required vegg time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizzy323

Reaction score
for sog starting from seed how long should i vegg? whats the minium amount of time that you have to vegg the plant for it to be ready to flower?

hey biz Most SOG grows are ran with clones, seeds don't SOG well. Why? because mj isn't geneticly designed to flower untill it has reached "sexual maturity", which usually takes 4-6 weeks. Then you have differing phenotypes to deal with. Inevitably, regardless of the stability of the strain/seeds, there are going to be different plants that grow at different speeds, or stretch more. Males would also need to be culled, leaving a hole in your SOG.

SOG are predominatly clones, all from the same plant(or at least very similar pheno's) rooted together at the same time, in order to keep a nice even canopy.

sorry for this but what is SOG and phenotypes apologisies for taking over the thread dont mean to but i dont know what they are sorry again for any offence

-Sea of Green (SOG) is the theory of harvesting lots of small plants, matured early to get the fastest production of buds available. Instead of growing a few plants for a longer period of time, in the same space many smaller plants are grown that mature faster and in less time. Thus, less time is required between crops.
The plants should create what is called a "green canopy" that traps most of the light at the top level of the plants. Little light will penetrate below this level, since the plants are so close together. The gardener is attempting to concentrate on the top of the plant, and use the light and space to the best advantage, in as little time as possible.

Phenotype - literally means "the form that is shown"; it is the outward, physical appearance of a particular trait.

Two brothers, one short one tall, are different phenotypes.

i was reading in another post that you have to wait for the plants to reach maturity before putting them into flowering how would you know when they are ready or do you just clone a plant that is at that point and just make alot of copies and put them in to flowering when they reach a certain height, sorry for this but i just need to know as much as i can thanks guys

"Sexual Maturity" is reached when nodes alternate and/or pre-flowers are exhibited. Clones taken from a sexually mature plant are ready to flower immeadiatly after rooting, or thy can be vegged(grown) to a specific heighth then flowered.

"Two brothers, one short one tall, are different phenotypes."

And two sisters, both horny, is a party.

Sexual maturity (with marijuana) is when the plant exhibits alternating nodes. This generally occurs at 4 weeks veg but can vary.

How many nodes should be alternating? Alternating on the main stem only, or can it be on the branches coming from the nodes? Several nodes or just one? Lastly, does the length of the space between the alternating nodes matter?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am getting ready to flower and I want to be sure!

My understanding, or opinion,,,"Any" alternating node is a sign. Distance between nodes is irrelevant to flowering. BUT, once stimulated to flower, within 2-3 weeks, it will at least double in heigth.

Latest posts

Back