not getting out in it.

The lower copper extension is what the pot still head will go on. This piece came with the ferrels already attached and soldered, so it was bolt on.

Bubba

Well, after all that I have learned via email with moonshinedistiller, is that the copper Ferrells fit great in copper DWV. Typically used for drains and venting. It has still thinner walls than type M, so obviously also has greater inside diameter.

Bubba

Have the DWV pipe on way to complete copper pot still head. Got to thinking yesterday morning, that while it might be to cold to sit out in the garage with still,, for the water/vinegar cleaning run I could do that inside, no flamable vapors there.

Plopped the 8 gallon boiler on top of the Gas stove's largest eye. I had to remove the column and run it in pot still (albeit stainless) mode due to lack of ceiling height.

This gave me a chance to see how it runs and answered a bunch of questions I had been wondering about. I had 2.5 gallons of vinegar/water and cooked out a little over a gallon of it. I guess it did its job, when the distillate began to flow it smelled of stainless steel and vinegar. After a while it just smelled like vinegar. Up to 50 today, maybe I can try another with the column and the propane heater combo.

Quite impressed with fit, finish and workmanship on these parts from Moonshinedistillers. They quickly answered all emails, and were extremely fast on the shipping. I have ordered 4 or 5 times, each time results were good. The order with the column itself was "delayed" because of covid employee issues... it was still only a week. faster than most places running full speed.

Bubba

Got a few more triclamps and stainless steel 45 degree and 90 degree 2" pieces with triclamp ferrules on each end. I ordered them from the outfit you suggested, prompt and fast shipping. Bubba

They are local and where I got the parts to build the first closed loop Terpenator extraction system.

Latest posts

Back